Although the production version is not due for another dozen months, Porsche have released additional information and pictures of a test mule of the Porsche 918 Spyder. In doing so, the German manufacturer have provided a unique look into the high performance machine's development. The specifications have not been finalised but the figures released this week should give a good indication. As already announced at an earlier date, the radical 918 will be powered by no fewer than three separate engines; a conventional petrol engine and two electric motors. Based on the high-revving unit that powered the all-conquering RS Spyder prototype racer, the mid-mounted V8 has been enlarged to around 4.6 litre. It is expected to produce over 570 bhp, which combined with the electric motors should give a total system output of 800 bhp. One of these motors is connected to the front axle, while the other is bolted to the seven-speed gearbox. This gives the 918 Spyder four-wheel drive capabilities without the complications of additional axles and a transfer box. Additionally the upcoming super car will also sport rear-wheel steering to improve the handling characteristics. The sophisticated drivetrain will be mounted in a lightweight carbon-fibre chassis, which should help keep the weight down to under 1,700 kg despite the additional lithium-ion batteries used for the hybrid system. Like the press release, the attched pictures of the development car are remarkably revealing.
Fellow German manufacturer, BMW, are also busy with purpose-built hybrid models, using the 'i' sub-brand. The latest addition is the i8 Concept Spyder. As the name suggests, it is the open version of the i8 launched last year. Further changes include the use of a slightly shorter chassis. What is carried over is the hybrid drivetrain, which produces a combined 349 bhp and 550 Nm of torque. Although still a concept, we do hope to see a production version of the i8 Spyder.

Enjoy the links:

2012 Porsche 918 Spyder Prototype - Images, Specifications and Information

2012 BMW i8 Concept Spyder - Images, Specifications and Information