Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Aurion Release - first drive and prices.

Toyota Aurion Release - first drive and prices.

Just found the first reviews and pricing for the new Toyota Aurion. http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2112878.aspx.

Nothing new in the styling. But the pricing is as sharp as was feared; $34,990 for the base model with a 200kW 3.5 litre V6; six speed auto as standard; full safety kit of dual airbags, curtain airbags & side airbags and stability control (I assume they mean ESP); and the usual air cond, electric seats, cruise, remote locking.
    Have to say it - that pricing is very competitive against the VE Omega with only a 4-speed auto and fewer airbags. In fact - it kills the VE Omega on pricing and fleets will be looking very, very closely at it.
    The report sounds positive on the car's handling and ride and refinement levels. But the big selling point - the six speed auto - isn't particularly liked by the reviewers. And they note - as many have pointed out in the forums already - that the engine needs to be revved hard to perform. That said, the engine sounds like its plenty smooth and refined. Just doesn't have the instant low down torque of say a Falcon.
    The review is pretty average. I'll wait for Wheels to put it to the test in the next issue. Have to say - it looks like the VE/Aurion match (settle guys - at the base levels, not compared to the SS...) will be damned close. And it also looks like the Aurion - like the VE - may not quite match the hype. And its auto transmissions in both cases that seem to be the weak point.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 10-18-2006 at 07:05 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

I'm probably one of the very few that thought the Camry looked alright. Aurion looks good. But still can they come half way too falcon and commodore? This is there best effort it's a shock too see something bad about it like the transmission and no low down zip, They say that is a touch of the problem with the V6 commodore but last i seen it did a 6.8 0-100 time I'll have some of that please.
    With Aurion engine tranny combo being in all models you have too wonder can they move into the ring with the SV6 XR6?... I'm sure base they will give them some curry.
    I wouldn't be surprised if in the real world the Aurion finds it hard too match that 9.9lt/100 claim.

I got a VE Calais booked for December for the weekend doing over 1000km in it, I'm going too see how good it goes on fuel and take some notes. Take before and after pics of trip computer fuel read outs. But i was told the VE Calais isn't here yet and when the time comes they might only have a VZ Calais I'll go off tap, And end up taking a omega.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Did anyone else find the model naming amusing zr6 and sx6. Is like they merged the naming of the xr6 with vz not very original or inovative. Surely they could have come up with a more toyota like name.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    Did anyone else find the model naming amusing zr6 and sx6. Is like they merged the naming of the xr6 with vz not very original or inovative. Surely they could have come up with a more toyota like name.
    Can't Ford appeal to that? ZR6 is way too similiar to XR6. It's so obvious and it's going to confuse customers. It's things like this that make me hate toyota.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

If they wanted it to sound aussie they should just called it the new toyota falcadore how more aussie can you get than that:P

but seriously why can't toyota just stick with one name instead of changing it every 5 yrs.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

well they were hardly going to reuse avalon given the flop that was...
    The Datto will rage again...

In fact, SX6 is an Adventra model
    http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...y?vehicleid=22

The naming in general sucks. Prodigy and Presara don't sound as Aussie as Toyota would hope.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Doesn't holden use that SX6 ? Adventra?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx
    In fact, SX6 is an Adventra model
    http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...y?vehicleid=22

The naming in general sucks. Prodigy and Presara don't sound as Aussie as Toyota would hope.
    That is what i was just asking

The names are pretty dodgy, but the package still looks pretty good. I'll be surprised if fleets look at VE's at all really, ive heard with Holdens new fleet pricing, the Omega is more than an XR6.

It should give VE and a few others a good run for Wheels COTY (the only one that matters)
    I am the Stig

It might even win it........ But i got money on the Statesman/Caprice if it's in? I seen one and got into it and it felt better then the VE the way it was stuck together was even better it was like they had too ad that little extra effort too getting it right.

The LWB's should be in as a seperate range actually. Theyve put the Monaro in by itself when it was launched, and last year i think a Lancer EVO was in.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    This is there best effort it's a shock too see something bad about it like the transmission and no low down zip, They say that is a touch of the problem with the V6 commodore but last i seen it did a 6.8 0-100 time I'll have some of that please.
    With Aurion engine tranny combo being in all models you have too wonder can they move into the ring with the SV6 XR6?... I'm sure base they will give them some curry.
    I wouldn't be surprised if in the real world the Aurion finds it hard too match that 9.9lt/100 claim.
    The lack of low down zip might not hurt the 0-100 times. Plenty of cars with poor low down torque can still put in the numbers.
    In fact, I'm not sure that needing to rev the engine is a real criticism - just a preference for how the power is delivered. I remember back in the 80s/90s the Aussie motoring journos complained that the Falcon and Commodore had plenty of low down grunt but wouldn't rev out. Now the same journos complain about engines that need to be revved. Can't win.
    But the tranny's on both the Aurion and the VE Omega sound disappointing. In fact I've some read criticism of the six-speed auto in the Commodores as well. The Ford six-speed trans sound like they've got both Toyota and Holden covered.
    Based on what I've seen and read so far, neither the Aurion or the Commodore present a strong case for the Wheels Car of the Year - primarily due to the failure of the transmission to deliver the necessary goods.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Commodore present a strong case for the Wheels Car of the Year - primarily due to the failure of the transmission to deliver the necessary goods.
    The BA, RX-8 and Territory all had fuel consumption going against them though.
    I am the Stig

How hard can it be to get a decent transmission these days?
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Thread Information