Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda and Fiat to jointly develop a new RWD sports car

Mazda and Fiat to jointly develop a new RWD sports car

Press release:

Fiat Group Automobiles S.p.A. (Fiat) and Mazda Motor Corporation (Mazda) have signed a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the development and manufacturing of a new roadster for the Mazda and Alfa Romeo marques based on Mazda’s next-generation MX-5 rear-wheel-drive architecture.

The study calls for both Fiat and Mazda to develop two differentiated, distinctly styled, iconic and brand-specific light weight, roadsters featuring rear-wheel drive. The Alfa Romeo and Mazda variants will each be powered by specific proprietary engines unique to each brand.

The project assumption is that both vehicles will be manufactured at Mazda’s Hiroshima, Japan, plant with production for Alfa Romeo envisaged starting in 2015.

“Establishing technology and product development alliances is one of Mazda’s corporate objectives and this announcement with Fiat is an important first step in that direction. It is especially exciting to be collaborating with such a prestigious marque as Alfa Romeo on a new roadster based on the next-generation MX-5, which is such an iconic vehicle for Mazda and recognized as the best-selling roadster of all time.” said Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda's Representative Director and Chairman of the Board, President and CEO.

“This agreement clearly demonstrates our commitment to Alfa Romeo and the determination to grow it into a truly global brand. By partnering with Mazda, we will be co-operating with the recognized leader in compact rear-drive vehicle architectures in order to deliver an exciting and stylish roadster in the Alfa Romeo tradition. We are appreciative of this collaboration with Mazda and look forward to maintaining a fruitful and continuous relationship.” said Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne.

The Final Agreement is expected be signed in the second-half of 2012.

Fiat and Mazda have also agreed to discuss further opportunities for co-operation in Europe.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Very interesting. I suppose Alfa's version will be called Spider, and quite possibly a part of their return to North America.

"The Alfa Romeo and Mazda variants will each be powered by specific proprietary engines unique to each brand."
    So the Mazda will be the "driver" and the Alfa will be more of a "static" display version.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Superb! This is the best news out of Alfa in years.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    "The Alfa Romeo and Mazda variants will each be powered by specific proprietary engines unique to each brand."
    So the Mazda will be the "driver" and the Alfa will be more of a "static" display version.
    Rotary MX-5?

That'd be pretty cool.

would be. Maybe electric with rotary ?
    Not sure I care if Renault really go ahead with the Alpine !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The single best automotive news of the century (so far) and only 6 posts?

You did really need me back, dind't you?

Probably.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

If it helps Mazda stay alive I'm all for it...otherwise I couldn't care less about a Fiata.

I think it could go extremely well...

Alfa is determinately getting the longer end of the stick; the gets something their brand has desperately need for ages now though I guess if Fiat money (har har) keeps Mazda afloat they aren't losing out on the deal.
    I do worry that it will just be a Miata with Mazda crossed out and few four-leafed clovers and some red paint slapped on. [artist's rendition below]
    If Mazda lightens the chassis and Alfa makes their own body and engine and tunes their own suspension then I think the car could fairly be called an Alfa Romeo.
    If that does happen it could cannibalize Mazda sales and I wouldn't want the Miata's future to be in jeopardy.

... also, I rode in a GTV6 last weekend. It was hilarious! Alfa definitely needs to come back to the States and start making rear-drivers again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I hope the artist's rendition is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I think it could go extremely well...

Alfa is determinately getting the longer end of the stick; the gets something their brand has desperately need for ages now though I guess if Fiat money (har har) keeps Mazda afloat they aren't losing out on the deal.
    I do worry that it will just be a Miata with Mazda crossed out and few four-leafed clovers and some red paint slapped on. [artist's rendition below]
    If Mazda lightens the chassis and Alfa makes their own body and engine and tunes their own suspension then I think the car could fairly be called an Alfa Romeo.
    If that does happen it could cannibalize Mazda sales and I wouldn't want the Miata's future to be in jeopardy.

... also, I rode in a GTV6 last weekend. It was hilarious! Alfa definitely needs to come back to the States and start making rear-drivers again.
    That's the thing. They share what matters (superb rear drive chasis) and then they get completely different drivetrains and bodies. So instead of a straight rebadge, you'll get two very different cars that however manage to cost-share the important parts between two large industrial groups. At least that's the theory.

An MX-5 with Alfa Romeo DNA? I think I just found my next car.

However, they could just fit it with one of those silly turbo engines, the Spider. That'd be a preposterous idea.

Now imagine an MX-5 with this styling and some proper enignes. I'm definitely sold.
    Visca Catalunya!

So Mazda and Fiat came to a Toyota-Subaru joint development pact? Good for them, I hope it works, it could be god for both brands if it works out.

Took the words right out of my mouth, Toyota-Subaru came to mind when I read Wouter's post.

Looking forward to this alfa-mazda production.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    So Mazda and Fiat came to a Toyota-Subaru joint development pact? Good for them, I hope it works, it could be god for both brands if it works out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth, Toyota-Subaru came to mind when I read Wouter's post.

Looking forward to this alfa-mazda production.
    Except that in this case one of the cars' development is much more advanvced and while go on sale shortly and much earlier than the other, and that unlike the Toyobaru the cars will be different (different engines and styling).
    Visca Catalunya!

Bad news.

Alfa Romeos version of Mazda MX-5 Miata to be costlier, offer own engines

If the MX-5 currently costs from 25-30ish grand and it will probably go slitghly up, that means the Spider will cost at least 35-40 grand for the base version...

That puts it straight into Z4 and SLK territory. Dangerous company, certainly.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information