Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK 'to be green tech leader'

UK 'to be green tech leader'

Britain’s car industry could be reborn as a world leader in developing green technology, and could get proper long-term government planning for its future, if the recommendations in a new report from leading industry figures are implemented.

Of course the above claims are way too optimistic, but the UK has the skilled workforce along with the tradition in automotive engineering to make it happen. It takes time and investment, but in 20-30 years they could reap the benefits

Autocar - UK 'to be green tech leader'
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Mini - German.
    Jaguar and Land Rover - Indian.
    Aston Martin - Kuwaiti.
    Lotus - Malaysian.

So I assume they're leaving this task to Morgan and Bristol?
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

bristol has been making LPG Blenheims for decades... and the viper powered fighter gets exceptional mpg for that big of an engine, due to its very good aerodynamics. too bad they are both hideous.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I assume they're leaving this task to Morgan and Bristol?
    The article wasn't referring to the auto manufacturers, but to their suppliers. UK has a vast infrastructure of car-related businesses that have the know-how to develop parts that the manufacturers don't.

Most mass manufacturers these days construct the engine block and chassis and buy the rest of the parts from suppliers.

Some go to the extent of assigning the manufacturing to other factories (Porsche for Boxster, although this is not a mass manufacturer)

Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Mini - German.
    Jaguar and Land Rover - Indian.
    Aston Martin - Kuwaiti.
    Lotus - Malaysian.

So I assume they're leaving this task to Morgan and Bristol?
    The notion of a british car industry is indeed laughable.

Maybe the plan is to not make any cars at all so they don't pollute or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    bristol has been making LPG Blenheims for decades... and the viper powered fighter gets exceptional mpg for that big of an engine, due to its very good aerodynamics. too bad they are both hideous.
    I love the Blenheim, it's so left field. Unfortunately they only make it in RHD.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The key word here is "developing" green technology, not "manufacturing".

The manufacturing will always be done on cheap labour countries. But the development of the technology requires automotive ingenuity. UK has proven many times that they have the ability to develop new automotive technologies.

Some more relevant data

"Obama kills the hydrogen car by slashing research funding"

Obama kills the hydrogen car by slashing research funding - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

The fact is what makes today's cars so bad for the planet is their size and weight, the British figured out a solution to this forty years ago: YouTube - Jeremy Clarkson - Smallest Car
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

The fact is what makes today's cars so bad for the planet is their size and weight, the British figured out a solution to this forty years ago: YouTube - Jeremy Clarkson - Smallest Car
    That is utterly impractical. It can only hold one person.

Everybody should drive around in Type 14 Lotus Elites. A Cd of .28, 505kgs, and a massive two-person payload capability.
    It got a mere 35mpg with its '60s engine technology, but imagine what it could get today.
    And best of all; it was built when Lotus was a British company!
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    That is utterly impractical. It can only hold one person.

Everybody should drive around in Type 14 Lotus Elites. A Cd of .28, 505kgs, and a massive two-person payload capability.
    It got a mere 35mpg with its '60s engine technology, but imagine what it could get today.
    And best of all; it was built when Lotus was a British company!
    I like the second idea best.

In fact it's utterly brilliant.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I would certainly like one of these in my garage, but I wouldn't like to be involved in a crash with one of these. First of all because it would mean ruining a historic car and second because it would kill its passenger most likely...

The backbone chassis meant bad sideways impact protection with 60's standards, let alone today...

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    I would certainly like one of these in my garage, but I wouldn't like to be involved in a crash with one of these. First of all because it would mean ruining a historic car and second because it would kill its passenger most likely...

The backbone chassis meant bad sideways impact protection with 60's standards, let alone today...
    Didn't they fix that with the Elan?
    (Another car everybody should drive)

Alternatively, (and a lot more boring) the Tata Nano. 580kg, slap on some emission equipment (which will probably be required), and you're at a cool 600kg. You can then laugh at Jenson, Lewis, Kimi, and Co.
    India was once under British control, so that counts, right?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I'm sure the Elite could be made safe with modern technology but retaining all of its advantages.

(Elan +2, perfect family car?)
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm sure the Elite could be made safe with modern technology but retaining all of its advantages.

(Elan +2, perfect family car?)
    It could be made safe, but I doubt that it could retain its 500 kg weight, or its price. The Elise MkI had a claimed weight of 725 kg (Actually was more with fluids etc). The Elise MkII these days struggles to remain below 800 kg.

Given that the main advantage of the Elite was its weight, I doubt that it could be produced with todays legislation and still be as exciting as the 60s model.

Even Caterhams are heavier than the Elite

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    It could be made safe, but I doubt that it could retain its 500 kg weight, or its price. The Elise MkI had a claimed weight of 725 kg (Actually was more with fluids etc). The Elise MkII these days struggles to remain below 800 kg.

Given that the main advantage of the Elite was its weight, I doubt that it could be produced with todays legislation and still be as exciting as the 60s model.

Even Caterhams are heavier than the Elite
    How is that?

I mean, why are we going backwards?
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information