Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much music?

I also have ALOT of music... About 70GB.

EDIT: 20 4.7 GB DVDs. Each is 4.3 GB though.

I've got 3.16 in iTunes. But me and my dad share an album collection which must have well over 1000 albums in it.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

i only have 660~ songs on my ipod
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

think ive got about 3000 songs but there is 2.6gb of pink floyd on the download rite now as i sorta deleted my collection by accident
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

9861 in the playlist right now .. that would be about 75% of my total music .
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

OOOOk. Searching my music drives, I didn't realize that my pictures are all on the drives too. I thought I set it up differently. "Clevor" is supposed to mean Cleveland/Windsor, a Windsor block with Cleveland heads, as in a Ford Boss 302 Mustang motor.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    I sense a deliberate reason for the spelling of Clevor.
    Ever heard of CDs?, although I suppose thats old school. Another thing is I would be careful in furnishing the recording companies lawyers with such easy access to evidence of your piracy.

Regards,
    Ivan Tolitigate
    Corporate Affairs
    Sony Music USA
    Well if CD prices were reasonable then piracy wouldn't be that big of a problem. But of course all major record companies completely deny this. I used to buy a CD every week but these days I don't buy a lot of CDs anymore, only of music I really really like. Paying 20-22 euros for a CD is ridiculous. DVDs on the other hand can be had for cheap in the right stores.

I have 15403 songs on my computer. That's 71,39 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Paying 20-22 euros for a CD is ridiculous.
    Wow that sucks I pay about $10 for a CD and I know euros are worth more than USD.

I have ~600 songs ~ 3gigs on my comp, about twice that in CDs. Much more on cassette

With the utmost DISrespect I say F*$k the recording companies and all the musicians who don't back me up. In my eyes a musician makes music because they love too and want people to hear it and enjoy it, right? Well, to put it in perspective, once you have 10,000,000 in savings at the bank, even at 1 percent interest your making 100,000 a year, well alot of these people have made 200,000,000 off one album, even if only one quarter of that is in the bank at .5% interest they're STILL making 250,000 a year sitting on their ass. And they're complaining about the pennies they only see half of from CD sales! If a star gets up and tells people not to pirate because its stealing that just shows their true worthless character. My parents combined don't make 70,000 a year!

So in summary, F*** the execs and F*** the greedy stars who oppose pirating.

Just Venting... but, excluding the cursing, am I wrong?

I just listen to streaming music video on launch, I think it comes free with my internet service.
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by "Clevor" Angel
    With the utmost DISrespect I say F*$k the recording companies and all the musicians who don't back me up. In my eyes a musician makes music because they love too and want people to hear it and enjoy it, right? Well, to put it in perspective, once you have 10,000,000 in savings at the bank, even at 1 percent interest your making 100,000 a year, well alot of these people have made 200,000,000 off one album, even if only one quarter of that is in the bank at .5% interest they're STILL making 250,000 a year sitting on their ass. And they're complaining about the pennies they only see half of from CD sales! If a star gets up and tells people not to pirate because its stealing that just shows their true worthless character. My parents combined don't make 70,000 a year!

So in summary, F*** the execs and F*** the greedy stars who oppose pirating.

Just Venting... but, excluding the cursing, am I wrong?
    A musicians view:

yes. if it's illegal you shouldnt do it, and they shouldnt be persicuted for speaking out against it, its copyrighted material, and hwen you steal songs you violate their copyright. they worked very hard getting it perfect (in most cases) and the recording costs for major stars are huge, plus marketing etc so they DO have things to repay as well.

Plus, think about it, if your parents combined make $70,000 think if their boss just said, "well i dont think ill pay you for 15 of your 40 hours last week." how would your parents feel?

and for alot of musicians who dont have $10,000,000 in the bank (almost all) every penny counts, sure i love to play my music and innovate and play for people, but when (if) i start recording, your damn right im going to want my money, every penny matters when your selling 45,000 albums instead of 4,500,000 and trying to make a living doing it

i think musicians speaking out against it is good, U2, Will Smith etc. Because the way i see it is this: its like something at school, you want to be in the "in" crowd, so you start doing things they do, then you take it a little too far and make a prank that hurts someone, pretty soon the "in" start telling you and you start figuring out for yourself that what you did was wrong, and not cool after all, in this case the "in" corwd are the musicians and the prank is pirating

now alot of bands will have mp3 downlods on their website, thats fine because they are offering it to you for free, you arent deceiveing them. and besides when you buy a record you get alot better quality sound than the pirated music usually.

