Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Megane 225 cup vs Focus ST

Megane 225 cup vs Focus ST

New forum user saying hello.

can't decide on the above?..iv'e driven both but can't decide

CUP - +looks different, very quick, build quality-depriciation, renault reliability

ST + Engine, torque, quality -maybe a little CHAV, delays, looks

help me someone.

I saw an ST yesterday in black and it looked rather sexy. From the reviews I've been reading, the ST seems to be a nice drive too. I'd be tempted to get a Seat Leon Cupra R, simply because I've had a soft spot for them If you handle the slightly chavy repuation the Ford has had imposed on it by a Mr. Clarkson, it would probably be your best choice.

That Ford earned its reputation long before JC pointed it out.

The ST is the drivers car. simple.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I'd take the ST. Much more bang for your buck, and it does not look chav, especially in bright orange

Chavs can't afford quality.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Chavs can't afford quality.
    It's not that they can't afford it; theres always the national lottery and scratch cards ... but it's that they don't know what quality is

this is an awesome comparison. Ive been totally undecided between the two for ages. The Renault is quick, is unique, and looks really good. The Ford is fast too, but lacks the certain flair and appealing value of the Renault if you understand what I mean.

I hear you on the Leon, Ive loved them too. One of my tutors has one, and we got a ride in it once, and it pulls so much in 3rd and 4th.... surprisingly quick, and he blatently wasnt going for it either.
    Porsche!

Yeah - and Seats don't really have the 'bad' reputation of Ford or the almost economic, wife with kids reputation of the Renault. The Seat still has a reputation to gain IMO.

I don't know if it's in your price range, but a Vauxhall Astra VXR would be my choice if it were on the list. I got a ride in one the other day. Firstly, it looks amazing in the flesh. Secondly, it is so fast it is scary. Finally, for a hot hatch it sounds excellent ... has a really nice rort. The owner said that he hasn't really had much trouble with torque-steer and thinks its just a complaint by people who feel they have to complain about something (Journalists ).

The VXR is a little out of my price range. If I could afford one it would be definetely one i'd consider. The seat iv'e driven and it is proper quick but i'd be buying an old car to be fair.

You can get the CUP and the ST for a discount on tinternet.

When I drove the ST the engine sounds amazing, whereas the CUP is pretty muted and there is no exhaust sound at all. They are both the same in term s of pace

I realise all the press are saying the ST is the best thing since slice bread but i can't help but think that everybody will get one.

I hear there is a 4-6 month wait on the ST. but it could be worth the wait

How about you look around for a used Focus RS? OK, the interior is really rather tacky, but it'll hold it's resale value much better than the ST... and you won't have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by block1
    I realise all the press are saying the ST is the best thing since slice bread but i can't help but think that everybody will get one.
    Well so far, I've only seen 2 and they've been on sale for a few months now. Personally I think most people who consider a Focus will look at the econo models rather than the sportier models, but I'm no psychic If the Megane Cup were as good as the Clio 182, I'd chose it in a heartbeat .. but it's not unfortunatley. I'd usually take a Renault over a Ford anyday, but this is one exception.

If you want a VXR don't buy it factory new...V'hall always have ex-demos, pre-reg's etc. I've seen one in Pentagon Derby for about £1,500 off list price.

Apparently the larger size of the ST's engine makes it slightly nose heavy in the corners compared to the 225, GTi, VXR etc. although the quality of Fords lately is going up...so it's not quite as bad as the "chav" reputation, at least not until it's 15 years old and chavs start buying them...
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Judging by the way my Focus RS behaves : i'd say the ford St.
    John Buffum was the man.

UCP's most violent member; a lump of destructive energy.

Quote Originally Posted by sunk
    Judging by the way my Focus RS behaves : i'd say the ford St.
    They sold the Focus RS in the USA?

Thing is, the RS and ST are completely different beasts...The RS is actually slightly quicker off the mark than the ST but I'm not sure how they do around a track...
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I'd get the Renault in a hearbeat. For a few reasons: I'm saving up to get one as my second car to replace my Clio, it looks awesome and has more personality, it may be a BIT slower than the ST on track but you absolutely do not notice this on the road. And hey I'm a Renault driver.

The Focus IS a great car but I'm attracted to it.

Thread Information