Thread: All-new SRT Viper GTS, a Viper GTS-R retrospective and the latest Fisker ...

All-new SRT Viper GTS, a Viper GTS-R retrospective and the latest Fisker ...

Most certainly the highly anticipated reveal at this week's New York International Auto Show was the SRT Viper GTS. Replacing the previous generation Viper, of which ceased production back in 2010, the latest version incorporates all the elements that gave the previous models such a big following. These include a big V10, which in its latest guise produces a hefty 640 bhp, and a lightweight, independently sprung chassis. With more sophisticated electronic systems, a more luxurious interior and a polished exterior, it is also safe to say that the Viper has matured. Another big change is that the car will be marketed not as a Dodge but under the 'SRT' high performance brand. For full details of the 2013 model Viper, we would like to refer to the in-depth press release, illustrated by a spectacular 24-shot gallery.
    During the launch it was also announced that the Viper will return racing, starting with the American Le Mans Series (ALMS). That brings back lovely memories of the Dodge Viper GTS-R, which was raced with great success between 1997 and 2001, winning almost every race it was entered in. Among the many trophies are an outright win in the Daytona 24 Hours and class wins at Le Mans and Sebring, as well as championship crowns in the FIA GT Championship and the ALMS. To celebrate the launch of the Viper and its return to racing, we have taken a very close look at the GTS-R with images and individual histories of new fewer than five Viper Team Oreca chassis.
    Tomorrow, we will bring a full run down of all the NYIAS releases but we could not keep this Fisker Atlantic from you. Combining the lovely lines penned by Henrik Fisker and a sophisticated drivetrain, it is the living proof that green cars certainly do not have to be boring. Compared to the similar Karma it is a little smaller and should become a rival for the four-door coupes produced predominantly by the German luxury manufacturers.

Enjoy the links:

1996 - 2005 Dodge Viper GTS-R - Images, Specifications and Information

2012 Fisker Atlantic - Images, Specifications and Information

2012 SRT Viper GTS - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

FYI the weight on the spec for the Viper is wrong, your KG weight is probably the lb weight....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Yeah, I just saw that and was confused - it says a weight savings of ~100 lbs, not -900 or more Should be brutal, I'm excited for this.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Love the rear end but the front is a little too Ferrari for my liking

Those Viper instruments are damn tacky...

I like it though, especially that side profile.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    FYI the weight on the spec for the Viper is wrong, your KG weight is probably the lb weight....
    Thanks for the head's up. It is sorted!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The car has more in common with the original than the last Viper. They built-in a lot of the styling cue from the original GTS in all the view but the front.....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Viper interior is much improved...but the outside...well...is one for the Viper purists I suppose. Warmed up leftovers.

I am happy though they are going to race this thing....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Looks pretty decent in race trim.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    The car has more in common with the original than the last Viper. They built-in a lot of the styling cue from the original GTS in all the view but the front.....
    Oh yes, I'm glad they did- the double bubble cockpit, the cross hair grill, side exhausts and ducktail-like rear- all Viper cues.

I do agree the dashboard graphics are cheesy- give me real dials any day. It looks like they were trying too hard to modernize the instrument panel.

But everything looks good, I'm also glad they kept the big V10.

That being said, I do agree it looks slightly more Italian. The rear lights remind me very much of the Maserati Gran Turismo.

I just don't like the headlights, but the overall shape of the car is great; very true to the original. Yeah, I spot Maserati GranTurismo taillights but at the same time I'm thinking they might have taken cues from the new Charger's taillights.
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

Its good to see the Viper back and good they're going racing with it too
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

Thread Information