13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pontiac GTO

1 7.69%
  • Ferrari 250 GTO

12 92.31%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Car & Driver 1984] - Pontiac GTO '64 vs. Ferrari 250 GTO '64

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    Did ya crank up the bewst on yer terbo there ?

Seriously though, that's a decent gain for the money, especially if its to the wheels. Is your car naturally aspirated or forced induction?
    remapping the engine, and a small increase in turbo boost where it matters is a very simple way to increase the BHP of a turbo diesel.
    Interestingly, the "new" version of my engine, now offered by Citroen has the same BHP as my tuned one. (but less torque)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I figured you'd done a quick ECU remap. That's the price I paid for my Revo tune on my 1.8T as well, but its only Stage 1. The tiny diameter of my factory exhaust still chokes the car like crazy, so in order to wake it up more I have to switch to a 3" starting with the down-pipe.

Do you know what Citroen did to get the added power out of their newer engine? Does it still have the same displacement and PSI of boost?

Having a turbo makes getting a little added power much less expensive and far easier to accomplish. Yours being a diesel you should feel the biggest improvement in the torque. Friends of mine drive monstrous turbo diesel pick-up trucks, and when they do their intakes/exhaust and remap the ECU they are seeing power increases in the hundreds. The downside being that the sun gets blocked out by the jet black clouds mushrooming from their exhaust pipes when they put their feet to the floor.

I figured you'd done a quick ECU remap. That's the price I paid for my Revo tune on my 1.8T as well, but its only Stage 1. The tiny diameter of my factory exhaust still chokes the car like crazy, so in order to wake it up more I have to switch to a 3" starting with the down-pipe.

Do you know what Citroen did to get the added power out of their newer engine? Does it still have the same displacement and PSI of boost?

Having a turbo makes getting a little added power much less expensive and far easier to accomplish. Yours being a diesel you should feel the biggest improvement in the torque. Friends of mine drive monstrous turbo diesel pick-up trucks, and when they do their intakes/exhaust and remap the ECU they are seeing power increases in the hundreds. The downside being that the sun gets blocked out by the jet black clouds mushrooming from their exhaust pipes when they put their feet to the floor.
    I don't know what Ctiroen did to the engine, but it is the same displacement. I have no problems with soot, as all diesel cars are now mandatory fitted with a filter, which is more or less capable of reducing black smoke to a near minimum. Shoudl be something to be made mandatory over there too.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

"THESE WERE THE DAYS" When you could work/modify you car and not need an engineering degree. Today's cars are for white collar owners.

Quote Originally Posted by jjs69fb View Post
    "THESE WERE THE DAYS" When you could work/modify you car and not need an engineering degree. Today's cars are for white collar owners.
    You didn't need a degree to put ina bigger carb in any GTO (Pontiac, or Ferrari). Or new cams, for that matter. Right their are big gains in torque delivery, power, and efficiency. And it was ALOT cheaper then, because all that stuff was hugely available. Now you have to special order everything from the internet or a catalogue, while back in the day you go to a local garage...

However, power gains can be pretty simple in new cars as well. ECU mapping is decent priced and fairly simple. You can put in a cold air intake (and ram air scoop), and get 10-20BHP easy. Then you can upgrade brakes, tires, wheels, suspension and all sorts of stuff.

And, you can do all of this, if you got at least some experience. and some tools. THAT gets pricy, I'll concede.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I have no problems with soot, as all diesel cars are now mandatory fitted with a filter, which is more or less capable of reducing black smoke to a near minimum. Shoudl be something to be made mandatory over there too.
    I agree. It makes me cringe. This is what these people do for fun.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv45Jep0ylg&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv45Jep0ylg&feature=related[/ame]

I agree. It makes me cringe. This is what these people do for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv45J...eature=related
    If you want to stop emissions polluting the atmosphere, you might as well clog up all the cows asses, and the volcanoes while you're at it.

And then next to that, with drag racers like that making up well less than 1% of the population, compared to all the other cars on the road, drag racers hardly make an impact. Environmental regulation of motor sport just makes it less entertaining.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    If you want to stop emissions polluting the atmosphere, you might as well clog up all the cows asses, and the volcanoes while you're at it.

And then next to that, with drag racers like that making up well less than 1% of the population, compared to all the other cars on the road, drag racers hardly make an impact. Environmental regulation of motor sport just makes it less entertaining.
    I never said I wanted to stop emissions polluting the atmosphere (its impossible?), nor do I care to regulate motor sports, because the event in question here isn't motor sport, its just motor. In real motor sports, they don't sell tickets for competitions on who can generate the most smoke by spinning their tires, nor do they drive big, thirsty trucks fast in a straight line. In my mind such things are childish, wasteful, and don't prove anything. So what if its less than 1% of the population? Its still a mess, so I'm more than granted my right to "cringe" when people do stupid, unnecessary shit.

