Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1924 Hispano-Suiza H6C Tulip Wood Torpedo

It's a great piece of art, Paul! Did you give it a name?

Quote Originally Posted by twincam View Post
    Despite the considerable power, the car drives really well and is surprisingly practical. It starts, it stops and it goes round corners!
    what more do you need....the coach builder by any chance was not be located in Lymington?
    Last edited by henk4; 09-24-2008 at 06:18 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

That's a fantastic looking machine Paul. Congratulations and welcome!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Fabulous car.

I'd like to know more about it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The coach builder is Keith Roach at Ower in Hampshire. One of the very best, Keith did the wonderful bodies for the Auto Unions and esp the streamliner.

The car is called the Royce-Hispano. It's traditional with specials to put the chassis type first and the engine second.

This is the spec for the car

Royce - Hispano
    Inspired by Brooklands aero-engined cars and using 1920's components and technology, this car was designed by its owner for high-speed touring and occasional competition.
    Technical Specification
    Chassis
    Modified 1929 Rolls Royce 20/25
    Wheelbase: 10ft 9in (328cm) Track: 4ft 8in (142cm)
    Separate three-point mounted engine/gearbox sub-chassis to protect engine crankcase from chassis torsion effects.
    Wheels and Tyres: 7.00in X 21in
    Engine
    1922 Hispano-Suiza H3, manufactured by Wright-Martin Aircraft Corporation
    8 cylinder 90 degree V8, single overhead camshaft
    Bore: 140mm (5.51in) Stroke: 150mm (5.9in)
    Capacity: 18,475cc (1127cu.in.)
    Compression Ratio: 5.5 to 1
    Ignition: Twin Dixie magnetos, fixed advance, two spark plugs per cylinder.
    Lubrication: Dry sump with one pressure pump and two scavenge pumps.
    Oil capacity: 55 litres (12 imperial gallons)
    Cooling: Centrifugal water pump chain driven from front of crankshaft-120% engine speed
    Engine weight: 620 lbs dry (282kg)
    Power: 325bhp at 1800rpm, 360bhp at 2000rpm, maximum revs 2300rpm
    Torque: 960ft lbs at 1800rpm
    Transmission
    12in dry clutch driving to a 1929 Rolls Royce Phantom 2 gearbox, via open propellor shaft to live axle.
    Back axle ratio 1.64 to 1
    Gearing: 66mph per 1000rpm
    Bodywork
    Two seat sports-racing in aluminium on steel frame.
    Fuel tank: 172 litres (38 imperial gallons)
    Quick removal wings, lights and spare wheel carrier for racing trim
    Dimensions: Length overall: 16ft 9in (510cm) Weight: 1780kg (3916lbs)
    Mechanical build including chassis, engine, transmission and brakes
    Jim Stokes Workshops Limited, Waterlooville, Hampshire
    Bodywork, including wings, stays, fuel tank, seats and screen frame
    Roach Manufacturing Limited, Ower, Hampshire
    Paintwork and finishing:- Sean Watson, The Old Coachworks, Over Wallop, Hampshire
    Trimming:- Mike Thomas
    Designed by Paul Gregory

Paul,
    What a macnificent car...good luck on the project. How about better/more pix
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

or a new thread full of all the details and pics
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    or a new thread full of all the details and pics
    I agree with that.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Happy to oblige. I'll start a new thread and post some more pics later today

Thank you. I'll add this one to the main page next week.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

you going to add his, or the tulipwood?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    you going to add his, or the tulipwood?
    The Blackhawk car.

(Ted Joans)

Just for trivia sake... The Blackhawk car was at one time (and technically may still be - I don't know for sure) part of the Ken Behring collection. Behring founded the Blackhawk Auto Museum. The museum is actually part of community called Blackhawk that Behring developed and he has a 30,000 sqft. home there. In the mid-nineties, I was part of a very small charity function of about 10 people at the house which has a roughly 10,000 sqft ballroom that contained many of Behring's favorite cars - one of which was the Hispano Torpedo. No ropes, no alarms, nothing stopping me and realizing this opportunity will never come again, I opened the door and sat in it. I sat there, hands on the wheel, imagining what it would drive like. Just a gorgeous machine. (I also went over and sat in Clark Gable's Dusenberg.)

Quote Originally Posted by chutetogether View Post
    Just for trivia sake... The Blackhawk car was at one time (and technically may still be - I don't know for sure) part of the Ken Behring collection. Behring founded the Blackhawk Auto Museum. The museum is actually part of community called Blackhawk that Behring developed and he has a 30,000 sqft. home there. In the mid-nineties, I was part of a very small charity function of about 10 people at the house which has a roughly 10,000 sqft ballroom that contained many of Behring's favorite cars - one of which was the Hispano Torpedo. No ropes, no alarms, nothing stopping me and realizing this opportunity will never come again, I opened the door and sat in it. I sat there, hands on the wheel, imagining what it would drive like. Just a gorgeous machine. (I also went over and sat in Clark Gable's Dusenberg.)
    the blackhawk collection is technically his collection. but as he has passed on it is now a private organization that has its origins in his private collection.

that had to be an amazing time, to be sitting in this amazing car. i try to get to the museum as often as possible, may go this weekend actually. if i can convince my wife to let me get away from the family for a few hours.

i don't think the gable dusenberg is in the collection any more. i saw it at Amelia Island in March, and it is a beautiful machine. i believe this is the one.. my collection from that day is so jumbled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Isn't the Blackhawk Collection owned by Don Williams?

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information