Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Aurion Release - first drive and prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    How hard can it be to get a decent transmission these days?
    Not that easy actually. When youre talking high-torque (which in the big scheme of things is more than 300nm) unless you want to be stuck with a truck transmission like the GM 4 speed, youve got to look at something more expensive like the Euro transmissions. Im sure Ford have done alot for BTR the last 15 years with their 4 speed.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    The lack of low down zip might not hurt the 0-100 times. Plenty of cars with poor low down torque can still put in the numbers.
    In fact, I'm not sure that needing to rev the engine is a real criticism - just a preference for how the power is delivered. I remember back in the 80s/90s the Aussie motoring journos complained that the Falcon and Commodore had plenty of low down grunt but wouldn't rev out. Now the same journos complain about engines that need to be revved. Can't win.
    But the tranny's on both the Aurion and the VE Omega sound disappointing. In fact I've some read criticism of the six-speed auto in the Commodores as well. The Ford six-speed trans sound like they've got both Toyota and Holden covered.
    Based on what I've seen and read so far, neither the Aurion or the Commodore present a strong case for the Wheels Car of the Year - primarily due to the failure of the transmission to deliver the necessary goods.
    You can not win Jurnos up and down like a piston. I like a engine too rev a little, But the Aurions torque seem too be up real high. My car gets max torque 3600rpm, And getting too 2900rpm i feel it come on and back the foot off and let the torque pull away, It reminds me the aurion of my sisters proton, That car needed too get into some bigger RPM too gain it's power which wasnt bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    How hard can it be to get a decent transmission these days?
    I could lend them mine
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    Did anyone else find the model naming amusing zr6 and sx6.
    They sound like sportsbikes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx
    The naming in general sucks. Prodigy and Presara don't sound as Aussie as Toyota would hope.
    Prodigy? I can't see these guys driving an Aurion

In fact, I'm not sure that needing to rev the engine is a real criticism - just a preference for how the power is delivered.
    Good point, but I really think in cars like this you want to have plenty low down so you don't need to rev it hard to get anywhere at a decent pace. These will be family cars and IMHO most family car types won't be wanting to revving out driving the kids to school.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Perhaps the slow throttle and gearbox response is because 200kw charging suddenly through the front wheels is not a particularly good thing.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Perhaps the slow throttle and gearbox response is because 200kw charging suddenly through the front wheels is not a particularly good thing.
    Does the Aurion limit power to the wheels in 1st and 2nd like the 3 MPS?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Was thinking that also be funny turning the front wheels off the mark When they are doing 80kp/h in 2nd -3rd hold the gear get the revs too 3400 and floor it the bugger would fly.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

So far the reports suggest the handling and steering are both right on the current large car pace. Could just be the engine/trans characteristics. Haven't seen any reports of torque steer being an issue yet. Neither have I seen any 0-100km/h or in gears times.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 10-18-2006 at 07:08 PM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Based on what I've seen and read so far, neither the Aurion or the Commodore present a strong case for the Wheels Car of the Year - primarily due to the failure of the transmission to deliver the necessary goods.
    Since Wheels needs to base its COTY on the whole range and the Omega and SV6 are the weak link in the Commodore range whereas as both Calais and SS versions present a strong argument, it is worth pointing out that the Statesman/Caprice will be considered as a separate model/range to the Commodore. Haven't seen any real criticism of the Statesman/Caprice so far - just that they don't inspire as much emotion as the Commodore does.
    Perhaps we'll be looking at the Statesman/Caprice to win COTY rather than Commodore or Aurion?
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

So far the reports suggest the handling and steering are both right on the current large car pace. Could just be the engine/trans characteristics. Haven't seen any reports of torque steer being an issue yet. Neither have I seen any 0-100km/h or in gears times.
    The steering and handling wont be affected by torque steer if the power is not delivered in a way that induces it. i.e. instantly as the report suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    Did anyone else find the model naming amusing zr6 and sx6. Is like they merged the naming of the xr6 with vz not very original or inovative. Surely they could have come up with a more toyota like name.
    or you could consider that these are very similar to Celica naming?

Particularly SX - which was used on both the Corolla and Celica in the late 80s/early 90s. Back then SX was used rather than GT for insurance purposes on the "hot" Toyotas (don't laugh - they actually were pretty hot for the time).
    Also, the "ZR" badge has been used by Japanese market Toyotas in the past - particularly the Celica. Of its the use of the "6" after it makes it too close to Fords XR6 and that may upset some Ford fans, maybe even Ford itself. But isn't SV6 as used by Holden a rip off of the Ford badging as well?

The steering and handling wont be affected by torque steer if the power is not delivered in a way that induces it. i.e. instantly as the report suggests.
    I guess the way the power is delivered would also help drivetrain longevity. Perhaps a compromise that won't be as noticeable in real world driving as on the drag strip.

But isn't SV6 as used by Holden a rip off of the Ford badging as well?
    I think that was a Magna that had SV6 badges earlier
    I am the Stig

I guess the way the power is delivered would also help drivetrain longevity. Perhaps a compromise that won't be as noticeable in real world driving as on the drag strip.
    Sure. We enthusiasts sometimes forget these cars are family sedans designed for such things and not for wrenching every last 1/100 of a second out of.
    Really!

Sure. We enthusiasts sometimes forget these cars are family sedans designed for such things and not for wrenching every last 1/100 of a second out of.
    Really!
    My family always forces me to do just that
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information