Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a hot hatch (?) next year

A 2003 Civic Type R with 120.000 km on the clock can be aquired for under 13K in Euro's.
    Interesting option.

A 2005 Golf V GTI with approx. 100.000 km on the clock costs around 15K here. Don't know, there is something which is holding me back though. Maybe because everyone drives a Golf here.

There are a lot of Astra's on the road here as well. Although I like the styling of the newer generations, not too special really.

I really like the Citroen DS3 but it is far too new to be affordable. And then the only desirable 'entry' model would be the one with 150 hp (preferred option would be 200 hp).

The new Abarth Punto Evo is awesome but also still too expensive. I double checked the pre-facelift model and indeed they can be found cheaper, around 15K is certainly possible.

Alfa Romeo MiTo I am confused. Sometimes I see it and I think it is stunning, the other day I am not too convinced about the styling. In my case, the only interesting model would start with the 155 hp version. The QV version would be even better.

To be honest, I am not a big fan of the looks of the new Mini, although I know there are fast like blizzards. You can easily find them around 15K.

Clio still stands out with a hefty 200 hp. The reviews are also good and I like the car. Also, interesting enough it is the newest low mileage car in the list (I made a typ-o above, it is a 2008 model) for under 14K.

The 2004 Seat Ibiza 1.8 20VT Cupra (old 'boxy' model) I like very much as well. Does someone have experiences with this car?

2008 Opel Corsa OPC (192 hp) I considered, they are a little above budget still though.

Peugeot 207/208 GTI... Did not thought about these yet.

Anymore I forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Here is what you should do.

Test drive your favorite candidates and report back here. With pictures of course.

Hop hop, off you go then!

OK promised

And when I bought it I will make a separate thread in car comparison : Current car (49 hp) "versus" 'new' car... !

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Here is what you should do.

Test drive your favorite candidates and report back here. With pictures of course.

Hop hop, off you go then!

Best idea in this thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    To be honest, I am not a big fan of the looks of the new Mini, although I know there are fast like blizzards. You can easily find them around 15K.
    Forget about looks. You can't feel looks behind the steering wheel. You can however fell the great handling, the suspension, the breaks, the gearbox and the supercharged engine. Which are better than anything looks could give you. By far the most serious performance car here (alongside the Clio possibly).
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    The 2004 Seat Ibiza 1.8 20VT Cupra (old 'boxy' model) I like very much as well. Does someone have experiences with this car?
    I have experience with a five door 1.9 TDi and the basics simply aren't there. I doubt adding more speed actually solves the problem.

EDIT If you don't need the space cars like the MX-5 or the MR2 are worth a look.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Still in a luxury dilemma. That means, although project has been delayed again in the meantime due to other important things in life : YES I can create the circumstance to buy another car this year.

BUT still haven't got a clue what to buy. Maybe I am in an early stage of midlife crisis. I reckoned this : I have always driven cars that can reach 100 km/h within the day if you aare lucky. So now I would finally need a faster car right, I need to experience the thrills before time runs out (dramatic music playing in the background) ...

On the other hand, I want a car that I like styling wise. Maybe a model which looks more mature, without a boyracer pedigree. And let's face it, everything above 100 hp is a major improvement in what I ever experienced.

So do I need a fast car, or do I think I need a fast car? Plus the other important things in life (nope, no children) will now leave less money for running costs. With petrol prices of €1,75 per liter, that's something to keep in mind as well.

So, the only things I know for sure are:

- Budget max. €15.000;
    - Max. mileage around 100.000 km;
    - It needs four wheels (so no Morgan 3-Wheeler);
    - Petrol;
    - Manual;
    - Preferably it is a 3-door model, because it looks better (but willing to do concessions);
    - It needs to be affordable and practical as a daily driver (300 km per week);
    - It needs some trunk space;
    - But I have no children, dogs or movement plans. No station wagons please.
    - No convertibles.
    - Modern car, no classics as things break down and I can't fix 'em;
    - Preferably around 150 hp. Or higher. I think. Today.
    - Kurb weight not too high (possibly to compensate for the above), max. around 1250 kg.

