Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenham

Lenham

When I was at the Historic GP I spotted an unusual 60s racer: a Lenham. the name rang a bell, because I remember the company made hardtops for MGs and Triumphs. Does anyone know more about this mid-engined Ford-powered car?

yep, the Lenham top for the MGB was ...

You're probably thinking of the Lenham GT which used various MG bits - Midget floorpan and suspension with fibreglass body circa '60s

The predecessor to the more common MG based Lenham GT was a Sprite variant from '59ish

Haven't ever heard of a mid-engined Lenham tho'
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

A shame I hadn't taken my camera, cos the Lenham racer really did the job, it was an extremely nimble and quick car. Also a pity I didn't get to meet the owner. The car is really worth having a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    A shame I hadn't taken my camera, cos the Lenham racer really did the job, it was an extremely nimble and quick car. Also a pity I didn't get to meet the owner. The car is really worth having a look at.
    Was it yellow?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

No, it was blue, and it isn't similar to that car, not by a long shot. Think of an Elva Mk7 with a roof, or a baby Porsche 906 if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Was it yellow?
    that is not a Lenham afair, but a South African built special
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    No, it was blue, and it isn't similar to that car, not by a long shot. Think of an Elva Mk7 with a roof, or a baby Porsche 906 if you will.
    I know what you mean, I have seen the car, it is a regular contender in European sportscar races, but I failed up to now to have taken a proper picture of the car
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I know what you mean, I have seen the car, it is a regular contender in European sportscar races, but I failed up to now to have taken a proper picture of the car
    Jopw about this shape ?
    This Austin Healey based Lenham was sold and may be in different livery ?

or maybe Ian Hulett's Sprite/Midget based one, not sure if it's still running blue

Is it soft or hard top, is it kamm tailed describe the front shape, with more info we can probably nail this one down
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

no, the Lenham I have seen was definitely a mid-engined sportscar, probably with a 2 litre engine (BDA), like Cedric says, a sort of Elva, or Gropa

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-04-photo.html

I found this link, there is no pic, but it describes a Lenham P71, with a 3litre Repco V8, which was a no-show at the BOAC 1000KM 1971, furthermore the entry list for LeMans 1970 makes notice of the Lenham P70, with a 1600 ford engine, but the entry was not accepted, so the car did not run. The P70 probably is the car that we are talking about here.
    Last edited by henk4; 07-06-2005 at 03:21 AM.

no, the Lenham I have seen was definitely a mid-engined sportscar, probably with a 2 litre engine (BDA), like Cedric says, a sort of Elva, or Gropa

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-04-photo.html

I found this link, there is no pic, but it describes a Lenham P71, with a 3litre Repco V8, which was a no-show at the BOAC 1000KM 1971, furthermore the entry list for LeMans 1970 makes notice of the Lenham P70, with a 1600 ford engine, but the entry was not accepted, so the car did not run. The P70 probably is the car that we are talking about here.
    ah friend sent me a link.
    Lik this .....

??????????

no, more like this, a Gropa, from the same period

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    ah friend sent me a link.
    Lik this .....

??????????
    my instant message notifier showed a totally different picture, which comes closer to the truth

memory has come back, it might actually be this car, which up to now I catalogued as :unknown supersports, taken at Zandvoort 1987. It may have changed colours now. Also Ginetta produced a similar model and that was definitely blue.

memory has come back, it might actually be this car, which up to now I catalogued as :unknown supersports, taken at Zandvoort 1987. It may have changed colours now. Also Ginetta produced a similar model and that was definitely blue.
    COUdl be it's in for restoration at PA Motorsporst.
    here's a pic of the bare body
    Lenham P69 ??

yes could well be it, how many 69's are there?

Thread Information