Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 77.27%
  • No

5 22.73%

Thread: Should GM bring back the F-Car?

Should GM bring back the F-Car?

I wanted to hear your oppinion, should GM bring back the Camaro and the Firedird? I wasn't a great fan of the last generation of these cars, specially the Camaro, I thought was quite...plain looking. But The Z28 SS and RS where a lot of fun (same for the Pontiacs).

How did you feel about them being discontinued? So should they bring them back? If they do, what suggestions would you make to GM? I would love to see the return of the Big Blocks!! I know that won't happen, but it's nice to dream

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

i recken they should bring them back as there a beloved car by most
    .: SDC Evolution :. Web Design www.evolutiondesigns.tk NiSsAn sKyLiNe [G][T][R] TrUe PeRfoMaNcE 1000Hp+ YEAH

i wouldn't mind the camaro's being back, would go back to the old days when mustangs and ccamaros would beat the crap out of each other. its still rumors and some facts about a showroom 2007 camaro.

EDIT: forgot a nice pic, the new 1 should look like this 1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheOne; 07-20-2004 at 02:11 AM.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Not only are Camaro's legendary, they provide incredible bang for buck, and are a incredibly popular vehicle in America!!

I agree, with every comment stated thus far, however both hit rough times in the last years - but the Camero was still the best bang for buck car on the market
    To Some, a rusted out 1989 GMC Suburban* is trash

But to Me, its home

It really depends...

From my point of view, it would be a dandy if they were brought back. You rarely can find a North American that dislikes pony cars.

However, if one looks at why the production of the F-cars was halted, they could see why it would not be a good idea for the company. They cancelled it simply because it was not selling enough. Factors such as rising gas prices, the 4-5 year economic battering, more emphasis on handling, and the Japense invasion have all led to the downfall of the F-cars. From GM's viewpoint, bringing back the F-car now would be a strategic disaster. Most people still have not gotten over the fact that the gas prices will continue to rise. Most people are still screwed by the bear market. Adding insult to injury, the Ford Mustang is hogging all the spotlight.

If GM releases the new F-cars now, it will be a disaster. However, if they can time the re-release of the ponies at the right time it would be fantastic. Also, if the company does produce these ponies, it will be announced before-hand and it will probably be around 2007. This way, people have time to save up money and the anticipation of the release of these cars will allow f-car enthusiasts to crave them even more.

*begins salivating*
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    From my point of view, it would be a dandy if they were brought back. You rarely can find a North American that dislikes pony cars.

However, if one looks at why the production of the F-cars was halted, they could see why it would not be a good idea for the company. They cancelled it simply because it was not selling enough. Factors such as rising gas prices, the 4-5 year economic battering, more emphasis on handling, and the Japense invasion have all led to the downfall of the F-cars. From GM's viewpoint, bringing back the F-car now would be a strategic disaster. Most people still have not gotten over the fact that the gas prices will continue to rise. Most people are still screwed by the bear market. Adding insult to injury, the Ford Mustang is hogging all the spotlight.

If GM releases the new F-cars now, it will be a disaster. However, if they can time the re-release of the ponies at the right time it would be fantastic. Also, if the company does produce these ponies, it will be announced before-hand and it will probably be around 2007. This way, people have time to save up money and the anticipation of the release of these cars will allow f-car enthusiasts to crave them even more.

*begins salivating*
    I dont think gas prices was much of a concern, the Camaro SS gets better gas milage than the mustang GT and Cobra, also every japanese perfomance car on the market.
    Little example
    Camaro SS 18/28
    Mustang SVT Cobra 16/24
    Mitsu EVO 18/26

In my mind, several factors contributed to the demise of the F-car.
    First, they were too expensive. I know that Compared to the Corvette, and Viper, they were cheap, but kids with civics are dropping in turbos, and smoking stock F-Cars.
    Second, they were too big. The way the market is going, kids like smaller cars than they did in the past. Why do you think the Civic, Cavalier, Corolla, and Neon are selling so well? Little cars are more fun to drive, they are more nimble, easier to park, and are generally more responsive.
    Third, they were brutal and impractical. Forget about driving one in the winter, the rear seats were small, they got poor gas mileage, and the suspension was rough.

