Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 / 2011 Formula 1 Silly Season

Well, both have a V8...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Yeha like an F1 car was ever going to be confused with a truck

The problem is advertising, Ferrari can make all their merchandise or whatever with F150 on it, and that does go to the general public and stuff, even if they don't actually sell the F1 car.

And also some people are talking about legal precedence, if Ford does not bark on this issue they might not be able to in the future if something more relevant comes up...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

This seems to be as good a place as any for this article and I did a quick search and didn't find anything discussing it, but how about the opening race of the season being in jeopardy because of the protests happening? The Asia GP2 race was canceled and now it looks like the last F1 tests of the season won't happen and the race could even be canceled.

Article: Decision on Bahrain Grand Prix next week - Bernie Ecclestone | Bahrain Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

Thoughts?

Well Bernie is paying the price for shifting the races to the oil-rich middle east.....

Granted he never probably could have anticipated something like this will go down so fast, you know the danger is probably always there....F1 is just part of the things being affected by the new found awareness of the people in the middle east, I am far more intrigued by what ultimately will happen...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Well Bernie is paying the price for shifting the races to the oil-rich middle east.....

Granted he never probably could have anticipated something like this will go down so fast, you know the danger is probably always there....F1 is just part of the things being affected by the new found awareness of the people in the middle east, I am far more intrigued by what ultimately will happen...
    Yeah I think it is really interesting to see what will happen in these countries that have had royal rule for so long now and think that they treat their people so well but now the people are stepping up and saying we want better.

And hopefully, in some cases, the result of these protests and government changes will demonstrate to the ignorant Westerns that Arabs, Middle-Easterners and/or Muslims are not all radicals and terrorists, they are tolerant people who want the same democratic rights we have.

^^^ sadly they'll likely GET "democracy" and find out that the freedom western democracy gives means the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and they'll wish for they're kingdoms back and it will not be allowed by the newly created cash rich

Many centuries philosopher's have identified that benign dictatorship is actually best
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Yeah I was kind of surprised by some of the protests, these rulers aren't necessairly all bad, like old school dictators or a kleptocracy. These guys usually give hand outs to the poor, which is better than turning all the power over to the rich who would rather keep it for them selves.

At the risk of going OT, a lot of the issue right now also stem from the Sunni vs Shia...since I believe(correct me if I am wrong since I am not exactly verse in the intricacy) the former represents the ruling beliefs of a lot of the middle eastern country, but they also persecute the opposition within their kingdom...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

"persecution" happens in the extremes ( Iran ) but not recognisably so in the moderate leadership in the very rich states. BUT it's easy to stir up trouble by suggesting that the leading minority is putting down the silent majority ..... kind of like the poor in the USA.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Its hard to relate though not being put in that situation, since they are essentially bar from practicing whatever their central belief is. Even if they were not actively seeked out and punished.

Personally I don't much believe fully in the actual "poor" being in the position they are in without much choice, that might just be me being socially insensitive....where as religious segregation in those countries are more of a unavoidable problem.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Getting way too far off topic perhaps and we shoudl take it to another thread.
    BUT, if experienced poverty and slum areas then think it's possible to see it's not less "persecution". I've been in the areas in 1st, 2nd and 3rd world countries and it's the same problem.
    Without schools, caring environment for kids, sports facilities, libraries, books, quality teachers and support services poverty is as hard to break out of as religious.

Religious oppression AND poverty ... now that's bad ..... thus Ireland v GP

BUT, back to F1 ..... dont see how Bernie can ask F1 circus to enter an area where ANY dissent is possible given the risks and the high visible targets.

autosport.com - F1 News: Bahrain withdraws opening race

Bahrain is "postponed". The Season opener will now be Australia on the 27th of March.

With the situation in middle east being so fluid, things might even stay chaotic throughout the year....which who knows, we might not even have Abu Dhabi....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    autosport.com - F1 News: Bahrain withdraws opening race

Bahrain is "postponed". The Season opener will now be Australia on the 27th of March.

With the situation in middle east being so fluid, things might even stay chaotic throughout the year....which who knows, we might not even have Abu Dhabi....
    terrible financial blow for Bernie......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I hope they have to cancel 3-4 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I hope they have to cancel 3-4 more.
    in the interest of democracy, or just to annoy Bernie?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information