Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: skittle?

skittle?

ok have been wondering this for a while now and yes i am prob the most uneducated person on here so exuse my ignorence anyway

why is it that rally cars when hitting a corner make a skittiling sound? best i can describe it its not the gear box because it would do it all the time but just when they are against compression and shifting + braking before a corner a sort of skittiling (best i can describe it!) sound is herd why is this?

It's an anti-lag technique employed to keep the turbo spinning.

Basically it adjusts the ignition timing to ignite fuel in the chamber AS the exhaust valve opens, so the burning fuel spins the turbo.

The noise you hear is the retarded combustion through the turbo.

All explained - and warnings on the impact it has on the parts - at http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine

Basically it adjusts the ignition timing to ignite fuel in the chamber AS the exhaust valve opens, so the burning fuel spins the turbo.

All explained - and warnings on the impact it has on the parts - at http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html
    Blew my mind Bang

Damn you know too much about rally cars! Do you work with them or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuscan666
    i don't have sure but i think matra is a co-driver ....
    Fun is not a straight line

UCP's only lancia lover ....

Quote Originally Posted by Tuscan666
    I've rallied on and off since I was 15 ( now 31 years ago ) !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

matra is the ucp rally expert
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Matra is the UCP Expert Full Stop :P

Wow thats cool, wish i was involved with rally at 15 lol

Cool little inovation that Anti-Lag system is. Never read about that before.

Do WRC cars use metal turbine blades or can they use ceramic blades?
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

i might be able to get a vid of this for you guys, on 12th of next month iam going to a rally and one of the enterents there has just baught a Hyundai WRC car - lasy years car - and he also has a full rally spec impreza that he runs too. should be an interesting battle this time with the 6R4's, Impreza's, EVO's, Darrians and now that Hyundai .

@ Matra, if you have TOO MUCH boost is it possible to blow the pistons ?
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Skittle shake - occurs when you've left an open packet of skittles in the glovebox, and a few escape during hard cornering.

"The explosions which occur in the exhaust tubes generate important flames which can, sometimes, be seen at the end of the exhaust tube"

Important flames?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    @ Matra, if you have TOO MUCH boost is it possible to blow the pistons ?
    For sure.
    You put too much fuel/air mixture in under V.high boost.

So one of 2 things happens.
    On an otherwise untuned engine the compression stroke will blow head gasket, twist the head or bend a conrod.

If that doesn't happen then on the combusion stroke it's almost guaranteed to bend conrod, sheer gudgeon pin, , blow gaskets and maybe even manage to throw the head

Matra, if you have TOO MUCH boost is it possible to blow the pistons ?
    if you dont provide anough fuel the car can run lean and detonate which in some cases will blow a hole thru the psiton, if you dont run a high enough octane fuel for the compression and boost you can detonate with the same effect. also dependent on the material of the pistons and rods (holes in pistons and bent rods are pretty big problems, along with blown piston rings) so define what "too much boost" is what the compression of the engine is, ambient outside temperature, temperature drop after the intercooler/water injection/etc. if present, octane/type of fuel your running. and you can get a general idea based on these and several other variables(e.g. ignition timing)

and hey i talked about ALS first! :P
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

For sure.
    You put too much fuel/air mixture in under V.high boost.

So one of 2 things happens.
    On an otherwise untuned engine the compression stroke will blow head gasket, twist the head or bend a conrod.

If that doesn't happen then on the combusion stroke it's almost guaranteed to bend conrod, sheer gudgeon pin, , blow gaskets and maybe even manage to throw the head

thaught thats what happened, a guy in our rally club has a group N impreza, he was doing a rally in wales with full boost / anti-lag on, and woundered why it was chucking loads of smoke and stuff out. got home took engine block apart, took piston out a and a big chink dropped out the side of it he has just got a set flown over here from america and he will hopefully have the car ready for the rally in 2 weeks that i am at
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Thread Information