Thread: Tesla quitting?????????

Tesla quitting?????????

Why is it taking Tesla such a long time to make money on their electric car engineering? What is holding them up, and then now, they are about to leave the sports car business??

Tesla to stop selling electric sports car next year - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

Sounds suspiciously like the current Elise is not much longer for this world.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Don't say that
    Current Projects
    1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500

I said current Elise.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    Why is it taking Tesla such a long time to make money on their electric car engineering? What is holding them up, and then now, they are about to leave the sports car business??
    Because no one is buying them, revenue shortfalls, and supplier contracts not being renewed due to production changes.

So, no, they're not quitting. They just can't afford to re-engineer the roadster before they get the Model S out the door.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

This view is also supported by an Autoblog article. No mention of Tesla quitting there, just the current Roadster. I wonder if they're designing the new Roadster on the Elise successor chassis or a proprietary one.

Sports cars are all about reving and sound and shifting gears and all that wonderful stuff the Tesla doesn't do.

I don't think electric cars have much of a future (biodiesel, biodiesel, biodiesel), but if they do it's in large luxury cars, someplace where torque and silence are the goal.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

i don't think tesla is having a problem shifting their cars, and i'm certain they wont when they bring out the model S.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    but if they do it's in large luxury cars, someplace where torque and silence are the goal.
    Agreed, but luxury cars always want luxury, which equals weight and electricity consumption. Which would be a bad combination for battery life.

Dont be sad about the current elise going by the wayside, im sure they will make a new one, and im sure it will be better than the current one!
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

I said current Elise.
    Actually the current Elise is being phases out. There was something in the papers here a few months ago.

Proton (the owners of Lotus) is upgrading the line up and adding a new model. This is all to fit with current global demands for better performance cars a 2+2 model is in the works.

I guess we just have to wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by manlas View Post
    Actually the current Elise is being phases out. There was something in the papers here a few months ago.

Proton (the owners of Lotus) is upgrading the line up and adding a new model. This is all to fit with current global demands for better performance cars a 2+2 model is in the works.

I guess we just have to wait and see
    So what are the odds it's going to weigh significantly more? Wait, a 2+2 Elise? Wouldn't that be the Evora?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by manlas View Post
    Reading not your strong suit?
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    So what are the odds it's going to weigh significantly more?
    150 million of a percent.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    So what are the odds it's going to weigh significantly more? Wait, a 2+2 Elise? Wouldn't that be the Evora?
    It'd be the Europa actually. I'm sure Lotus would be firmly against making anything weigh significantly more than they perceive it has to, I'da thunk they'd be more likely to have a new Elise that stays within the current school of thought and introduce another model to be something more comfy if they think there's a market for that too. Which I thought was the reason behind the Evora in the first place, but anyway...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information