Thread: car wont change gears

car wont change gears

I got a 2000 Hyundai Elantra. It has this problem changing gears. It changes them but not as fast as it should I think. The engine RPM goes up to 4 and sometimes even over and it just hangs at that RPM for a couple of sec without changing gears but eventually goes into 4th gear. I noticed that if I ease my foot off the gas a lil bit it will change gears but that works only from 1st to 3rd gear and most of the time that don't work neither. I noticed this happened a week after I got it. I thought at first that I didn't put the car in drive good enough but that wasn't it. Thing is I don't think I hit the MPG the car is suppose to get caz the ****in engine wasting gas taking too long to change gears. I was thinking this would burn out my engine over time and given the fact that I'm flat broke I cant afford to fix it or replace it. I have just changed the oil recently so it should be good for a couple of weeks. Anybody know how to get the car to change gears faster? I was thinking I could go do something to the computer thing and maybe that would fix it.
    By the way this happens when I drive normally. I don't race and the car is not modded as you can probably tell from my desciption of the problem.

I also got these small rust spots on the hood. Anybody know a cheap way to get the rust off and cover up the spots. I was thinking of scrapping the rust off and painting over the spots with some kind of paint. It don't even matter what color as long as it stop rusting. The rust spots small.

Thanks.
    Last edited by QBridge; 05-16-2005 at 10:53 AM.

Err, take it to the garage ?

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    I got a 2000 Hyundai Elantra. It has this problem changing gears. It changes them but not as fast as it should I think. The engine RPM goes up to 4 and sometimes even over and it just hangs at that RPM for a couple of sec without changing gears but eventually goes into 4th gear. I noticed that if I ease my foot off the gas a lil bit it will change gears but that works only from 1st to 3rd gear and most of the time that don't work neither. I noticed this happened a week after I got it. I thought at first that I didn't put the car in drive good enough but that wasn't it. Thing is I don't think I hit the MPG the car is suppose to get caz the ****in engine wasting gas taking too long to change gears. I was thinking this would burn out my engine over time and given the fact that I'm flat broke I cant afford to fix it or replace it. I have just changed the oil recently so it should be good for a couple of weeks. Anybody know how to get the car to change gears faster? I was thinking I could go do something to the computer thing and maybe that would fix it.
    Check the oil in the auto box.
    It's different from the engine oil.
    Also check for any leaks.
    If there OK then it's goosed and a garage job, autos are not for the faint-hearted to repair
    I also go these small rust spots on the hood. Anybody know a cheap way to get the rust off and cover up the spots. I was thinking of scrapping the rust off and painting over the spots with some kind of paint. It don't even matter what color as long as it stop rusting. The rust spots small.

Thanks.
    Go to any auto store there are dozens of products that remove rust, convert rust, prime. do this before painting - you'll get matching paint in th eutostore too.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I got a 2000 Hyundai
    hmn.......
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    hmn.......

LMAO
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Check the oil in the auto box.
    It's different from the engine oil.
    Also check for any leaks.
    If there OK then it's goosed and a garage job, autos are not for the faint-hearted to repair

Go to any auto store there are dozens of products that remove rust, convert rust, prime. do this before painting - you'll get matching paint in th eutostore too.
    I didn't see any oil spots so I don't think it leaks. What is the auto box? The transmition oil? I checked that about 2 months ago and it was right in the middle. I forgot if that needs to be checked hot or cold? Anybody know? Is it true that the trans oil needs to be changed every 100k miles? That's what someone told me. I got the car with 86k and I'm at 88 or 89 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    hmn.......
    Fortunately I decided that my money should go on something else other than gas and car payments.
    Last edited by QBridge; 05-16-2005 at 10:45 AM.

I didn't see any oil spots so I don't think it leaks. What is the auto box? The transmition oil? I checked that about 2 months ago and it was right in the middle. I forgot if that needs to be checked hot or cold? Anybody know?
    Usually cold, but check the hadnbook manual as sometimes you ahve to ahve run it before letting it sette - s kind of warmsih
    Fortunately I decided that my money should go on something else other than gas and car payments.
    You dont' need to eat EVERY day
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Usually cold, but check the hadnbook manual as sometimes you ahve to ahve run it before letting it sette - s kind of warmsih
    Thanks. I'll check it warmish and cold and see how it is.

it might be time to change the transmission oil filter.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Well I'm at 87K miles so I might just go ahead and change the oil and filter. I never heard of an oil filter for the transmition though.

Thread Information