Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Corolla's

Didn't the AE86's have rust problems towards the rear?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

What's really interesting is that Toyota has no sports car offering. At least Honda has the S2000. Toyota has nothing. Nissan has been doing much better than the two other companies, though. I wish they would stop concentrating on their family cars and switch to sports cars. We know the family cars are good. If they were made any better American car companies would go bankrupt, because no one except rental car companies and police agencies would want an Impala or a Ford Taurus/500.

thing is, because of the branding issues, toyota generally palm off the better cars to lexus, so I think toyota needs to bring out a small light weight RWD hatch with the same basic long hatch shape as the AE86, rather than upright golf or whatnot.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

The 71-74 Corolla Web Site an interesting site, has links to other Toyota sites on it too.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    What's really interesting is that Toyota has no sports car offering. At least Honda has the S2000. Toyota has nothing. Nissan has been doing much better than the two other companies, though. I wish they would stop concentrating on their family cars and switch to sports cars. We know the family cars are good. If they were made any better American car companies would go bankrupt, because no one except rental car companies and police agencies would want an Impala or a Ford Taurus/500.
    toyota australia have tried to make a sports car, TRD Aurion... thats got some potential

i also agree with the small RWD hatch... i think all componies would benifit with one of those
    "No sir you may not eat my hat"

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i hoped to pick one up cheap some day, especially after seeing one with a V8 at the japanese classic car show
    4 sale here not two weeks ago a turbocharged Gemini 308 V8 with street rego advertised for $6k irrc

sounds more like a drag car nota
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by KFA-R View Post
    toyota australia have tried to make a sports car, TRD Aurion... thats got some potential

i also agree with the small RWD hatch... i think all componies would benifit with one of those
    I wouldn't mind Toyota bringing back the Celica and Honda bringing back the Prelude either.

Toyota has been busy applying their automobile designs for future passenger vehicles. But they haven't closed any doors for future race cars. Probably one reason why toyota hasn't produced new race cars is because most of their commercial vehicles such as the corolla are widely being modified by the after market industry. I've seen TRD Aurion, looks great. I'm sure the introduction of the NISSAN GTR for 2008 will fuel the need between Honda and Toyota to produced a competetive race car such as the Supra or if not they should revive the 2000gt. i also hope mitsubishi makes a new 3000gt.

Ill quote a freind of mine "AE86s are not fast unless your tak fujiwarra" That said they are plenty of fun and have potential.

But id take a similar sized and somewhat similar looking but overtly more powerful (thanks to an fj20et) nissan gazelle RS-X for some of the prices their asking for them. Or possibly a starion if i wish to spend the rest of my life fixing plumbing issues lord know all cars mentioned in my rant are as ugly as each other

And the good old rollas fine basic transport but i can think nothing but stressed parents and lawnbowls everytime i think of excitment and exclude the ae86 from my train of though.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

I've test driven an AE86 during some drifting lessons my friends and i were undertaking. Yes, in a straight line race, the corolla will be left behind by more powerful cars as the silvia's or the lancers, but take the race into a down hill where a lot of factors such as cornering is concerned, the corolla has an advantage when it comes to cornering since it's rear wheel drive. the faults of the car will only appear if not taken care of properly. Mine, although fifteen years old already with almost 50,000 kims on it still is a good everyday drive. The old corollas had faults when it comes to rusting, but so did other old cars of its age.

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster_raven View Post
    the corolla has an advantage when it comes to cornering since it's rear wheel drive.
    what, and the silvia isn't?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster_raven View Post
    but take the race into a down hill where a lot of factors such as cornering is concerned, the corolla has an advantage when it comes to cornering since it's rear wheel drive. .
    I just like that sentace in general.

Now i need a blue screen with an inital D logo on it and a loud exagerated american voice saying INITAL D!!!!! before i start my semtamce. Oh well

You realise that most tracks are devoid of hills right? let alone not actually being completly down hill and another intresting peice of trivia racing on most hills is illegal so how do you know these things are good going downhill?

Cornering is a fractor of driving in general and isnt just exclusive to drifting downhill. And clutch you already beat me to the most obvious one.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

i'm not saying that the corolla has a greater advantage on a downhill race. like i said there are many factors to consider such as driver's knowledge of the course, the cars setup, the road condition and course difficulty and even the weather. the show INITIAL D., puts emphasis to such idea that in any race, there are a lot of things to consider. So the rear wheel capability of a car such as the 86 is only one among a few factors to consider.

Although not a downhill race, a good example of this is jeremy Clarkson's chasing a murcielego with a an Evolution 8 MR in one of Top Gears Episode.

the popularity of Initial D has given way to certain automobile clubs to setup legal downhill races with proper coordination with local authorities. usually this involves back roads not often used by the public. these events are often accompanied with sponsors and media.

I found a video in youtube where an ae86 takes on a JWRC SUZUKI SWIFT
    This is a battle between the TRD hachi roku of Tsuchiya and a suzuki swift from the junior rally team.
    Notes: ae86 ( 170 ps, 20 valve engine, 970 kg.) Swift ( 218 ps, 1600 cc., 1030 kg.) Torque: 19 kgm / 186 Nm on the swift (i think pretty much the same in both engines.)

YouTube - Tsuchiya AE-86 Vs. JWRC SWIFT (Nice quality video)

Road Race test between the UK-spec 2005 Lancer Evolution MR FQ400 and a Lamborghini Murcielago

YouTube - Evo MR FQ400 vs Lambo Murcielago

Hi friend !
    i am so interesting about the classic corolla and from first
    post i thing second last is so nice and beautiful model of corolla .
    I love ultimatecarpage

Thread Information