Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Performance V6 vs. V8

Performance V6 vs. V8

Hey, members. I saw the the 2008 Mitsu. Lancer in the Juice 2 video game commercial. I did some research and It's said to have 320 hp; isn't that a pretty good amount of horsepower to start with? because the 2005 Mustang Gt 4.6L V8 has 300 hp. I just mentioned these two cars as an example, but the big picture is all cars that you think is power worthy. I've always loved the look of foreign cars since Fast and the Furious but I was always afraid of losing out on power. What the difference bewteen cars with V8s and V6 cars with added performance parts to boost horsepower? Can a V6 with peformance parts be the same as a V8?
    Last edited by rgibbs205; 09-24-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rgibbs205 View Post
    Hey, members. I saw the the 2008 Mitsu. Lancer in the Juice 2 video game commercial. I did some research and It's said to have 320 hp; isn't that a pretty good amount of horsepower to start with? because the 2005 Mustang Gt 4.6L V8 has 300 hp. I just mentioned these two cars as an example, but the big picture is all cars that you think is power worthy. I've always loved the look of foreign cars since Fast and the Furious but I was always afraid of losing out on power. What the difference bewteen cars with V8s and V6 cars with added performance parts to boost horsepower? Can a V6 with peformance parts be the same as a V8?
    Hmm choosing a V6 or V8 depends on cylinder size and its effect on mechanical efficiency and balance. But i feel if you are interested in engine comparisons like this you will need to learn more to underdtand the coplexity of what you ask.

The design approach to the two engines you speak of are very different. I mean if you want good V8 and V6 comparisons look at the current mecedes petrol V6 and V8 since the come of same production line, similarly with audi too.

Also remember horsepower comes from torque (capacity or forced induction) and operating speed (revs)....i hope others can be more useful in answering your question.
    autozine.org

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I'm not very tech savvy, and I'm probably either completely wrong or missing out on tons of nuances, but I'd say in general V8 engines will have more torque, meaning your peak HPs will be spread out over a wider range, whereas a V6 will have a narrower power band. Meaning more gear shifts to maintain peak HP and less lower-end acceleration.

For instance, on the far ends, you have a Honda S2000. It's a small engine, but it's 230hp. They acheive this through a very narrow high revving power band. It only has 162 ft lbs of torque. That means it has slow off the line acceleration and has to shift a lot to keep the revvs up to use that narrow band of power.

On the other hand, my old Ford Thunderbird only has 205hp, but its V8 puts out 280 ft lbs of torque. This means very high low end acceleration and a much wider powerband.
    Last edited by digitalcraft; 09-24-2007 at 11:39 AM.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

The Lancer Evolution doesn't have a V configuration of cylinders. Nor does it have 6 cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post

For instance, on the far ends, you have a Honda S2000. It's a small engine, but it's 230hp. They acheive this through a very narrow high revving power band. It only has 162 ft lbs of torque. That means it has slow off the line acceleration and has to shift a lot to keep the revvs up to use that narrow band of power.
    This is a 4 cylinder.

A good powered V6 would be the new 3.7 Nissan engines (G37?)

Thanks guys. You have enlightened me, and given me new ideas to explore in dealing with horsepower. The site is the best. Like I said before; Real People with Real Answers.

Their are also different setups for the 6-8 cylinder comparo but since you you limited it to a V configuration, I will leave it out. Is their any specific application your planning to use either a v6-v8 for? That might help us answer questions. Focused questions will give you straight answers.

Without the right question, you end up with answers like 42.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by rgibbs205 View Post
    Thanks guys. You have enlightened me, and given me new ideas to explore in dealing with horsepower. The site is the best. Like I said before; Real People with Real Answers.
    i am glad we are useful, but remember to challenge what you read and don't believe everyone in forums.
    autozine.org

i prefer a good old V8 even a small one. something about them although i don't mind a nice V6 like the VQ. but then again nothing beats a smooth BMW I6
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

The VQ37VHR is a 3.7 L (3696 cc) engine with a higher compression ratio (11.0:1) than the VQ35HR. It is rated at 330 hp (246 kW) and 270 ft·lbf (366 Nm). Bore is 95.5 mm with 86 mm stroke. Although the engine only gains 2 ft·lbf of torque at peak, the torque curve itself is improved and flattened all around by as much as 15%. Redline remains 7500 rpm. It marks the first use of Nissan's VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift) system on a production vehicle.
    Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    The Lancer Evolution doesn't have a V configuration of cylinders. Nor does it have 6 cylinders.
    He talked about a Mustang too, but after reading what he posted, I don't quite understand the question. It would help if he cleared up his question a bit.

What the difference bewteen cars with V8s and V6 cars with added performance parts to boost horsepower? Can a V6 with peformance parts be the same as a V8?
    Pretty straight forward, I would say the answer is yes, they can be equal when modified.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Pretty straight forward, I would say the answer is yes, they can be equal when modified.
    If equal you mean equal horsepower, then yes either one can be modified to have higher performance, to a degree. However, if your saying their equal along the powerband or can be made identical, then I would say that it is difficult at best. Due to the differences of mechanics in the engine, (amount of cylinders, weight, length of crankshaft) a v6 and a v8 will likely deliver more or less power at various rpm's.

The large majority of American v8's come with overhead valve pushrod engines. Whats funny is that the v6's with non overhead cam's are suprisingly expensive, near that of the v8. If you go oversea's and pick up a v6 with an overhead cam, you are looking to pay more than the American counterpart, suprised? Didnt think so.

I dont know of the differences between a disel v6 and a v8. Someone care to enlighten me?
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

i think it's lotus that said a V6 is pointless in a real sportscar? because you can use a tuned/turbo 4 cylinder, or a small V8 instead as they offer more advantages, or something. i think i read it in top gear though, so...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thanks, Members. I'll be sure to challenge what i read. I basically was asking about power and being fast. Really fast! Can a V6 somewhere between 270-320 HP (with added parts if neccessary) create that "UMPH" when you get down on the gas pedal. People say a car around 300 HP is getting into some serious speed. Well, the picture is that there are some V6 engines that are near V8 horsepower (stock) and some V6 engines with more horsepower than a V8 car (stock). EX. 2008 Mitsu. Lancer (320 HP) and 2005 Ford Mustang GT (300 HP) Doesn't this mean the 2008 Lancer is more powerful than this 2005 Mustang GT?

Thread Information