Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Station Wagons -- Best of 1960s!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Probably the Volkswagen Type 3 Variant.
    Thanks.

And another question- judging from the advertisement, it said it had 170 cubic feet of storage space- is that an overstatement?

A Honda Odyssey is probably a way larger car, but even that only has 61.5 cubic feet of cargo capacity.

Source- Best in cargo capacity fuel economy: Fuel economy, cargo, haul

Quote Originally Posted by NorTex View Post
    NSX,

I don't recall an "actual" VW wagon, unless it was a squareback...It's been many years since I've even looked at a car mag or been in the hobby. This thread was started as tongue in cheek, by the way. I love VW bugs, regardless what others may think about 'em. Lots of good jokes too! But like Fleet says, "just pull into a parking lot and people will notice it and gather around, unlike a parking lot full of Acuras and Hondas!
    Hmm, like you said, there's confusion with the naming.

Actually, you're right, Hondas lately have been quite boring. The Civic isn't all that great anymore, the Accord needs a new variant soon, and pretty much all the Acuras look pretty bad.

About the Fiat- here's a shot of probably an American bumper.

That reminds me, I need to put up the rest of my shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 11-12-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Thanks.

And another question- judging from the advertisement, it said it had 170 cubic feet of storage space- is that an overstatement?

A Honda Odyssey is probably a way larger car, but even that only has 61.5 cubic feet of cargo capacity.

Well, much like a Porsche Cayman it had boots in the back and in the front, but yes 170 cubic feet sound like a lot. Unless they counted the folded rear seats.

Or something.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

it said it had 170 cubic feet of storage space- is that an overstatement?
    It was that that made me think they were meaning the VW bus.
    Actually reading it again it says seat 9, so HAS to be one of the bus variants ?
    The Type 3 dimensions are
    Luggage Front compartment 6.5 cu ft
    Rear compartment Variant (Squareback) 24.7 cu ft 42.4 cu ft (back seat folded)
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

But then it's not an estate car, more like a van...
    Visca Catalunya!

That is logical Ferrer, but this was marketing and sure enough the US *DID* call it a "station wagon"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Unless of course back then they considered every last bit of room inside as cargo space.

You know, something like how horsepower was measured differently back then.

Thanks.

Hmm, like you said, there's confusion with the naming.

Actually, you're right, Hondas lately have been quite boring. The Civic isn't all that great anymore, the Accord needs a new variant soon, and pretty much all the Acuras look pretty bad.

About the Fiat- here's a shot of probably an American bumper.

That reminds me, I need to put up the rest of my shots.
    Nice! Back in the late 70's and early '80s I had an Uncle (by marriage) who built racing Hondas in Austin,Texas. I couldn't believe how fast he made them! My entire family ended up with Hondas as well, all Accords and Civics. And we had the license plates of "Ichban," "GoBan" "Yoban" etc!

I really miss my Mom's '79 Accord (hatchback). Peppy car and fun to ride in. I just wish I had the pictures to scan and upload here. I'd have to visit Momma's house and find 'em!
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-13-2011 at 09:25 AM.
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    It was that that made me think they were meaning the VW bus.
    Actually reading it again it says seat 9, so HAS to be one of the bus variants ?
    The Type 3 dimensions are
    Luggage Front compartment 6.5 cu ft
    Rear compartment Variant (Squareback) 24.7 cu ft 42.4 cu ft (back seat folded)
    Um, I thought the advertisment was a "Photoshop" joke to begin with? Wow, if it was actually real then that is some crazy advertising!
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    That is logical Ferrer, but this was marketing and sure enough the US *DID* call it a "station wagon"
    LOL....Great find! Station Wagons were some of the ugliest cars America ever produced! Let's put some imitation wood siding on that car!

Quote Originally Posted by NorTex View Post
    LOL....Great find! Station Wagons were some of the ugliest cars America ever produced! Let's put some imitation wood siding on that car!
    Chevrolet Nomad - Ultimatecarpage.com forums
    Visca Catalunya!

There is definitely room for exceptions! When I say, "station wagons are some of the ugliest," I mean like the Brady Bunch wagon and Ford Squires and not that beautiful '57 Nomad you linked!....My fault for talking in generalizations.

In the 1990s I rebuilt and sold cars for a living. I picked up a 1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon with 80k miles for 500 bucks, replaced the "carb" (mind is murky this morning and not sure if it was tbi/tpi) and gave it to my brother. Again, it wasn't a pretty car! (My rebuilder was blue, however!) ----> Image Detail for - http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqMOKkUE3t)tQJ+ZBOD1!df+ig~~_12.JPG
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-13-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Well, stylish state cars are a recent phenomenon even in estate-loving Europe. They were arguably popularised by Audi from the mid to late 90's and from them on they caught on with other manufacturers simply because people liked them and were buying them.

But the brick on wheels, Volvo-style, estate car is not something I'd call stylish... so it's not only America!
    Visca Catalunya!

Well, stylish state cars are a recent phenomenon even in estate-loving Europe. They were arguably popularised by Audi from the mid to late 90's and from them on they caught on with other manufacturers simply because people liked them and were buying them.

But the brick on wheels, Volvo-style, estate car is not something I'd call stylish... so it's not only America!
    Volvo wagons are so huge with the "hipster" movement in America! Even alt-rocker Kurt Cobain owned one! If I recall they are some of the safest cars to drive based on crash-tests!

Years ago I was at an auto dealership and wondered when Volvo would "update" their styling too, to match emerging "rounding" trends instead of looking like a shoebox!...Nonetheless, I have weird tastes and kinda liked 'em! LOL

Good Lord! I just checked on '79 Honda Accord specs...Mommas car put out a whopping 72 horses!

Ferrer, I just noticed Honda made a limousine model! LOL....Yet that site lists the engine at 68 horses for a stock accord! --

1979 Honda Accord 1gen SM Saloon-Sedan performance data, specs photo

Sorry for going a little off-topic and hijacking my own thread. I just want to talk! It's been awhile since I've been in good company and people who like to talk cars!
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-13-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Did you know that in Germany Limousine means saloon car? So that Accord Limousine was just a standard saloon, nothing to be afraid of!
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information