Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: whats the smallest american V8?

Thanks for clearing that up

do you have a reason for wanting to know this, or do you just want to?
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

The Smart Roadster B-Turbo is two regular smart engines put together to make a 1.4L V6 Bi-Turbo!

biggest engine i've seen in a car was a 27L V12 in a 57 chevy with 4000hp. the engine was out of a old fighter plane (i think the plane was a mustang ie like the ones in pearl harbour the movie)

and the smallest production V8 i know of is a rover/mg at 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by eyebrows
    and the smallest production V8 i know of is a rover/mg at 2.5L
    Daimler also had 2.5 litre V8, furthermore there was the Fiat Otto-Vu. 1990 cc, but there must be smaller ones, just remember the 1957 V8 500 cc Moto Guzzi GP engine. (not production though )

Well, technically there were no Mustangs at Pearl Harbor..it didn't come out till a few years after that...but that's neither here nor there. If it was a P-51 Mustang engine in that Chevy, that's pretty amazing. The Rolls-Royce Merlin engines in the Mustangs only made about 2200 hp, and there were already supercharged, but I suppose it might possible with upgraded technology to get one up in the 4000 range.

the car was at summernats (an aussie car show) and i saw it in a mag with its shell off and the engine went throught the fire wall and into the front seat ... i'll try and get a photo of it to show u and the engeniring that went into it was pritty amazing because the fire wall was taken out they had to move everything around and chop and change things but the end result was pritty good. (just a warning the photo will be shit cos its out of an old magazine)

i know the car your talking about and whenever i think about it, i can never get the facts straight. i usually think its a 57 chev with the mustang engine, but its a 55 model something with the merlin engine im pretty sure, that is if its the car im thinking of which has been painted to look like theres pot-rivets all over the body.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    Wow. Well, a 6.6L V-8 isn't that amazing, that's only about 403 cubic inches, so there's lots of V8's bigger than that. But a 5.0 V6 or 3.3 I4, that would be weird. The biggest 4-banger I ever heard of was the 3.0 they used to put in the Porsche 944. That's about as weird as the 1.6L V6 that Mazda used in the MX-3.
    Way back in the early 1900's Daimler or Mercedes had a 16 liter 4 cylinder. As for small V6's, Honda and others produced 1.5 Liter twin-turbocharged V6's in the '80s for F1 use.
    Last edited by Ferrari Tifosi; 04-11-2004 at 09:51 AM.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Tifosi
    Way back in the early 1900's Daimler or Mercedes had a 16 liter 4 cylinder. As for small V6's, Honda and others produced 1.5 Liter twin-turbocharged V6's in the '80s for F1 use.
    During that period Alfa Romeo even tried a 1.5 V8 Turbo, with little success.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    i know the car your talking about and whenever i think about it, i can never get the facts straight. i usually think its a 57 chev with the mustang engine, but its a 55 model something with the merlin engine im pretty sure, that is if its the car im thinking of which has been painted to look like theres pot-rivets all over the body.
    Rod Hadfeilds final objective...the carjay lenno is intrested in buying... 55 with a merlin engine based of the mustang engine....the car running 4 aussie desert coller built radiators and is direct drive and is limeted in the hours it drives on the street because of mechanical noise...i saw the car at the nats and me and my father had a closer look both shrugged and walked off....good dealof engiering but...meh

i always get mixed up with what it really is........im surprised its actually street legal, the engineers certificate must be a couple of hundred pages long
    I am the Stig

Well rod hadfield is the owner of castelmain rod shop (which incidently is for sale for those whohave a spare $750,000 lieing around) which no doubt wouldhavean engierrs athand hand and not to mention all the machiners and custom parts a person could want...but there are also restirctions on the car the biggest of which is the limited time it can be driven...that said it also gets trailerd around most of the place....the operative word is it CAN be street drivan not is.

1999 ford taurus SHO is a YAMAHA Built 235 horsepower 3.4 L DOHC V-8. Not a 3.8L!

Ford had a 221 ci flathead V8 which I'm pretty sure converts to about 3.6 Liter. It had up to 95 HP and I think last year in a car was 1942.
    Last edited by StorM; 11-10-2004 at 11:28 AM.

Thread Information