Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G Wagon Experiences

^^^Actually compaired to the merc it's better at off road stuff.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Have you actually off-roaded in any of the two?
    I've read lots of reviews, last week i read A Top gear reviews, they call it the serious review. They compaired the range rover TDV8 to a Merc G Wagon 350 blue tec, i think that whats it's called. They said the range rover i slightly better off road and nicer inside. They said the Merc is still very very good off road but just not as good as the Range rover. But they said there somthing about the Merc that makes you want one more over the range rover.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

You know that the G-Wagon is nothing to do with the ML, GL or GLK, right?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    You know that the G-Wagon is nothing to do with the ML, GL or GLK, right?
    Yea why?
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Just making sure, I'd always heard the G-wagons were pretty good off road. Maybe it was the army versions.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

^^^ They are good off road, infact very very good off road, i didn't say it wasn't good off road i just said it's not as good as a Range rover TDV8 and thats a hard car to beat. If it was my money i would get a G Wagon over the range rover because i prefer them, but i wouldn't get the 350, it's not powerfull enough. Maybe it lost the test in the top gear mag because the the G wagon 350 had much less power for off roading then the range rover TDV8, if it was a higher G Wagon mabe it would have won the test. so mabe the G Wagon is just as good off road.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    ^^^ They are good off road, infact very very good off road, i didn't say it wasn't good off road i just said it's not as good as a Range rover TDV8 and thats a hard car to beat. If it was my money i would get a G Wagon over the range rover because i prefer them, but i wouldn't get the 350, it's not powerfull enough. Maybe it lost the test in the top gear mag because the the G wagon 350 had much less power for off roading then the range rover TDV8, if it was a higher G Wagon mabe it would have won the test. so mabe the G Wagon is just as good off road.
    I call BS.
    I've seen both in harsh terrain, and I have seen the G in a Bundeswehr demonstration. The G is a better offroader, believe me. The only car that could possibly beat it is the Defender.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

What he is trying to say here is that the fat SUV is better at off-roading than the lightly dressed up military off roader.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I know, and I still don't have any idea how he came to that conclusion.

Well, top gear often seems to favour nationalism over subjectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    I call BS.
    I've seen both in harsh terrain, and I have seen the G in a Bundeswehr demonstration. The G is a better offroader, believe me. The only car that could possibly beat it is the Defender.
    What engine was in the G Wagon, Was it a 350, the reviews i read said the range rover was better, and i'm not just talking about top gear reviews. Mabe the review was in diffrent terrian than the one you saw. The review i saw said they pretty close at off road abilty. If the review you saw in that terrian said the G Wagon was better i'm not going to argue. Anyway i love the G Wagon and like i said i prefer it over the Range rover.
    Last edited by thebrochureman; 05-25-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    What engine was in the G Wagon, Was it a 350, the reviews i read said the range rover was better, and i'm not just talking about top gear reviews. Mabe the review was in diffrent terrian than the one you saw. The review i saw said they pretty close at off road abilty. If the review you saw in that terrian said the G Wagon was better i'm not going to argue. Anyway i love the G Wagon and like i said i prefer it over the Range rover.
    I never said that you should like the G more than the Range Rover, I just wanted to point out that Top Gear isn't a reliable source for fair comparison tests. The show is a lot of fun, and so is the magazine, but it isn't a serious car show. You have to take all their results and resumees with a (big) grain of salt. Just look at their Tesla comparo (which was bs, but fun to watch).
    Of course the end result comes to a certain part down to the engine, but I'm also guessing that Top Gear's test also involved road tests- a part where most old school offroaders do badly in because of their design. The Range Rover is the best compromise money can buy, that's for sure.

I'd still buy a Mog .

^^^ I know you didn't say i should prefer the G Wagon over the Range rover. Yes you right Top gear are not serious and reliable.

But please don't think that i got my info about the G wagon off road abilt of top gear alone, because i didn't, i know some of their reviews are BS.

I agree the Range Rover is the best compromise money can buy.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information