Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bin Laden dead

Bin Laden dead

Firstly I am glad he is dead if only in revenge for all the lives he has been responsible for.

Secondly I understand Al Qeda will prevail but it is an important psychological blow for them. This is all about mind games after all.
    I also remain cynical about the fact he was in Pakistan and how much of a issue the Yanks are making of it being a joint operation and making sure there is no public questioning of why/how he was in Pakistan.

One could jump to all sorts of conspiratorial conclusions so lets. The death of Bin Laden in a time where other Middle Eastern Muslim countries were stable may have resulted in various forms of reactions.

Timing wise it couldn’t have happened at a better time with countries like Syria, Lebanon, Egypt etc all having their own internal issues.
    I wonder just how long he has been in the sights and the finger on the trigger waiting only for the most opportune moment.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Obama's speech was incredibly well done, though I am sort of uncomfortable with grave dancing.

I saw this on the massive facebook status posting that has ensued and thought it apt.
    “I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.” —Mark Twain

I wish the best for the families of the victims of 9/11, and hope that this brings comfort, or at least closure, to them.

It's a big deal, no doubt but it raises a lot of issues too.

Americans are already questioning Pakistan's role in Osama being there, throughout our whole "war on terror" thing Pakistan has kind of flip-flopped on whether or not it is a true ally and towed the line between friend or foe. There is no doubt though that we probably couldn't have done it without them.

It is wonderful to see though, for at least one night, Americans getting out and showing their pride and peacefully honoring the vets and countless others who have given their lives in this and the people who died to bring it to this.

This is by no means a victory though but I hope it draws down the bloodshed and that the wars end soon enough.

I am certainly glad he's been stopped but I suppose this is a situation where the world might have finished another chapter, but there's still the rest of the book to read.

At this point I find myself more concerned with retaliation that might occur over the coming days or weeks etc than I am satisfied that bin Laden's reign has come to an end.

In Pakistan and in the vicinity of the capital. The Pakistan Government has something to explain.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'm glad i just hope it doesn't cause back lash.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by VOGUE_MAN View Post
    At this point I find myself more concerned with retaliation that might occur over the coming days or weeks etc than I am satisfied that bin Laden's reign has come to an end.
    No worries, Al Quaida, along with Donald Trump apparently, have already denied it was Bin Laden. I also want to see the death certificate first!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    No worries, Al Quaida, along with Donald Trump apparently, have already denied it was Bin Laden. I also want to see the death certificate first!
    likely to be issued on Hawaii.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

All it has done for extremists is turn a living martyr into a dead one.

Dead martyrs are more powerful

Esp after the clips shown on news this morning of as it was best described by f6 as the "grave dancing". THAT is handing publicity footage to the recruiters for extremists the world over But with the hysteria the media has whipped for the past 10 years it was going to be unavoidable.

Also, "one man" did not plan, train and enact 9/11 and the many other terrorist acts and those still on-going. Worried that soem think this means and "end" to the need to find peaceful solutions and to respect all who have lost their lives.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

He was a powerful figurehead, but by now that would really have been it. There will be many others there running things, but now that they are nameless it makes it harder to sell hunting them down to the public. Still, if there's a lessening of aggression on the West's part, there may be a corresponding lessening from theirs too.. eventually.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I guess this means the US will now be pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan and Pakistan?

Nope.. in fact more drone strikes on targets in Pakistan have been ordered.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I too wonder what his death brings. Not to be cynical, but how much of the daily Al Quaida things does he run anyway? He might not have been able to contribute, given his health and all. There will most definitely be a successor anyway.

But it's good we got him, it's just the "what now?" factor.

Give it 15 minutes and a new, scary boogie man will be created for the American public to be frightened of. Al Qaeda is just too impersonal an enemy to be afraid of.

He's dead, probably well deserved, but he was quite far removed from the day to day actions of his created organisation for a little while now, and they seem to be doing pretty poorly anyway.

Their recent non-presence during the Revolutions sweeping the middle east prove one thing: if the people are empowered and have their voice heard, extremists have very little footing on which to express their doctrines. They only had a footing because of discontent with the existing political arrangements within countries - something which the people took back on their own terms.

This doesn't solve anything, really. But it does Obama's re-election chances no harm at all.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    In Pakistan and in the vicinity of the capital. The Pakistan Government has something to explain.
    They knew the whole time. Pakistan seems to be an unstable, unpredictable beast of quite dangerous proportions.
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 05-02-2011 at 06:28 AM.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    A long form version, no less...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information