Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CX-9 For What Car?

Wouldn't getting the CTS bring you back to square one, in terms of size? This is a 5-Series competitor, while the A3 is 2 segments down (competing against the 1 Series). I like the CTS wagon a lot though.
    Mercedes C-Class starts at $34k. I'd consider the Passat wagon or CC too.

I guess the fam is talking about speed now. Mom doesn't think the Passat sedan or wagon are rockets compared to the CX-9. She went to the Audi dealer again today, but fortunately hasn't made a purchase...
    I'm still pushing for the 3-Series (Guibo made a point about the size of the CTS).
    We decided not to settle for a used 3-Series. Might as well go all out with the newest, afterall. I'm still against the A3. The Quattro-less, "Premium" thing is front-wheel drive, something I find unsuitable for where I live.
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

Do you live in a big city or something? I can't imagine any place tight enough up there where a CTS would be too big to fit down the roads. I too would go for the 3 series over it, though.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

3er is a safe choice. Datsun and Cadillac would be more left field, at least here.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Do you live in a big city or something? I can't imagine any place tight enough up there where a CTS would be too big to fit down the roads. I too would go for the 3 series over it, though.
    It's kinda big here. The highways are vast; plenty of road. Its just we have a problem with our two-car garage; 2 cars in 1 garage (with one more car outside in the driveway). The area of the garage is kinda small-ish. The CX-9 was/is a giant space taker in the garage, so this is one of the main reasons why we're making the transformation from large-sized crossover SUV, to mid-size sedan (3-Series)--so that we could get some damn elbow room.
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

A built A3 is 32k? That is absurd. A base G37 starts at 33k.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Mini Coopers get expensive really fast too.

With german cars you've got to be careful with options.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This. The A3 doesn't even have Quattro AWD fitted in this price. An A3 built w/ AWD is another $2,000-$3,000 tacked on and I don't really know much nor care about the S-tronic that they praise to us about. Can somebody remind me of how great these features are?
    I don't even want to go their website again...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    With german cars you've got to be careful with options.
    QFT. A BMW 328i Sedan's base price alone (no options) is $33,150. As you go up the builds of the car, with the 335d Sedan being the most expensive, your well on your way over $40,000 w/ no options. Where I'm at, you can strike a pretty good deal on used BMWs. But would you pay for a used 2007 3-Series? Are used BMWs reliable?
    Last edited by PRC777; 04-04-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PRC777 View Post
    This. The A3 doesn't even have Quattro AWD fitted in this price. An A3 built w/ AWD is another $2,000-$3,000 tacked on and I don't really know much nor care about the S-tronic that they praise to us about. Can somebody remind me of how great these features are?

QFT. A BMW 328i Sedan's base price alone (no options) is $33,150. As you go up the builds of the car, with the 335d Sedan being the most expensive, your well on your way over $40,000 w/ no options. Where I'm at, you can strike a pretty good deal on used BMWs. But would you pay for a used 2007 3-Series? Are used BMWs reliable?
    Why not though? Especially with American cars, you'd be stupid to buy new. The depreciation rate is so quick, it's better to buy used. Only issue is finding a good one that's been broken in properly and hasn't been thrashed as well as not being in an accident/fixed before and a clean interior. But if you have time, why not?

Exceptions- you really really want the car and it's a GT-R, Evolution or STI. You might as well buy new with those, it's really damn hard to get an unmolested one.

By the way, my recommendations would be pretty much the same as those of the other members- Infiniti G37, 3 Series, and Lexus IS. Maybe Audi too, or a TL. TL I wouldn't go for just because it's so damn ugly. But the rest of it is okay.

Are used BMWs reliable?
    depends on how they've been treated?
    i'm never buying brand new ever. all those fancy options mean jack shit as soon as it's back on the market..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

If you're worried, most companies offer a certified pre-owned (CPO) version, you could always look into that. Most of the cars my families gotten have been a year old. The only car we've regretted was the one my aunt bought brand new, just because depreciation was so huge for minimal useage. Unless it's impossible to get unmollested (which isn't generally the case for this type of car) there's not a ton of reason to go new.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Where I'm at, you can strike a pretty good deal on used BMWs. But would you pay for a used 2007 3-Series? Are used BMWs reliable?
    If I liked it, yes I would pay for a used one. I sure wouldn't pay for a new one. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.
    They tend to be pretty reliable. If there are problems, they are usually minor electrical things. The major components are usually robust.
    BMW CPO warranty covers it to 6 years, 100k miles. Some of the cars they approve are meticulously maintained by their owners, with full records, dealer stamped service sheets, and all that. There are CPO 325xi's out there for $22k with less than 50k miles, which BMW's can do with ease. Lower-mileage ones, like 25k miles, are out there in the $28k range. These aren't strippers either. They're decently optioned with heated leather seats, steering wheel controls for stereo and HVAC, wood trim, etc.

Is this one too old for her? It's about 3 inches narrower than the later generation.

(^Alpina B3 not officially available in US, I know.)

Forget about the Audi. Do you really fancy one? Get a 5-door Golf GTI. It's the same car for less. And four wheel drive is completely useless, as is the S-Tronic thing, except if you can't handle a third pedal.

We bought the XF used, 1 year and 12,000km, from an official dealer and it's been so far faultless.
    Visca Catalunya!

If all goes well, we could be looking at the used 2007 3-Series. I brought you guys a link.
    It's the website for my BMW dealer:BMW of Anchorage in Anchorage Alaska | BMW Cars, BMW SUVs & BMW Service for Anchorage, Eagle River, Palmer, Wasilla, Fort Richardson and Girdwood Alaska

Thread Information