Cars I am certain I have rejected by now (both fast and not-so-fast categories):
    - Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 TS (2005): Because of the horror stories of the JTS engines.
    - MINI Cooper : Sorry, but I don't like them styling wise.
    - Mazda MX-5: Also not a huge fan of these (sorry Ferrer).
    - VW Polo GTI (2006): Did I fell asleep? Oh no sorry it was another Polo.
    - Volvo C30 T5 Momentum (2007): Hopelessly heavy and thirsty car.
    - Opel Astra 170 hp (2007) : Everybody drives 'em.
    - Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX AWD Prodrive (2004): Fast, but far from affordable to drive.
    - Renault Megane 2.0 GT (2007): The back is just ugly IMO.
    - Anything with 5 to 12 cylinders : Dream on.

Following cars remain. If I will ever buy them, well that's another question.
    - Abarth Punto Evo - 165 hp (2010) - they are getting somewhat cheaper, maybe ...
    - Abarth Grande Punto 1.4 T-Jet 16V - 155 hp (2009)
    - Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Twin Spark 16V Distinctive - 150 hp (2007)
    - Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.4 TB Sport - 155 hp (2008)
    - Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-Jet 16V - 150 hp (2009)
    - Peugeot 207 1.6-16V Turbo Le Mans - 150 hp (2009)
    - Peugeot 207 1.6-16V Turbo RC - 175 hp (2007)
    - Opel Corsa OPC - 192 hp (2007)
    - Opel Corsa 1.6 Turbo GSI - 150 hp (2008)
    - Renault Clio Sport 2.0 16V - 197 hp (2008)
    - Seat Leon 1.8 20VT Cupra R - 180 hp (2004)
    - Volkswagen Golf GTI 2.0 16V TFSI - 200 hp (2005)

Should I decide for styling and comfort and moderate power, or for a hot hatch I can not tell yet. Fuel economy I have to take in consideration. I do not want to race but also don't possess a velvet foot. I assume a combined fuel mileage of 1 litre on 10 km is OK. Preferably a little better. But for the likes of the hot hatch that may represent a problem.

Anyhow this Saturday I have planned a test drive in an Alfa Romeo 147 2.0. Let's see how it feels before I can judge!
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 01-30-2012 at 12:48 PM.

All I can add is that you got a faultless taste in modern hatchbacks.

How about VW Scirocco? 1,4 can be squeezed into a €15,000 budget.

FYI on the MKV Golf GTI, the engine have some valvetrain stem from some design decision on that motor that makes engine with higher mileage (over 50k miles/80k km) highly suspect for big problem....In US the powertrain warranty on those was extended to 100k miles for that reason.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Renault Clio Sport 2.0 16V - 197 hp would be my choice out of those cars.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

As per today the first test drive is a fact. An Alfa Romeo 147 with the 2.0 engine can not be called a hot hatch, but as stated before it is definitely on my list of interests.

The car itself has a number of values which could replace the need for any hot hatch though. Those values can be found in the styling, which I still find very attractive. The interior of this 2008 model was amazing, with brown leather seats which fitted like a glove. The car certainly has character!

As I am used to boring plastic, everything from the stitched steering wheel to the dashboard with clocks in tunnel design just looked amazing. Turning the key the engine woke up without any drama. I read a lot about this car and did not expect any blistering performance figures. That turned out to be true, still I was not disappointed.

With 150 hp the car provided a solid and comfortable ride, without being vague in the steering wheel (god bless hydraulic power steering). I was impressed by the smoothness and power curve of the engine, probably got to do with the fact that I am not spoiled with a naturally aspirated 2.0 engine nowadays. The drivetrain and suspension felt excellent, although shifting felt a bit clunky. I got used to it easily though.

