Thread: Headset Reads Brainwaves

Headset Reads Brainwaves

This was just so weird I thought it needed to be posted.

NeuroSky Gamer Headset Reads Brain Waves

A US company has come up with a headset that reads your brainwaves - and they plan on marketing it to gamers. NeuroSky's prototype measures a person's baseline brain-wave activity, including signals that relate to concentration, relaxation and anxiety. So, if you're playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour and you lose concentration, you could find your shot buried in the rough if you fail to keep your Zen-like concentration.

The company has already developed a version based on Star Wars. Don the Darth Vader helmet, which contains a sensor that reads the brain's signals and, if you concentrate, your light saber remains illuminated. Start thinking about your girlfriend dressed as Princess Leia, with Danish Pastries over her - oops - and you lose the force, Luke. The headset is expected to go into production later this year and could cost as little as $20. – Ad Dugdale
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Who wants to bet on how long it lasts before bearded men link it to brain cancer and cell mutation

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    Who wants to bet on how long it lasts before bearded men link it to brain cancer and cell mutation
    I'd say 3 months at the very least.

Nice innovation but will it really add something to the game experience? I'm usually listening to music or chatting while playing game, so no concentration involved!
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    I agree with David, gaming is about fun and enjoyment rather then hardcore concentration and need to take over the world with my insane Haxxor skillz
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I doubt this will be the only use we see. Its just the beginning. Someday, they'll have it so that you 'set up your controller' beforehand. It won't be about concentration, it'll be about think left, and you go left.

How these new innovations really interest me though is in the field of medicine.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

They are probably using the device to read our minds and predict what we are planning to do and just using the game thing as a coverup
    I'm a real boy!

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    It won't be about concentration, it'll be about think left, and you go left.
    Where is the fun in pure thought driving our games, how would a player miss shooting at an opponent for example. I mean, your always thinking "headshot" and BANG. I wonder what military plans and technology would become. A fighter litterly would become an insane contest of decisions. If you even think "shoot down civilians" what would the consequences be? But im sure they would think of safe guards...end rant
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    How these new innovations really interest me though is in the field of medicine.
    More complex stuff is already being done. This probably is only capable of noticing "hey, there is increased activity in sector Y, which I am monitering!". Currently, researchers are trying to identify just how much brainwave activity occurs when xyz happens, and exactly what points of the brain are stimulated as a result.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    I am guessing you saw that stupid WiFi warning?

Thread Information