Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Virginia Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Instead of keeping lethal firearm out of the hands of dangerous people, I would rather the dangerous people be kept off the streets. That guy in Virginia was determined to be a threat to himself and others and should have never been out in public. It can't be blamed on guns.
    As soon as you can find a way to keep them off the streets I say guns for everyone. Except the kids who may use one by accident (cause some paranoid half wit left it loaded on the table in case they were attacked by dangerous criminals), the people who may accidentally shoot themselves and the people who may use them to attempt suicide.

Wait a minute... Crisis says that handguns were banned in the U.K. You say they were. Which is it?
    Go back and either read what I said or re- read it.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Switzerland has more relaxed gun laws (compared to the U.K.) and the number of people killed there (per 100,000) is less than in the U.K. How do you explain that?
    Are they actually more relaxed though? Just because they allow former army members to purchase a rifle after they leave the service doesn't mean they have relaxed gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Are they actually more relaxed though? Just because they allow former army members to purchase a rifle after they leave the service doesn't mean they have relaxed gun laws.
    It's certainly more relaxed than the U.K.'s laws.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    That's all good and well, but if the same thing had've happened after Port Arthur here in Australia, people would still have assault weapons. Unfortunately it takes tragedies like this to force people to change their ways.
    you can't compare the two, we have the luxury of having all firearms registered. We could take (knee jerk) action, the US cannot. There's no point even discussing it (a ban/buyback) as it won't work. Storage laws and actual background checks would.
    and no, they didn't run a background check; they ran a criminal records check, which is not the same thing.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It's certainly more relaxed than the U.K.'s laws.
    You wouldn’t know. Give a brief comparison of like vs like.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

do you even need to get a gun license in the states to get a weapon
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Quote Originally Posted by h22a View Post
    do you even need to get a gun license in the states to get a weapon
    once again
    Buying and owning a gun in Virginia does not require a permit, but without a gun permit only one handgun purchase per month is allowed, and there is no waiting period to acquire the gun.

The law is broad enough to allow people to buy assault guns and magazines without limit such as AK-47s and Uzi's

"Assault weapons are as easy to buy as hunting rifles,"

no restriction on the sale or possession of rapid-fire ammunition magazines that can fire up to 100 bullets without reloading

selling rifles and shotguns to children over 12 is permitted

In one controversial loophole, people can buy weapons at second hand gun shows without waiting periods or background checks
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

My mother and father are psychiatric nurses, so they have cared for mentally ill people for nearly 25 years. They both said a mental health professional should have been told about the killers' strange behaviour. Obviously, that never happened.
    Last edited by john14; 04-19-2007 at 07:27 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    I'd hardly call the gun control issue "frivolous", would you?
    No, I wouldn't and I didn't. This discussion isn't going to accomplish anything; I just don't see the point in arguing about this. I didn't want to get involved, but I could not resist speaking. I'm done with this thread; it's not discussing what I had hoped it would.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Sad part media using this event for profit Give some of it to familys who lost chidren and stop before some sick person does it again to gain attention!My 02

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    in the end there will be stricter security measures at campuses across the nation
    I can't help but find it slightly pathetic that it always takes more than one of a certain event for people to realize that maybe they need to start organizing and planning measures of safety and prevention of not just this but any kind of situation, whether it be fire, shooting, natural disaster etc etc. Everytime its the same story all over again and people go completely upset for a few weeks until its forgotten and it happens again a few years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Does anyone else find it quite disturbing that news agencies are openly broadcasting his rantings and pictures all over TV and the internet? I think it's in extreme bad taste, especially for the families of the victims to have those images and words plastered all over the news. I can't even imagine what they're thinking watching that. Surely NBC should have passed the information straight to the police and washed their hands of it. This guy posted this stuff to NBC with intention of it sealing his legacy and his notoriety in the realm of infamous serial killers. By broadcasting it they are granting the guy his final wish, giving him exactly what he wanted. It's just chilling and wrong IMO.
    I find it disturbing in the sense that all the media attention is at the moment motivating some mentally unstable teenager(s) in the US to repeat what he did. This isn't the end of school shootings.
    Switzerland has more relaxed gun laws (compared to the U.K.) and the number of people killed there (per 100,000) is less than in the U.K. How do you explain that?
    I like it how you always sound so sure about stuff you know nothing about. So guns in the hands of trained soldiers = relaxed gun laws?

Why more people are killed in the UK than in Switzerland isn't hard to figure out, just look up which country has far more violent crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDREW G View Post
    Sad part media using this event for profit Give some of it to familys who lost chidren and stop before some sick person does it again to gain attention!My 02
    Media is always using tragedies for "profit" that's what they do. If you don't want to support it, don't buy the papers, read the web articles etc.

My personal guess is that NBC will be donating or doing something for the families in the near future. My other guess is that the damage has already been done, somewhere a confused kid wants to be as known as the killer.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    I like it how you always sound so sure about stuff you know nothing about.
    I could say the same about you.

So guns in the hands of trained soldiers = relaxed gun laws?
    Yes, because where I live, even if you are a trained soldier (now a civilian), you would still need a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Why more people are killed in the UK than in Switzerland isn't hard to figure out, just look up which country has far more violent crime.
    Yet there are those who believe that guns are the cause of violent crime. If that were so, then the violent crime in Switzerland would be much higher than that in the U.K.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Yet there are those who believe that guns are the cause of violent crime. If that were so, then the violent crime in Switzerland would be much higher than that in the U.K.
    When I last checked in 2005, since the inception in Oz of gun reduction/gun control in 1995:

The actual number of firearm murder had decreased by around 20%, to the lowest level ever recorded by NHMP
    The percentage number of murder by firearm had decreased by around 50%, to the lowest level ever recorded by NHMP
    (NHMP = govt National Homcide Monitoring Program)

In Oz, assault is rarely fatal - but gun-assault is often so. ergo: reduce the guns, reduce the fatality

Yes, because where I live, even if you are a trained soldier (now a civilian), you would still need a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
    Somehow I see a difference between a society where a soldier is able to buy a rifle after his military service, and one where any random kid can.
    Yet there are those who believe that guns are the cause of violent crime.
    Perhaps the other way around?
    If that were so, then the violent crime in Switzerland would be much higher than that in the U.K.
    There are a lot of guns in Switzerland, but unlike the US they are mostly in well trained owners hands such as soldiers and hunters. Relatively few guns in the hands of criminals and the lack of such social tension as the UK and US has = less violent crime.

More guns still leads to suicides and murders of family members and where there are guns...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1568607.stm
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information