Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    Don't worry, Max will protect me.

Max-imum Back-tracking
    WHO CAME UP WITH
    THIS GUY'S NAME? - 'AutoMotivated' - what a w.....r

If your life's not cars
    it's not worth living!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    However, what about the roads up in the San Gabriel mountains ? There are some great twisties up there
    Reminds me of a road test I saw in Hot Rod magazine...

"... At high speed through twisting mountain passes or over undulating desert dips, the 300-F is head and shoulders above any other car on the road..."

- Ray Brock, of Hot Rod magazine, talking about the 1960 Chrysler 300-F (Hot Rod, April, 1960)

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMotivated
    Max-imum Back-tracking
    Maybe.

To quote Maxwell Smart, "If the Germans were so smart, why did they lose two world wars?"
    Coz they didn't wait till it was almost over before they joined in
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Reminds me of a road test I saw in Hot Rod magazine...

"... At high speed through twisting mountain passes or over undulating desert dips, the 300-F is head and shoulders above any other car on the road..."

- Ray Brock, of Hot Rod magazine, talking about the 1960 Chrysler 300-F (Hot Rod, April, 1960)
    Fleet, you really are EXTREMELY myopic.

So a US journo says a US car is better than other US-availabel cars.
    Bet he'd never been to France in his life to drive an Alpine or a Bonnet or LAncia Giula or a hundred other cars you guys didn't get the chance to try for real.

Let me repeat, the difference was we DID get to try lots of US cars. Partly because lots of Europeans travelled to the US and partly because the cars were imported here for US forces. VERY FEW Euoprean cars ever saw the shores of the US.

I'm not repeating that again. Please listen this time and stop posting drivel as 'examples of fact'. I mean COME ON, posting a comparison in a HOT ROD mag about handling !!!!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

To quote Maxwell Smart, "If the Germans were so smart, why did they lose two world wars?"
    I believe it was because they didn't have Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise and Jon Bon Jovi on their side.

Of the cars considered to be the best in class have you ever wondered why none of them are American?

Ford Focus - Designed and developed by Ford Europe in Germany - best hatch
    BMW 3 and 5 series, Mercedes S-Class - Best executive cars
    Range Rover, Volvo XC90 - Best SUV's (even the Americans can't get that right)
    Thanks for all the fish

So a US journo says a US car is better than other US-availabel cars.
    Bet he'd never been to France in his life to drive an Alpine or a Bonnet or LAncia Giula or a hundred other cars you guys didn't get the chance to try for real.
    How do you know what cars the journalist had driven?
    Perhaps you should drive a 1960 Chrysler 300-F. You would probably be as shocked as that foreign-car-only enthusiast who test drove a '59 Plymouth Sport Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Of the cars considered to be the best in class have you ever wondered why none of them are American?

Ford Focus - Designed and developed by Ford Europe in Germany - best hatch
    BMW 3 and 5 series, Mercedes S-Class - Best executive cars
    Range Rover, Volvo XC90 - Best SUV's (even the Americans can't get that right)
    Just who considers those cars to be the best in their class?

Some years back, the record for the highest mileage without an engine rebuild belonged to a '79 Cadillac Sedan de Ville (576,000).

Then there is (according to Popular Mechanics magazine, May, 1976) a '73 Pontiac Bonneville that went 230,000 miles with only major parts needed being a water pump and alternator.

Or a '70 Chevrolet Impala V-8 that went 273,000 with the original transmission fluid

Or a '67 Olds 98 with 218,000 miles in which the transmission fluid has been changed only once, and the (engine) heads and pan have never been off the engine.

Or a '62 Chrysler 300 with 195,000 miles with the only engine repair needed was a new timing chain (at 130,000 miles).

Or a '64 Buick LaSabre in which the original transmission lasted 207,000 miles (the fluid had never been changed).

Or a '62 Chevy Impala V-8 in which the original transmission lasted 190,000 miles (again, fluid never changed; this is what I mean when I said that even American cars that are neglected in many cases last a long time). The engine in the Chevy had never been apart, not even for a valve job. The owner did put on a timing chain preventively once when the radiator was off.

Etc., etc.

Coz they didn't wait till it was almost over before they joined in
    What country waited "till it was almost over before they joined in?"
    It certainly wasn't the U.S. WWII is considered to have started on Sept. 1, 1939, when Germany invaded Poland. The U.S. declared war the day after the Pearl Harbor attack (Dec. 7, 1941). WWII did not end until April, 1945 in Europe, and Aug. 1945 for the Pacific/Japan. 1941 is closer to 1939 than to 1945. Also, don't forget that even before the U.S. entered WWII, she was supplying the U.K. with war material under the Lend/Lease Act.