The fuel tank was only filled under a quarter of the tank for the test ride. I did not have too much time, but it was more then sufficient to get a good impression of the car. Should you feel the need to put the pedal to the metal with this type of car, it would serve you more then adequate. Unfortunately I had to break for a Prius, but there was certainly more in it. Also we had a little bit of snow here this weekend.

This model had only 48.000 km on the clock and would sale for under 14K. I would not buy it though, as I prefer a 3dr model. The colour was nice, black metallic does suit the car good. In the mild sunlight, I spotted that the paint was covered with circular swirls - possible the car is a carwash victim but I know 90% of the people (mis)treat a car like that. That is something I can fix myself though with some TLC.

The car was loaded with options, I already mentioned the beautiful leather interior. Most of the other stuff I am not interested in though. Climate control, parking assist, cruise control and lots-of-buttons on the steering wheel are options I could miss. It only had black plastic mirror covers as this was a 'Business' edition. The 'Distinctive' version has colour coded mirrors and may be equipped with a Bose sound system - now that is something I would be interested in.

The pic's suck, because the car was already dirty as hell and it had snowed. The ugly garage plates also don't do the car any justice. But at least it are pictures of my first Alfa Romeo ride ever - hell yeah

Now could I live with this car - Yes! Surprisingly enough, 150 hp seems to be more then enough and I like the car. I am impressed by the ride quality. Maybe this is the start of the 'Alfa virus' - let's see... Engine can be a bit thirsty though, 1 l/10 km should be manageable. I don't know about maintenance costs, although I read some bad things about it. For the moment I don't want to listen to any bad news though. I did not buy anything yet. Also I am planning to make another test ride, so within two weeks or so I will test out a MiTo (155 hp version).

MiTo in real life in the right colour can be very nice, as I spotted a blue and black metallic one in the dealer showroom. Lower it a bit and it can be a real looker. A real Alfa, especially from the right angles. The suspension and drive train are on a different level as 147 though. Also the power steering is electric which makes the feeling in the steering wheel a bit vague - so I read. Completely different car, but I should experience myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 02-04-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Great read, now I got a itch for 2,0 TS too...

€14,000 is surprisingly steep for a second hand 147, thats more like a GTA price territory.

Dutch taxation system?

Hmm not really. Around €13.000-€14.000 is not an exception price for a 2008 low mileage 147 with 2.0 engine. Although you can find lower prices (around 10-11K) for older models with more mileage. Don't forget this one only has 48.000 km on the clock, had full service history and was loaded with options. And it is a dealer price, agreed. It is also true that you can find a GTA for that amount.

Wait, you had to break for a Prius? What does that mean?

It interrupted your momentum?

I'm not sure how much snow you get, but a heated steering wheel would be very welcome for my family's cars. The Subaru has bun warmers which are very nice.

Cool review, let us know what you finally choose.

Haha, I was giving the car a try on a straight pushing it into the rev's. I reached 100 km/u easily, but then a white Prius appeared in the distance, so I had to break. It was no emergency break by any means. Then I had to return already as the fuel depleted quite fast. Also I had to reserve some time for quick photo's.

Edit 1 : We have no severe winters here. This is the first snow we have seen in a while. When there is about 2 centimeters of snow, the whole country is disorganised though. Especially the train traffic.

Edit 2 : I just drove by the dealer and the car is €12.950 instead.
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 02-05-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Focus ST 170 may be worth consideration as well? Of those, I say the Clio. The Peugeot is attractive too but that sounds like a way revvy engine. May not be as fun as intended day-to-day.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I've owned a Gen 1 Cooper S, and I was really dissapointed. Hence why I've got the Clio now.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

I noticed there are no Ford's on your list? A Focus RS might be a really good choice. Otherwise go for the Clio RS or GT, the GT is a bit more fuel efficient but still excellent fun

PS: don't forget to look at cars in Germany, they are much cheaper! Importing them isn't as big of a drama as most people think!

Thread Information