I never said I wanted to stop emissions polluting the atmosphere (its impossible?), nor do I care to regulate motor sports, because the event in question here isn't motor sport, its just motor. In real motor sports, they don't sell tickets for competitions on who can generate the most smoke by spinning their tires, nor do they drive big, thirsty trucks fast in a straight line. In my mind such things are childish, wasteful, and don't prove anything. So what if its less than 1% of the population? Its still a mess, so I'm more than granted my right to "cringe" when people do stupid, unnecessary shit.
    Drag racing is just as valid a motorsport as any. Drag racing is hardly "stupid, unnecessary shit." Sure, diesel drag racing ain't my thing, and I can tell its not yours, but it is valid nonetheless. Its about going fast, and while it may not be a circuit or a grand prix, its a test of drivers and cars.
    Last edited by Magnum9987; 10-14-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Jimi Hendrix

Drag racing is just as valid a motorsport as any. Drag racing is hardly "stupid, unnecessary shit." Sure, diesel drag racing ain't my thing, and I can tell its not yours, but it is valid nonetheless. Its about going fast, and while it may not be a circuit or a grand prix, its a test of drivers and cars.
    I suppose it does entail a lot of the same characteristics of other motor sports, which are

- possibly the ability to make it off a green light faster than the idiot beside you

- shifting quicker (don't they only have two gears?)

- making it to the end without your car breaking or you dying

- your teams ability to prepare a proper car

only one minor difference, its in a straight f'ing line, and kids regularly do it for fun with their hondas. I had a hard enough time calling NASCAR motorsport, but that is absolutely where I have to draw the line.

Just because its a program on Speed TV doesn't make it a sport.
    Last edited by DesmoRob; 10-14-2010 at 12:29 PM.

While I am a fan of drag racing, I am in complete agreement with Rob about the stupidity of those trucks. In motorsport the burnt fuel is ostensibly going towards some end; moving quickly.
    These trucks are basically just releasing twin ugly black smudges purely for the **** of it and while wanton waste can be fun in this instance it is just stupid.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I suppose it does entail a lot of the same characteristics of other motor sports, which are

- possibly the ability to make it off a green light faster than the idiot beside you

- shifting quicker (don't they only have two gears?)

- making it to the end without your car breaking or you dying

- your teams ability to prepare a proper car

only one minor difference, its in a straight f'ing line, and kids regularly do it for fun with their hondas. I had a hard enough time calling NASCAR motorsport, but that is absolutely where I have to draw the line.

Just because its a program on Speed TV doesn't make it a sport.
    Typical european understanding of drag racing.

Sure, if you are new to the idea of building a fast car, it may seem easy to you. But its about alot more than the actual race. Its about building the car. the races are won and lost in the garage. Its about modifying the cars. Sure, it may not be as big and impressive as Formula 1 or 24 Hr. GT racing, but those teams have MILLION dollar budgets. Lotus, one of the cheapest teams, has a 50 million dollar budget. Most drag racers, don't even have a 200,00 thousand dollar budget, if that.

Drag racing has always been about your average joe, doing the best that he can with his vehicle. And all those misconceptions you had are WRONG.

Their is alot more to the start than just a regular green light. Maybe if you are doing illegal street racing it is that simple, but in a proper race, their are absolutely split second reaction times required. Races are won or lost in how fast you react. Even a 1/100th of a second off can lose you the race.

Only the proffesional drag racers have two gears, and they don't even have time to shift because they are doing the 1/4 mile in 6 seconds, or faster. Most people 7 seconds and up have a 3-5 speed. Those with extra budget get a 6 speed. Then you have a much harder clutch peddle because they aren't some flimsy thing like you'd find in a Ferrari because they don't produce hardly any torque...

And your car breaking is a serious issue. people die if they mess it up. Even proffesional race cars break. A Formula 1 car couldn't handle the power these cars have. And if you mess up one thing, your engine blows up, and chances are, someone could be killed. A piston flies, someone dies.

Drag racing is a true test of man and machine. This is undeniable. To do so is arrogant and snobbish.
    Jimi Hendrix

Drag racing is a true test of man and machine. This is undeniable. To do so is arrogant and snobbish.
    I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

I realize its quite futile arguing over what could be classified as sport and what can't, so I can't be one to judge. Hell, even facebook is a sport, because people compete to see who can get the most friends.

Okay, drag racing may be heavy competition although somewhat primitive, and I do commend average Joe for his effort on such a small budget. But with half the money, I would have bought a rear-wheel drive sports car, stripped it down and taken up some type of amateur racing that involves tracks.

At the end of the day, to each their own .

probably the least relevant to road cars though imo. nice test of acceleration though
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information