(BTW, I could go on about how the U.S. landed on the beaches with the most fierce resistance on Normandy on D-Day [June 6, 1944]... with Omaha being the worst, but that could be for another time.)

Just who considers those cars to be the best in their class?

Some years back, the record for the highest mileage without an engine rebuild belonged to a '79 Cadillac Sedan de Ville (576,000).

Then there is (according to Popular Mechanics magazine, May, 1976) a '73 Pontiac Bonneville that went 230,000 miles with only major parts needed being a water pump and alternator.

Or a '70 Chevrolet Impala V-8 that went 273,000 with the original transmission fluid

Or a '67 Olds 98 with 218,000 miles in which the transmission fluid has been changed only once, and the (engine) heads and pan have never been off the engine.

Or a '62 Chrysler 300 with 195,000 miles with the only engine repair needed was a new timing chain (at 130,000 miles).

Or a '64 Buick LaSabre in which the original transmission lasted 207,000 miles (the fluid had never been changed).

Or a '62 Chevy Impala V-8 in which the original transmission lasted 190,000 miles (again, fluid never changed; this is what I mean when I said that even American cars that are neglected in many cases last a long time). The engine in the Chevy had never been apart, not even for a valve job. The owner did put on a timing chain preventively once when the radiator was off.

Etc., etc.
    this is useless... we are going around in circles.... im just gonna stop posting in this thread… lol
    Last edited by SPN:DOC; 07-21-2004 at 11:12 PM.
    WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!! Renault F1 :)

(BTW, I could go on about how the U.S. landed on the beaches with the most fierce resistance on Normandy on D-Day [June 6, 1944]... with Omaha being the worst, but that could be for another time.)
    It seems to me that this is another American victory that happens to put a lot of other things in its shadow that may not want to be remembered. There's a lot that can be brought up as far as military events go, but we should probably leave all of that out of this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    It seems to me that this is another American victory that happens to put a lot of other things in its shadow that may not want to be remembered. There's a lot that can be brought up as far as military events go, but we should probably leave all of that out of this topic.
    Sorry but I saw this lat night. The Real Heroes of Telemark. 4 Danish commandoes who spent 6 months in a freezing cabin 20 miles from the German plant that was developing heavy water for Germanys shot at the big one. They survived on Reindeer moss and when things got better reindeers stomachs. They were seriously undernourished (not to mentioned grossed out by the stomachs), cold and low on morale. Apparently they were an advance party for another commando group that were to land by glider. Gliders and WW2 didnt really go that well together. Anyhow the next part is next week which tells how the next lot of commandos and these guys launched an attack on this heavily fortified installation. I know the answer. They won, we won and Hitler lost but it was a crucial part of WW2.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

How do you know what cars the journalist had driven?
    Perhaps you should drive a 1960 Chrysler 300-F. You would probably be as shocked as that foreign-car-only enthusiast who test drove a '59 Plymouth Sport Fury.
    You misunderstand FLeet, please try to "think out the box".
    How many US journalists caem over to Europe and test drove Boneets, D'Jet's, A110s ?
    Almost nobody.
    To be SOOO adamant' of hanlding then it is self-evident that this journo hadn't .
    But that needs you to consider that there was a fundamental difference in approach to cars, guided by market needs which skewed the US to big and bigger and more power to move it and Europe to nimble, smaller and equivalnet power/weight.

What country waited "till it was almost over before they joined in?"
    It certainly wasn't the U.S. WWII is considered to have started on Sept. 1, 1939, when Germany invaded Poland. The U.S. declared war the day after the Pearl Harbor attack (Dec. 7, 1941). WWII did not end until April, 1945 in Europe, and Aug. 1945 for the Pacific/Japan. 1941 is closer to 1939 than to 1945.
    Yep, millions invaded, hundreds of thousands killed.
    Sorry but back then the US had little interest and wanted to stay out of it. Read congressional papers of the day to see the strong stance taken on non-involvement. Until Pearl. Eureopan nations entered the war BEFORE they're homelands were attacked to try to help their neighbours and stop the progress of fascism.
    Also, don't forget that even before the U.S. entered WWII, she was supplying the U.K. with war material under the Lend/Lease Act.
    US Congress didnt' want to do it, it took Churchill making DIRECT demands that only brought it in and THNE under terms that crippled the British economy. It was only in the last 5 years that the last of those debts were paid off !!!
    Sorry Fleet, now I'm bored with the US-myopia.

Canadians met the fiercest resistance on D-Day.
    They also led an attack to tie up HUGELY SUPERIOR forces knowing they didnt' stand a chance to give the forces on the beaches west of them a better chance of getting ashore. If they hadn't it's widely accepted that Germany could have held ground for a few days and that coudl have turned the war.

Hollywood has a lot to apologise for

So lets leave war history out of UCP.

Thread Information