Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 GT6 for sale

1970 GT6 for sale

Saw this in Classic Motorsports magazine and checked it out online. Looks really nice and I am actually interested in it. Can someone please tell me a bit more of what I might be getting myself into? I have a little money saved up, but in reality, I may be selling the Mazda and picking up a 4x4 of some sort and a strictly summer car. This might fit the summer part, but there are alot of possibilities at this point. Also, how is the price?

Link:
    Classifieds: 1970 GT6 ++: Classic Motorsports Magazine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

The only problem I see is the triumph badge.... talk to clutch he owns something very similar
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

how friendly are you with your mechanic

salted roads too... hmm i guess not a problem for summer car
    price seems reasonable

edit: also...V6??? wtf
    can you get more info?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    how friendly are you with your mechanic

salted roads too... hmm i guess not a problem for summer car
    price seems reasonable

edit: also...V6??? wtf
    can you get more info?
    I pretty much have a full service garage spare for an engine hoist. I have done quite a bit recently between friends cars and other bits n bobs. Ill reply when I have a bit more info.
    -Carrol Shelby

Engine swaps are usually quite dodgy if done by unprofessionals. I would def ask for pics of the engine bay. It also looks pretty modified and who knows the quality of the mods. Again, ask for more pics. My opinion, there are much better cars out there for 10k.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    I pretty much have a full service garage spare for an engine hoist. I have done quite a bit recently between friends cars and other bits n bobs. Ill reply when I have a bit more info.
    okay. it would be worth it to know if he has run it in any competitions. if it's still being tested and worked on it could be a big project i guess.

for some reason it looks like it is sitting quite high, you can see those wierd skirt things he's riveted on under the front and sides.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

good idea. my previous project was a pontiac solstice ls3 conversion, but after much research decided it would be above my head. Im looking for something I can handle and this seemed like a posibility. Pics are on the request.
    -Carrol Shelby

What about an MGB GT V8?

Very popular swap, relatively easy to do, and cheap too.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    What about an MGB GT V8?

Very popular swap, relatively easy to do, and cheap too.
    I saw the green and silver one at the glen and was it faaaaaaast. They interviewed the driver and he said he was doin 140 mph down the backstretch.

I guess I am up for anything that is quick with alot of classic style. Anything helps as I am looking at corvettes from 2000 to 2002.
    -Carrol Shelby

what about an AC cobra replica?

Christ, that Triumph is horrible! It looks like something that was spawned in Need For Speed! I would not be touching that thing with a ten foot pole!

If you're going to buy a decent car that's of classic vintage, pay for one that has been professionally restored to either factory or club-racing standards. Make sure it has a history and is well known, otherwise you'll be paying for a car that used to wear "BODGY" for numberplates.

I like Triumphs, I think the TR6 is a great car, providing it's been well looked after and/or properly restored.

The car that you're looking at there was done by a panel beater's apprentice.

rofl

THe bonnet looks like a copy of the one Triumph themselves were developing to take the straight 6 engine for the planned ut cancelled GT6R. Inlcuding very crude looking plastic light covers

The rear wings and window I think reflect the race/track use.
    The cockpit is going to get VERY hot in warm climes with a tuned big engine up front.
    Checking the specs and the pics, it looks a well prepped competition setup.
    Would definitely want to know more about the engine.

Oh and let's not get too carried away with the "workmanship" of 1960s works race cars.

Take a look at the rear end of the FACTORY WORKS Le Mans entry ....
    THe window based louvres are likely much better at cooling !
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Sounds like a basket case to me....that 3.4 l V6 is most likely a basic GM unit from the minivans...

I looked online, and one can find REAL GT6s without flimflam for $7-$12,000....so why not pick up one of those vice this bastardized creation?

well to be fair. a real GT6 that costs you $7,000 will probably actually cost you $17,000.

Thread Information