Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Virginia Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    The only way to stop gun deaths is to ban mentally unbalanced people and that's impossible.
    Well we got a pretty good attempt at it here. I informed at a shooting range once on how much it'd take to buy a gun legally.

Step 1:

Fill in a form and show your identification in threefold

Step 2:

Have atleast three sessions with a psychologist so he can diagnose you properly.

Step 3:

Then wait atleast 6 months until you may handle a gun. You get a session on a shooting range to practice safety rules. You then have to fill in a (apparently) hard theory exam.

If anyone has doubts about your abilities in any of these steps you have no chance of getting it and cant apply again for 5 years. You have to undergo annual check-ups at the psychologists,if you get it.

Does that help, you think ?

The biggest problem it seems is in the constant atmosphere of fear in the USA especially. The government makes it seem like the threat can come from everywhere and that can make a normal kid go radical !

We have had incidents at schools too. Most recently a non-fatal stabbing. I think we never had a mass shoot-out. For kids/teenagers with their extra hefty emotions it is pretty hard to get a gun if not impossible. Even in the illegal scene a 9mm with 10 bullits costs you atleast 5000 euro.

By the time a gun gets into reach, they have grown up and gotten much more responsible.

Just my 2 Cents. Go ahead and flame me.

I have to disagree slightly on one point. The REAL pyschos will cleverly disguise himself to the psychologist. They know what they want to hear, and they will say it.

You triggered another point of mine, weve (the UK) have had a ridiculous amount of fatal school stabbings recently, but I suppose the good point to take from that is that because we dont have guns, thank god its limited to just knives at the moment.
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    With an educated guess like that sir, i suggest you call up the Local news channel and get a guest spot as a "Behavioural expert" or some other crap.

You could make some money.
    Wouldn't be a bad idea. I could also blame this all on the war in Iraq and gain a spot as a Democratic candidate in the 2008 election.

I just realized I know a far family member studies there. I hope I will hear anythng soon.

Rocke '08! Free Hookers and Blow for all!
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

It just occurred to me that if all other students had also been carrying guns, the allegedly one attacker could have been dealt with much earlier........
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    I still think that it is mind boggling to know that other countries that have more guns per person can manage to have less gun related deaths...

Look at canada they have alot more guns per person but only 100th the gun related killings a year...?

makes you wonder what the f**k is wrong with the US?
    yes, but you guys have a pretty big population, more chance of nutcases i would think?
    and the anti-gun committee complaisn that 1 in 4 households here have a firearm..i'll let you figure out how they got that average
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    With an educated guess like that sir, i suggest you call up the Local news channel and get a guest spot as a "Behavioural expert" or some other crap.

You could make some money.
    probably already begun....
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Well we got a pretty good attempt at it here. I informed at a shooting range once on how much it'd take to buy a gun legally.

Step 1:

Fill in a form and show your identification in threefold

Step 2:

Have atleast three sessions with a psychologist so he can diagnose you properly.

Step 3:

Then wait atleast 6 months until you may handle a gun. You get a session on a shooting range to practice safety rules. You then have to fill in a (apparently) hard theory exam.

If anyone has doubts about your abilities in any of these steps you have no chance of getting it and cant apply again for 5 years. You have to undergo annual check-ups at the psychologists,if you get it.

Does that help, you think ?
    that seems too far in the other direction - here, it starts with education at the rifle range at an early age (in my case with the junior club at age 11).
    You can't actually own a firearm, you use the ones at the range (they have a set of firearms specifically for the use of juniors) under the charge of some old timers who educate on the handling, ethics, safety etc.
    When you turn 18 you can get a license, only after spending 6 months as a member of a rifle range/club, and only after completeing a compulsory 2 day course with exam. Your license may arrive 3-12 months later once the police have done the necesary checks.
    You then have to get a permit to acquire a firearm, at which point you have to state your intended use for it and the address where it will be stored.
    28 days later you can pick the weapon up (not a problem later when you already have a weapon in your possession).
    Then the police rock up in the next 3 months to check your storage facilities
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

this is disturbing:
    He shot himself in the back of the head at a downward angle purposely to make identification harder. He also scratched off the serial numbers on the pistol to make it harder (almost impossible) to trace where he got the weapon / Identify himself.

They are beginning to suspect that he was the guy who called bomb threats to the school to test the university polices response time.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

This is beginning to sound like someone very calculated.

It's hard to accept someone so intelligent is capable of such cruel acts - it doesn't fit to the "psycho killer" randomness that many school attacks have.

The question is still why though.

can't help but think he was trying to become infamous by doing such an excessive spree

That's well messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I think this already deserves an answer. The current level of fatalaties is about similar to the number of civilian people who die in Iraq every day...
    Henk according to General Barry R McCaffey, US Army (retired) and now an adjunct professor at West Point who visited Bahgdad last month, there are ..
    3,000 civilians murdered per month in Iraq

2,900 Improvised Explosive Device attacks

The US has arrested 100,000 "insurgents", detained another 27,000 and killed 20,000-plus. US losses in Iraq exceed 27,000 killed or wounded, with Iraqi Security Force losses of 49,000 within the last 14 months
    (not trying to turn this into an anti-US Iraq debate, merely supplying correct info to Henk)

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Henk according to General Barry R McCaffey, US Army (retired) and now an adjunct professor at West Point who visited Bahgdad last month, there are ..

(not trying to turn this into an anti-US Iraq debate, merely supplying correct info to Henk)
    much appreciated
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    I am surprised that nobody had a gun of there own and used it for self protection.

Its illegal to have a gun on campus even if you have a concealed handgun license. And i dont believe its legal to have a concealed handgun in every state.

Actually many students want to change that because if someone knows there is a high possibility other people have guns on campus they most likely wont go shooting there.
    You can call me scott.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

and the M.A.D situation did wonders for global politics RE: the US vs USSR.....

Thread Information