Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Now, to the main subject. And the answer in my opinion is no. Mainly because their cars are completely different. Infinitis are far too big, heavy, powerful and complicated to be BMWs. They only have one engine choice and only one of their models can be had with manual gearboxes. Their smallest and lightest car is almost as big as a 5 Series and weights 1780kg. That’s more than 100kg more than an M3. And finally, they start for thousands more than the cheapest BMW. Now I’m not saying that they can’t be good sports saloons, just that they are not BMWs. They are something else.
TBH, the G37 is 25 cm longer, 79 kg (1.535 VS 1.616) heavier and 10 kW more powerful than a 335i, while being 2.000 € cheaper. In Italy that is.
Not a bad competitor.
Talking about the M37, it's 45 kg lighter, 10 kW more powerful than a 535i. Same price and length. The automatic transmission is probably adding a few kilograms to the Infiniti, and I honestly believe it isn't really a problem not having a manual in this segment.

So I don't see why I shouldn't consider Infiniti as a strong competitor.

Furthermore, I disagree that BMW has to be erased completely from an enthusiast’s list. It is true that they’ve done several abortions, but so have many other car makers, and if we are honest the car industry has evolved from the olden days.
Which is way many other car makers should be erased completely from an enthusiast's list.

It is also true that M cars are less focused than they used to be. But even so, if you want a reasonably priced, superb handling sports saloons it still is hard to beat a BMW. And anyone that isn’t convinced should drive one.
BMW may still be good cars to drive (some of them), but that isn't enough to make them as appealing as they were about 10 years ago. And since opinions may vary quite a lot, I don't really see why one shouldn't consider other options. Even more considering that 99% of BMW buyers are not going to discover 99% of the cars' capabilities, so for many of them a Jaguar XF, an Infiniti and other cars may be better options, providing just as much pleasure of owning and driving and possibly providing also characteristics more interesting for the average owner on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the average owner also want a brand he can show off about, and Infiniti is not in that position right now, in Europe/Italy at least.

Just read the article on Cameron's link.

This man clearly doesn't understand BMWs. That pretty much invalidates everything else, in my opinion.
Why that?