If GM wanted to bring back their ponycars, they would have to change a few things in order for them to be successful. They would have to scale them down dramatically. Kids love rear wheel drive, so they would have to keep that aspect of the f-car alive, and a more refined v6 might be better than the old 350. I think they should keep it normally-aspirated for reliability's sake, but a smaller v8 in a smaller, lighter car would equal the same performance of the old f-car. I think a lighter car, with rwd, and a smaller engine would result in a lower MSRP. Maybe something based off the current Solstice architecture?
    Life begins @ 200 MPH
    There's no replacement for displacement.

Hi HemiCuda500,

I agree with most of what you said. The F-cars did get too big, but the small back seat, they always had that and it was never a problem before, the Mustang has the same small back seat and it hasn't hurt it's sales (the cuda had them too )

Also, replacing the 350 with a V6 would put them at a disadvantage vs the Mustang since it still uses a V8. I wouldn't want a V8less pony car.

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

I think that they suck to discontinue them and they deserve to be reborn.

How about a base model with the old 3800 like the older F-bodies, another higher spec model with the 4200 inline six (270 hp in the trailblazer) or a version of the Northstar V8 and then the highest model with the latest LS1. Also why not ditch one of the models to lower cost or make the Pontiac (sorry firebird fans) into a V6 only model but a better V6 than the 3800, perhaps the new cadillac cts V6 (255 hp i believe, all aluminium) and give it all wheel drive? The Camaro could be retained as the RWD V8 stormer and although Pontiac fans would be mad, why would you make a V8 firebird and a V8 GTO?
    "It's the only car I've ever driven that'll spin the wheels at 200 mph."
    -Mark Donohue, talking about the Penske 917/30 twin-turbo Porsche Can-Am car.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiCuda500
    In my mind, several factors contributed to the demise of the F-car.
    First, they were too expensive. I know that Compared to the Corvette, and Viper, they were cheap, but kids with civics are dropping in turbos, and smoking stock F-Cars.
    Second, they were too big. The way the market is going, kids like smaller cars than they did in the past. Why do you think the Civic, Cavalier, Corolla, and Neon are selling so well? Little cars are more fun to drive, they are more nimble, easier to park, and are generally more responsive.
    Third, they were brutal and impractical. Forget about driving one in the winter, the rear seats were small, they got poor gas mileage, and the suspension was rough.

If GM wanted to bring back their ponycars, they would have to change a few things in order for them to be successful. They would have to scale them down dramatically. Kids love rear wheel drive, so they would have to keep that aspect of the f-car alive, and a more refined v6 might be better than the old 350. I think they should keep it normally-aspirated for reliability's sake, but a smaller v8 in a smaller, lighter car would equal the same performance of the old f-car. I think a lighter car, with rwd, and a smaller engine would result in a lower MSRP. Maybe something based off the current Solstice architecture?

Not allways are little cars more fun to drive, would you rather be driving a little cavelier, or a "big" Camaro SS? Most kids think cars like the cavelier and neon are fun to drive becuse they have never driven a perfomance car.
    What was the last f-car you rode in? My Friend has a 2000 Z28, I can fit comfortably in the rear seat and im 6" tall. The gas milage is one of the best ive seen for a perfomance car, the suspension is much smoother than you give credit for, its smoother than any C4 Corvette ive been in. And as for winter driving, with snow tires and traction control on youll be fine, unless there is a blizzard. The "old" 350 you speak of is physically smaller and lighter than the "high tech" DOHC engine in Cobra. The LS1 is one of the best perfomance engines on the market right now, its light, very powerful, reliable, small, and doesnt consume much gas. Gm has talked about using the Zetta(solstice) platform for the next camaro, and the LS2 will mostlikely be used aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by sutton4481
    How about a base model with the old 3800 like the older F-bodies, another higher spec model with the 4200 inline six (270 hp in the trailblazer) or a version of the Northstar V8 and then the highest model with the latest LS1. Also why not ditch one of the models to lower cost or make the Pontiac (sorry firebird fans) into a V6 only model but a better V6 than the 3800, perhaps the new cadillac cts V6 (255 hp i believe, all aluminium) and give it all wheel drive? The Camaro could be retained as the RWD V8 stormer and although Pontiac fans would be mad, why would you make a V8 firebird and a V8 GTO?
    Only problem with the Northstar in an F-body is its larger, heavier and less gas efficient than the LS1. By simply putting a de-tuned version of the LS1 into the camaro (like they did on the Z28) they save alot of money, space, and weight. If Pontiac does come out with the Firebird, there not going to settle with just a V6 model, its not going to sell good enough. The V8 firebird would be targeted at teens, while the GTO is more of an adult car.

Thread Information