Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M3 vs 2011 Mustang GT

Well I don't think of this test as being some sort of demonstration of "Hey, the new Mustang is just as good as a BMW", though the comments I've read on the net about this article show that a lot of people seem to think so. Obviously the M3 is a world class luxury sports coupe, which is why Ford chose it as the benchmark for the new Mustang's performance capabilities. There's no attempt being made here to try and paint the Mustang as some sort of "M3 at a discount price". I think this test just goes a long ways towards enlightening the automotive public that the Mustang is no longer just a straight line tank.
    Last edited by ThisBlood147; 08-28-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    Well I don't think of this test as being some sort of demonstration of "Hey, the new Mustang is just as good as a BMW", though the comments I've read on the net about this article show that a lot of people seem to think so. Obviously the M3 is a world class luxury sports coupe, which is why Ford chose it as the benchmark for the new Mustang's performance capabilities. There's no attempt being made here to try and paint the Mustang as some sort of "M3 at a discount price". I think this test just goes a long ways towards enlightening the automotive public that the Mustang is no longer just a straight line tank.
    This. They're still very different cars. If all you cared aout was track times get a Caterham 7 and you'd be faster still for even less money. Obviously a Caterham is in a different market, as are the Mustang and M3, though maybe not so markedly so.

I think something else that people are missing is that as the 3 series gets larger and more comfortable, the M3 has to sufer the same fate. It's not the hardcore little car that originally made the name so famous, it really is a luxury sports coupe. In fact if you look at the numbers at the end of the article, it's bigger than the Mustang with more interior room, too.

Still, Stangs rule, so lets end this whole live axel bashing thing.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I haven't thought of buying American for a long time now. I've had Audi's and Infiniti's for about 10yrs now. I'm getting close to another purchase. I thought I was set on the Camaro SS until the new Mustang 5.0 came along. I've driven the Camaro and wasn't really impressed. Going to take a test drive in the Mustang soon. But after all the magazine comparos, I think I'll be leaning towards the Mustang for the sheer sportiness and value....

Funny thing is that the Challenger is falling further and further behind. It was inferior to both the Camaro and the Mustang from the beginning, but now... well, we will see. There are still rumors of a new 6.4l Hemi engine for 2011.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    There are still rumors of a new 6.4l Hemi engine for 2011.
    Problem is, for almost the price of a GT500, the SRT-8 gets beat by the camaro and the mustang gt.

they need to quit screwing around and charge 30 something for the challenger srt-8 and then just make a stinkin' SRT-10 with the viper engine priced around the GT500 and the upcoming z-28
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    they need to quit screwing around and charge 30 something for the challenger srt-8 and then just make a stinkin' SRT-10 with the viper engine priced around the GT500 and the upcoming z-28
    That will do nothing - a high-priced low volume model? The SRT-8 will not cost 30 grand, because it won't make money at that price. The Challenger needs to be something it is not: good.

I predict it will die while the Camaro and Mustang will live on.

Given it's based on the 300 platform I imagine it'll continue as long as it can help justify that platform and its engineering. Hopefully some more sportiness/competence will be engineered into future versions of the platform to gain some market share.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Well the problem is that it came out basically the size/weight of the Charger, instead of competing with the Mustang. It's a better looking 2 door version of that car. Which isn't really something that will sell. If they make the SRT-10 model it will at least get that back.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I have to say, I know I shouldn't and I know it is wrong, but I like the Challenger rather a lot. I know it is a bad car, but it is pretty much irrelevant in this case. It just seems to have so much charisma in a way that the Mustang or the Camaro can't match.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Well the problem is that it came out basically the size/weight of the Charger, instead of competing with the Mustang. It's a better looking 2 door version of that car. Which isn't really something that will sell. If they make the SRT-10 model it will at least get that back.
    I think arguably the same issues apply to the Camaro though with its Zeta underpinnings. Ford wont be repeating that mistake come 2014 and 50th anniversary by the sounds of it though.
    I am the Stig

Falcons are set to pick up that 5.0L V8 by the end of the year, holden has had it all their way vee ate wise for too long now.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I have to say, I know I shouldn't and I know it is wrong, but I like the Challenger rather a lot. I know it is a bad car, but it is pretty much irrelevant in this case. It just seems to have so much charisma in a way that the Mustang or the Camaro can't match.
    I kind of have to agree. I just wish it had the option of more power. Matching the 60's version for performance isn't really something to brag about, in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I think arguably the same issues apply to the Camaro though with its Zeta underpinnings. Ford wont be repeating that mistake come 2014 and 50th anniversary by the sounds of it though.
    Well the Mustang has been inching closer in size and weight to the Camaro. Apparently Ford saw that the others were bigger and thought "we can't have that!"
    Big cities suck

Yes, hopefully Ford's ushering in of the age of independent rear suspension for the entire Mustang production line in 2014/15 doesn't mean that they plan to build it on the Taurus platform or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    Yes, hopefully Ford's ushering in of the age of independent rear suspension for the entire Mustang production line in 2014/15 doesn't mean that they plan to build it on the Taurus platform or something.
    Hopefully they'll do what they should have done years ago and merge it with our Falcon platform.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Hopefully they'll do what they should have done years ago and merge it with our Falcon platform.
    As long as it continues to perform as well (or better) than it does now...I'm all for it. Ford has already announced the next redesign will have IRS across the board, but they have not dropped any hints as to what platform will underpin the new car. I'm just hoping the car doesn't get bigger or heavier the way the Camaro has.

Thread Information