It's not just wrong, its illegal. Dont do it.

[QUOTE=my porsche]A musicians view:

yes. if it's illegal you shouldnt do it, and they shouldnt be persicuted for speaking out against it, its copyrighted material, and hwen you steal songs you violate their copyright. they worked very hard getting it perfect (in most cases) and the recording costs for major stars are huge, plus marketing etc so they DO have things to repay as well.

Plus, think about it, if your parents combined make $70,000 think if their boss just said, "well i dont think ill pay you for 15 of your 40 hours last week." how would your parents feel?

and for alot of musicians who dont have $10,000,000 in the bank (almost all) every penny counts, sure i love to play my music and innovate and play for people, but when (if) i start recording, your damn right im going to want my money, every penny matters when your selling 45,000 albums instead of 4,500,000 and trying to make a living doing it

i think musicians speaking out against it is good, U2, Will Smith etc. Because the way i see it is this: its like something at school, you want to be in the "in" crowd, so you start doing things they do, then you take it a little too far and make a prank that hurts someone, pretty soon the "in" start telling you and you start figuring out for yourself that what you did was wrong, and not cool after all, in this case the "in" corwd are the musicians and the prank is pirating

now alot of bands will have mp3 downlods on their website, thats fine because they are offering it to you for free, you arent deceiveing them. and besides when you buy a record you get alot better quality sound than the pirated music usually.QUOTE]

Granted, BUT if you hear about a musician over the radio or especially on TV, even if only for a month, chances are they have sold more than 200,000 albums, at $20 a CD thats 4,000,000, then say they personally recieve only 1/3rd of it, then they split it between say 4 band members, thats 250,000 for each THEN say they have 100,000 in the bank, at 1% they're making 2,500 a year. BUT once you've heard of them chances are their music videos are on TV, their name gets put on T-shirts and other merchandise, people with iPods will want their songs so say 50,000 people download, for a dollar, one song, thats about 4000 to each member so we're not talking about big numbers are we? Well the merchandise alone even for a mediocre band is worth over 1,000,000 a year total, thats about 100,000 to each member at least, then they'd be asked to make appearances and (granted rarely unless HUGE) million dollar endorsements. So far after a year they've each made close to 400,000. Lets cut it in half, 200,000, at 1% thats still 2,000 a year, plus the merchandise, plus the appearances, plus novelty royalties (bobbleheads n' such). AND thats all if they have a piss poor contract and bad management. Money is almost hard to get rid of once you have enough (more than 1,000,000). My point is that almost everyone I see campaing against piracy is a mulit-millionaire and makes millions without the help of selling albums. Most everyone I see fighting FOR free music are the underplayed or underground bands.

Even after all of this we're still talking about ONE part of hundreds of ways these people make money. I have a band, Phathom, we sell our cds for $5 to anyone who asks and give more away, that doesn't mean we don't get invited and payed to play anywhere.
    Last edited by "Clevor" Angel; 08-27-2005 at 08:09 PM.

yes, but the fact that multi-millionair bands are campaigning for it shows that they dont even want to tolerate it, even though they have too much money than they know what to do with it.

if YOU give out YOUR BANDS music, thats fine, you own the music, but stealing music is still stealing

if you want instant music for almost nothing, get what i have, Rhapsody, $9.99 a month and you can listen to and keep a library of as many songs as you want, and you can put all your songs striahgt to your mp3 now (unfortunately not ipod yet) so its a way that you can get alot of music, for the price of half an album,. thats like buying 6 albums a year, but you have access to 450,000

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    yes, but the fact that multi-millionair bands are campaigning for it shows that they dont even want to tolerate it, even though they have too much money than they know what to do with it.
    You just reinforced my point. Stealing is stealing but greed and extortion is no better. I have an iPod now. But just because someone downloads doesn't mean they wont buy the cd. Thats why I downloaded, to sample. If I liked it enough I'd go and buy the cd rather than spend 20 bucks on something thinking its great then hating most of it. Someone has to buy it for others to download it. If some star gets mad because they can't afford say, another house in the hamptons or their next BMW 760ci or Mercedes SL500 why should I care?

In this world we live in, nothing is free, why should music? If I were an artist I wouldn't want my record sales to lag because of piracy. It's not greed: they work for that money, by singing, going on tours, etc.
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

Thread Information