• Lancia Ypsilon Momo Sport

10 21.28%
  • Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 TS

16 34.04%
  • Volvo C30 1.6i

21 44.68%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Family car

Oh right, yeah, I see why now, just seen on the Volvo UK site that the C30 1.6D is £2,000 more expensive than the petrol equivalent... Is the new Corsa/Corsa OPC too expensive over there too or is not that great?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

My limited understanding of the european car market leads me to believe that the Lancia is a good bet. I, personally, wouldn't want a diesel anything though, but, then again, I payed $2.64/gal this morning-randomly cheap gas makes for a good day.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 08-29-2007 at 03:50 PM.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Oh right, yeah, I see why now, just seen on the Volvo UK site that the C30 1.6D is £2,000 more expensive than the petrol equivalent... Is the new Corsa/Corsa OPC too expensive over there too or is not that great?
    It's expensive and chavtastic. Not very frugal either. Great seats though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    My limited understanding of the european car market leads me to believe that the Lancia is a good bet. I, personally, wouldn't want a diesel anything though, but, then again, I payed $2.64/gal this morning-randomly cheap gas makes for a good day.
    I'm not keen on diesels either, but a) doing in excess of 20,000km a year with a supercharged Mini is painful for your wallet and b) the Lancia is only available with the diesel here.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

HAHA, I love that, 'chavtastic'.

Would you not consider a Skoda Octavia vRS TDI? Fantastic value for money, you've just got to overcome the brand image. Though I think it may well be over your budget..
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

You know how I feel about Alfas, Albert. So buy one.

Having test-driven the 1.6 147, I can vouch for it being a great drive. It's pretty quick, and feels wonderful. Looks excellent, and the interior is lovely- where you'll be spending most of the time viewing the car from!

I know manoeuverability is an issue, being in a city, but it'll be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    You know how I feel about Alfas, Albert. So buy one.

Having test-driven the 1.6 147, I can vouch for it being a great drive. It's pretty quick, and feels wonderful. Looks excellent, and the interior is lovely- where you'll be spending most of the time viewing the car from!

I know manoeuverability is an issue, being in a city, but it'll be worth it.
    Isn't it's thirst a problem though, which Albert stated was the reason they were ditching the Mini?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Isn't it's thirst a problem though, which Albert stated was the reason they were ditching the Mini?
    It won't be as thirsty as a forced induction hot hatchback, it's just less economical than the diesel-powered Lancia and maybe the fatter, less entertaining Volvo.

The average MINI Cooper S gives around 26mpg driving it everywhere- in a city, you can expect that to fall way below par. The Alfa has a combined consumption of 34mpg. It's just poor for the class, when you consider that the Golf GT (with an extra 65bhp) manages around 38mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    The average MINI Cooper S gives around 26mpg driving it everywhere- in a city, you can expect that to fall way below par.
    i disagree with that... i absolutely flog my car daily, and i have a combined of 26. so if you drive it like a sane person it is definitely possible to get over 30.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Anyone else confused by the definition of "family" car here?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Yes but thats because where we come from a family car can actually fit 5 people not about 3.5

c30 bro, great car. Handles really well but im not sure on kw's as aus spec c30's are 2.4L(125kw) base spec.
    Alfa's are unreliable piles of expensive trash.
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Yes, in fact the average fuel consumption for the Alfa is 8,1l/100km (29 US mpg) and the average fuel consumption figure ofr the Mini 8,6l/100km (27 US mpg). They are really close and the Alfa performance, well isn't exactly quick, 0-100km/h in 11"3 seconds. By comparison the Lancia does 4,7l/100km (50 US mpg) and does 0-100km/h in 10"3 seconds. Objectively when it comes to performance and fuel economy the Lancia is clearly better, but it has a less sophisticated suspension than the Alfa Romeo and it isn't as much car.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i disagree with that... i absolutely flog my car daily, and i have a combined of 26. so if you drive it like a sane person it is definitely possible to get over 30.
    I reckon I have a heavyish right foot. On a 100km trip at an average of 146km/h in the motorway I averaged 12,5l/100km (19 US mpg), which hionestly is a killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Anyone else confused by the definition of "family" car here?
    I've got a small family...
    Visca Catalunya!

I really don't know anything about those 3 cars seeing as none of them are offered in America, .
    the volvo is offered here, or at least in canada
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Would you not consider a Skoda Octavia vRS TDI? Fantastic value for money, you've just got to overcome the brand image. Though I think it may well be over your budget..
    Again, too expensive.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'd be all over the Lancia, personally.

you might not get as much car as the others, but good things come in small packages. and it's bound to be hella luxurious.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information