Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solid Aluminium Engine Blocks

apart from the excellent explanation given by Knuto, it can happen, especially when talking about engine parts, that a certain material/alloy is chosen instead of another, considering they have the same properties, to change the overall balance of the car and its weight distribution.
    consider the rear part of the car is already designed to be as much lightweight as possible, but that the weight distribution is too biased to the rear part.
    even if this means adding weight, it's better to have an heavier car with a good weight distribution than one with a poor weight distribution and perhaps a dangerous handling (especially considering common cars).
    So sometimes the engine is made heavier than what was possible in first place to recover a bad weight distribution. Considering the additional weight is going to be at the front part of the car, it would result in a more evident understeer, commonly regarded as safer than a too happy to move tail.

I had an exam on the 22 of Dec about this matter (materials and their production), but unfortunately the teacher wasn't interested in explaining the subject, the material provided was, well, insufficient, and at the written exam was allowed to copy from books and other students.
    pretty weird.
    the result is that I don't know that much about this (and I'm still waiting for the result of the exam).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

STEEL Blocks

seen a solid billet steel block being CNCd,no water jackets, In- line 6cyl.
    close to a Cummins diesels,it will be diesel!
    cast iron and Graphite not strong enough for torque output,, the complete block starts to twist and mains go out of alignment.
    Anyway looked impressive to me, he is talking 150=200psi intake pressure, i suppose that will make torque,
    also somthing about no cylinder head gasket at all,, some kind of rings,,
    OH YEAH!! cost is not important, will to win is!
    THX RON

It's good enough for Bugatti - this'll make your eyes pop:

YouTube - W16 Engine Block Machined From Solid Billet

It's quite hypnotic, really...

And if you want to see what happens to the block later, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q34xI...eature=related
    Last edited by BarneyBoy; 03-30-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBoy View Post
    It's good enough for Bugatti - this'll make your eyes pop:

YouTube - W16 Engine Block Machined From Solid Billet
    it made my ears pop. I stopped after 1.5 minutes. Bloody "music"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

WHat's worse is the video is of a demo often run at trade shows.
    It is NOT the Bugatti W16 engine.
    It is A model of A W16 engine.
    Oh and the music annoyed me much too

Hey guys, sorry to bring up an 'old' subject.

How much do you recon it would cost to make a single engine block for a project car. Provided you can make the model yourself in solidworks or the like?

If you read the thread you'll see Revetec has given costs for the CNC of his engine

I read it trough, must have skipped that part accidently.

But seeing as you obviously read the entire thing to perfection you could have given me the awnser instead of being a wise guy. No offence.

Edit: I found the price to be 6-8k, which is a bit more steep than i immagined. Not worth the money at all.
    Last edited by Buen; 04-19-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Yes, Buen, I was being "wise".
    However, I realise I never suggested you coudl use the search facility in the thread to save you reading every post ( not that many really compared to some )

If folks come to forums and ask the same questions then the forum risks wasting time answering each.
    IF a person comes to a forum and shows they've read the topic and perhaps asks a secondary question then lots of folks pipe in to assist.
    There's a lesson learned and hopefully help you enjoy time on UCP forum.

And NO I did not remember the PRICE as you asked, just that Revetec HAD posted pics and details and prices for his work. So I put some effort in for you. BUT, am not going to put MY time aside to find all the details that YOU want. In fact, this post has already taken more time than I'm happy with. THAT is why new forum folks ( ANY forum ) should put the effort in to fit in rather than expect the other umpteen thousand to accommodate them
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-19-2009 at 11:25 AM.

I read the FAQ, as to not break any rules.

I read the tread and didn't find my awnser. Yet you seemed to know that there was one. Hence my small request.

But my apolegies, i wish not to start of by getting a grudge from the senior members of this forum.

No prob, Buen. never any grudges for new members.
    Sorry if it came over heavy, but we've recently had a spate of idiotic posters
    As usual, looking back I woudl have saved myself time by finding you the post
    Enjoy the rest of UCP.
    Why not create a thread and tell everyone abouthe "project" and maybe get other ideas to assist ?

I will, in due time.

But I feel there's to much time till I get it started properly to make one allready now. (I wanna finish my senior year of highschool before taking time for anything else, which should be about 2 months)

But I can tell you it includes an old Opel Gt, alot of carbon fiber and 200+bhp... hopefully. I don't know when the funds run out, but my goal is to make this old veteran a fully capeable race car. I don't, want to set the bar to high though, in case nothing seems to turn out the way i want it to.

I got a 15.000€ budget, so that should take me some of the way.

Is that budget for the whole build, or just to fill the tank?

My experience with Danish motoring taxes is that they are quite frightening...
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

I allready have the car.
    So that just for tuning and building stuff. Considering i'm going to build most of it myself, that leaves alot of money for buying parts, and materials to make other parts.

Thats just my initial budget, I don't know if i'll use any more money than that, or if i'll even use that much money.

Edit: And tuning part such items isen't really more expensive here than in other countries. Which is why you will often see a really cheap car, which have some sick items, rather than more expensive cars, such as the 350z og s2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Buen View Post
    I allready have the car.
    So that just for tuning and building stuff. Considering i'm going to build most of it myself, that leaves alot of money for buying parts, and materials to make other parts.

Thats just my initial budget, I don't know if i'll use any more money than that, or if i'll even use that much money.

Edit: And tuning part such items isen't really more expensive here than in other countries. Which is why you will often see a really cheap car, which have some sick items, rather than more expensive cars, such as the 350z og s2000.
    Not meant to discredit here, but usually the rule I've noticed with any kind of budget is: Come up with a figure that you think is appropriate. Now double it and it's accurate.

Keep us updated on the build when you get started.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information