Thread: Lancer Evolution XI

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.

Lancer Evolution XI

In a public statement this morning, president of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation Osamu Masuko admitted that Mitsubishi is working on the eleventh iteration of the legendary hot saloon.

He said "After the disappointment of the Evolution X and the lacklustre sales of Mitsubishi worldwide, we realised we needed our flagship back and that it was wrong of us to change everything so right about a car like the Evolution. We had to go back to the drawing board for a long time and we think that we have created a very special car in the Evolution XI. We extensively tested all classic Evolution variants to judge what made them so special and partnered up with Tommi Mäkinen, who is still helping develop the chassis."

Although it seems that the Evolution XI is going back to it's roots, Masuko also said that he is very excited about the new technologies being incorporated into the car "We are using a KERS system, but this has been developed specifically for the Evolution XI and when engaged only works above 5000rpm, giving an extra 100 PS at the top end for acceleration. What this has allowed our engineers to do is downsize the engine to 1.6 litres and focus on low and mid-range torque and better fuel economy. The development engines have made up to 300 PS in testing and , with the KERS engaged, acceleration times are as fast as a 911 Turbo. It is a very fast car." When asked about the weight of the XI, a major point of concern with the X, he replied "We have used more aluminium and carbon fibre in the construction of the car, meaning that the final weight shall be no more than 1400 Kilograms." He also explained that the light weight and downsized engine should yield 35 Mpg EU on the combined cycle.

A question Masuko struggled with was an exact release date of the Evolution XI. He confirmed that a concept will appear at Frankfurt this year, but cannot confirm a release date for the Evolution XI, saying "Before 2014, hopefully."
    From Autoloof.com
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

I don't know much about Mitsu, largely due to their lack of sales here, but it is my supposition that they need to partner with a big time automaker to not only stay relevant, but alive. Here is a company caught in the mid-market trap - too small to be big, and too big to be boutique.

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Too subtle? I'll have to work harder next year..
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    post it on the second of april next year....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I don't know much about Mitsu, largely due to their lack of sales here, but it is my supposition that they need to partner with a big time automaker to not only stay relevant, but alive. Here is a company caught in the mid-market trap - too small to be big, and too big to be boutique.
    Mitsubishi is plenty large, their industrial market is probably much larger than their automotive market. That's the portion that's probably keeping them afloat. They make everything from air conditioners to heavy machinery.

Good to hear that they'll still make an Evolution, last time we had news about it they said they were going to kill the car.

While they're at it, they should fix the Eclipse too.

As an April fool it needs more kick...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    As an April fool it needs more kick...
    Darn it, I was somewhat optimistic too.

Instead they should say that they're bringing back the Starion as a Toyota GT-86 and Subaru BR-Z competitor and ditching the godawful Eclipse.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    The only one that got me...

Use of carbon fiber on mass-production Mitsubishis? Nah.

I didn't get got, this time.
    Last edited by PRC777; 04-01-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

Thread Information