Thread: Nascar style roof and hood flaps for safety?

Nascar style roof and hood flaps for safety?

Are there either any supercars or tuned sports cars with Nascar style passive flaps for safety?

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roof_flap"]Roof flap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    HowStuffWorks

AFAIK the closest things are the Pagani Huayra active flaps.

Being passive the Nascar flaps can be retrofitted into almost any car.
    Maybe autobahn tuned German cars will lead?

Cars don't have the issues that Nascar design led them to.
    So not really necessary for any "real" cars.

The original Porsche 917 developed a variant with dynamically adjusted winglets on each rear corner to improve grip during corners.
    As soon as introduced it was banned
    The Porsche museum has a fantastic video showing the original in operation !!!
    So just as with the Pagani, it's about maintaining effective aero rather than a "panic option" when going backwards at speed -- when the Nascar design induces lift that had to be stopped.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 09-23-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

NASCAR flaps are the same category of aero add-on as the big honking fin on the LMP cars....probably actually more effective than the LMP fin....

Also, normal cars don't operate in nearly the same regime as the oval track cars at 200mph....I don't see the need for it...no more than the need for every car to have a roll cage...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    The original Porsche 917 developed a variant with dynamically adjusted winglets on each rear corner to improve grip during corners.
    As soon as introduced it was banned
    The Porsche museum has a fantastic video showing the original in operation !!!
    I'd be very interested to see that video if you have a link available. I did a little searching on YouTube but I couldn't seem to find it.

I've got it in the camera folders somewhere. Not very good, video of a flat screen showing their video, but I'd not seen it before and is brilliant to then look at the actual car and work out how it was all done with linkages, no computers at all
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

FSAE car's been doing that also, but now people are actually moving into computer controlled wings now....one of the few area where FSAE is going further than what most other racing series since there are less rules...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    FSAE car's been doing that also, but now people are actually moving into computer controlled wings now....one of the few area where FSAE is going further than what most other racing series since there are less rules...
    Sadly, that's kind of why my school's program jumped ship to Baja SAE. We simply couldn't raise the R&D funds to keep up with teams running carbon-fiber chassis, movable aero, and all that stuff.

You have teams like Oregon State which have enough money to make a film about their program with its own website.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I don't see that as an issue. You can still do well in FSAE without all those, you might not win, but all the engineering skills and experience is still valid.

Design judges will still recognize what you have done with what you have available...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information