Page 43 of 82 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of The Car

If the financial system and those two carmakers went fully bankrupt the economic impacts would have been devastating.

However, for the long term success of our strange little form of capitalism, maybe if we had absolute financial ruin for 10 years things would be better very long term. Mind, hundreds of millions of young people would never get employed and about the worst thing for any society or civilization is a large proportion of angry young men that cannot attract women or work.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    somebody wrote this as an answer...

"Until these surveys operationalise reliability, I disregard this information as it's only based on arbitrary results"
    That is a little evasive in its ambiguity. Nevertheless as I said the findings are hardly empirical. Plenty of people say how shit Australian cars are yet I have obviously had extensive experience with them and considering what you get for your dollar I have not seen evidence. The other thing with regard to reliability is that modern cars are mostly made up form third party manufacturers parts. Apart from the actual engines (in some cases) and the basic body shell many mass produced consumer cars end up with off the shelf transmissions , clutches, brakes , electronics etc. Of course the onus is still on the manufacturer to ensure these parts hold up to a standard. Nevertheless some brands continue to have a “reputation” for unreliability.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Nevertheless some brands continue to have a “reputation” for unreliability.
    Recently there was a big issue here with VW TFSi engines, especially with the chain that drives the camshaft. Nevertheless some brands continue to have a reputation for reliability. Prejudice is difficult to get rid of and facts are really annoying.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Honestly the whole bailout thing still comes back to just how easy the banks got out of it, after the ruined the economy in the first place. No one did due diligence that deeply when they were bailing out GM, why would they? It was a case of keeping a large economic driver going, not how worthwhile they were as corporate citizens. How the media reacts to anything is a whole other issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    If the financial system and those two carmakers went fully bankrupt the economic impacts would have been devastating.

However, for the long term success of our strange little form of capitalism, maybe if we had absolute financial ruin for 10 years things would be better very long term. Mind, hundreds of millions of young people would never get employed and about the worst thing for any society or civilization is a large proportion of angry young men that cannot attract women or work.
    That's true, but it seems like GM never learns from their mistakes. They've had quality control issues in the past before but never to the extent of this.

Think about this- if you were CEO of the company and you knew about these issues, would you be fine with that?

These are cars your family members are potentially driving. It seems like no one along the chain of command were willing to say anything about these issues.

Recently there was a big issue here with VW TFSi engines, especially with the chain that drives the camshaft. Nevertheless some brands continue to have a reputation for reliability. Prejudice is difficult to get rid of and facts are really annoying.
    An issue, even a big with one, with an engine from a particular marque does not a reputation make. But I do agree stereotypes are hard to shake.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    An issue, even a big with one, with an engine from a particular marque does not a reputation make. But I do agree stereotypes are hard to shake.

this is also a publication on reliability...and the order is quite surprising.

Top 100 UK Cars | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

this is also a publication on reliability...and the order is quite surprising.

Top 100 UK Cars | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car?
    Interesting how high Daewoos and Hyundais got and how few BMWs and Mercs are in there.
    Is this based on an average or on the total cars? That would skew the results obviously.

Anyone notice how much of Ferrari's current cars look like the Ferrari P4/5, especially in the rear? I know the P4/5 is inspired by Ferrari's previous works, but it's really ironic, since they almost didn't want to badge the P4/5 as an official Ferrari anyway. I think the P4/5 Competizione (sp?) isn't an official Ferrari.

Also, while we're talking about styling, the new Hyundai Genesis looks just like something Chrysler would come up with. I thought it was a new 300 when I saw their scary cruise control commercial.

I'm wealthy and well educated, as it turns out.

Convertible owners more educated, well to do - Autoblog
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

This is a turn up.. D3 greater than M3?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoRAeL8qgSM"]Petrol BMW M3 vs diesel Alpina D3 - fast saloon showdown - YouTube[/ame]

In my mind, it may have just displaced the cap-spec Toyota Crown as my everyday car in the dream garage...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

So a diesel car is better than an M3.

This really is the end of the world as we know it.

And now I'm off to buy a Nissan Leaf.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

"Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

20:59 sounds like a terrible time in the Nür' even for an everyday car like a Prius. A Trabant did it in 16:01 back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Koevoet View Post
    20:59 sounds like a terrible time in the Nür' even for an everyday car like a Prius. A Trabant did it in 16:01 back in the day.
    but it did not realise 698 MPG such as the Prius did.

Are many of you beginning to feel that you prefer the previous generation of a recently redesigned car, or am I just getting old?

Thread Information