Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Aurion AT-X and Holden Commodore VE Omega Road Tested by MSN

Terrificly enjoyable and thorougly enjoyable write-up, very good read start to finish MSN. Bit suprised that even after all these years the BA has some fight left in it, and I certainly wasn't suprised by your writeup of the 380, certainly a very under-rated car, an unfortunate thing for the Australian motoring scene.

Well done to the Aurion, pipped the Commo and suprised me when you stated how good its ride / dynamics were.

p.s. i have to admit, I enjoyed reading this at least twice as much as anything from drive.com or GoAuto
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Wow, that's a shocker. I'll have to give the Aurion more credit from now on. I still don't like it, however. The styling is a turn off (what appears to be chrome on a base model is appealing though). Not that the Omega is any more exciting. Being the Ford supporter that I am, I will say the BFII XT looks better than both up the front. Ford made it alot more agressive and I love the darkened headlights. The body is trumped by the rest of the field though.

Quote Originally Posted by Syko
    btw you say there isn't a difference between ba and bf but there is.
    Alot of people dismiss the BF improvement, but it was really significant, mechanically. An upgraded engine, alot of money spent on cabin noise levels and a few other things really do make it more than just a simple facelift, to the point where Carsguide said they would jump either way - XT or Omega.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    p.s. i have to admit, I enjoyed reading this at least twice as much as anything from drive.com or GoAuto
    Yeah, MSN gives brilliant reviews. GoAuto, Drive.com.au just don't cut the mustard IMO.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Yeah, MSN gives brilliant reviews. GoAuto, Drive.com.au just don't cut the mustard IMO.
    yes they are dependent on advertising.....and on getting press cars
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Wouldn't it have just been easier to post the link?
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Here is a VE SV6, Tell me did the 180 sound like this?
    Pisssss 195 over engine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jA8pDdWamk

Were all 3 of you in the omega always?.

I'm suprissed you can drive base models that fast I got sore eyes now.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    Wouldn't it have just been easier to post the link?
    Wouldn't it have just been easier to read the article and realise that it was written by our very own Motorsportnerd.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Wouldn't it have just been easier to read the article and realise that it was written by our very own Motorsportnerd.
    ....owned
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    now these are all unknown quantities to me, so I have a lot of reading to do, and I am sure it will be worth it.

Just comparing the Toyota V6 and the Commodore, or Omega (?) V6 engines, I noted that the toyota has max torque at 4700 and max bhp at 6000, or at the red line, the Omega had max power at 6000 as well, but max torque at 2600 only. I think that would make the Toyota less pleasant/easy to drive. The fuel consumption difference is also significant...
    Easy enough to explain. While the Toyota develops peak torque at 4700rpm, it has a large percentage of this torque available from low rpm. I'd have to search for the torque curve figures, but it felt like at least 70% of the torque was available from just under 2000rpm. Also, with a six speed gearbox, the Toyota has more ratios available to ensure it is less likely to fall into a hole in its torque curve.
    What interested me more was the Commodore's figures. The didn't feel that torquey low down and it didn't like been revved to 6000 rpm where it developed its max power. And with only a four-speed transmission, it was caught out of its torque/power band more easily.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 11-22-2006 at 03:30 PM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Easy enough to explain. While the Toyota develops peak torque at 4700rpm, it has a large percentage of this torque available from low rpm. I'd have to search for the torque curve figures, but it felt like at least 70% of the torque was available from just under 2000rpm. Also, with a six speed gearbox, the Toyota has more ratios available to ensure it is less likely to fall into a hole in its torque curve.
    What interested me more was the Commodore's figures. The didn't feel that torquey low down and it didn't like been revved to 6000 rpm where it developed its max power. And with only a four-speed transmission, it was caught out off cam more easily.
    thanks, indeed a torque curve for the Toyota would be interesting...were both cars automatics?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Would be interesting to see how the six speed auto Commodore compared. Sure you have plenty of time!
    Good comparo by the way.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    thanks, indeed a torque curve for the Toyota would be interesting...were both cars automatics?
    Yes they were automatics.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Would be interesting to see how the six speed auto Commodore compared. Sure you have plenty of time!
    Good comparo by the way.
    Since all the six speed auto Commodores are V8s they'd be in a completely different league. Still if I get the chance I'll jump at it.

Yeah, MSN gives brilliant reviews.
    Yep he sure does, and significantly he pays out of his own pocket to obtain the cars, test them and deliver these excellent, realistic & well written reviews to us .. thanks MSN!
    GoAuto, Drive.com.au just don't cut the mustard IMO.
    Maybe these outfits should consider engaging the services of MSN in their appraisal process, instead of employing yet more 'cadet editor' journos that are exuded (sausage fashion) fresh out of professional writing school?

Btw from MSN's pics I note than Holden has disappointingly followed Falcon's unwelcome trend in no longer gracing their tachos (and their owners) with a redline
    Last edited by nota; 11-22-2006 at 06:59 PM.

On Auto Commodores it shouldn't be an issue.

and anyway, the red line takes away from the aesthetic, daaaahling.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information