Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather have a Hot Rod or a Tuner?

Tuners for me. For some reason all hot rods look the same to me, i couldn't tell a Ford from a Chevy or even early Dodge coupe. With tuners you get to choose not only from Japan but also Europe and some American models to tune up. Variety is the spice of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    And you're just like the pot calling the kettle black.

Believe me when I say it, their are SOME impressive tuners out their, that dominate on the tracks, and sometimes the street. But you can't build a proper tuner on a shoestring budget like you could a hot rod.
    I fail to see where I've been a hypocrite -

You've made sweeping comments about a scene obviously not to your taste - I have not.

You've seemingly done little research into the cost and abilities of most imports (Or are all "imports" 4 cylinders?).

Yes you can build a rocket out of a V8, Wont deny. But from a 4 or 6 engine they're not as costly as you are saying.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

roads have corners

& bumps

hot rods are good for looking at tho

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    These "misconceptions" are not unfounded in truth. With all the computer chips, turbos, and specialized parts needed to get serious power, out of a 4 pot as per my OP, requires serious money. While to get serious power out of even a fairly common Chevy small block requires a fraction of the money.
    a JZ series engine comes with 300hp, and will see 400hp for little money spent.. and 800hp before the internals need to be strengthened.
    any import 'performance' engine with $30k thrown into it is going to have more than 300hp with sensible mods..
    hot rods are nice for show, imports for go
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    Me too! We should totally hang out.
    I lawl'd.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Tuner

i would have to say tuner. Im a big fan of both but when you take a car like the Supra and tune it you get a total piece of art. Cars like that can produce upwards of 1000 hp. But so do muscle cars. Muscle cars are meant more for drag racing and tuners for track days and races.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Old school homebuilt hot rod for me. Thank you! And not necessarily with a bent eight either...a good straight eight or straight six would be my first picks, and even Ford's old 4-banger sounds pretty good, though fast it will never be. Or go more exotic with a Lincoln or Jaguar V12. That's how I like a car - visceral, unique, and basic.

Tuners...well, just not my thing. Too new, plastic interiors, computerized motors...and if you do it tastefully (ie not a rice-out), then frankly the thing would have no personality whatsoever. Exception? A VW TDi or a Volvo 240 wagon with B230ft (turbo motor) otherwise, I'd be ok with some old Honda or something (Civic VX?) to putt around in, but that's about it.
    Last edited by jcp123; 01-12-2011 at 01:48 AM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Of the two, I'd have a Rod. It fits in to my personality. Big hard lump of muscle. But tuners usually have the performance advantage on the road.
    I am the most humble person in the world and no one is going to tell me otherwise.

Would you rather have a Hot Rod or a Tuner?

I like 2jz driftr
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by KillKevsCorsas View Post
    Of the two, I'd have a Rod. It fits in to my personality. Big hard lump of muscle. But tuners usually have the performance advantage on the road.
    I question what that personality is you speak of .

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    I question what that personality is you speak of .
    im his friend, he is very strong and bulkey, that why he said he's like a big V8
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    im his friend, he is very strong and bulkey, that why he said he's like a big V8
    Its okay , you missed the joke.

Gotta live with it every day? Gimme a tuner with adjustable VTEC and turbo, as I can get 30mpg or well over 350-400hp depending on my mood and destination.
    As a second/third/etc. car? Gimme the Moal Torpedo. Hot rod with 1930's Alfa good looks, 1990's Ferrari 550 Maranello power, modern handling capabilities, and more originallity than you're likely to see in either category.
    I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas, I want him to **** his pants! - il Commendatore

Quote Originally Posted by jrgitar View Post
    As a second/third/etc. car? Gimme the Moal Torpedo. Hot rod with 1930's Alfa good looks, 1990's Ferrari 550 Maranello power, modern handling capabilities, and more originallity than you're likely to see in either category.
    Thats lovely. I'd rather have the Rex Burnett Classic Deucari instead..... Classic ferrari v12 power trumps a modern motor in my opinion.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information