Thread: dodge neon

dodge neon

I was thinking of buying a 2002 dodge neon. I was wondering if there were any problems with neons in particular a 2002.

Thank you

Well, apart from the fact that Neons are slow, ugly, boring to drive, outdated, beaten by many Korean cars and they're ugly, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Well, apart from the fact that Neons are slow, ugly, boring to drive, outdated, beaten by many Korean cars and they're ugly, nothing.
    SP, be nice now.

Not ALL Neon's are slow.

Don't forget there's the SRT-4 :
    -2.4 liter turbocharged 16-valve DOHC engine
    -230 horsepower
    -250 lb.-ft. of torque
    -0-60 in 5.8 seconds

" I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

neons are a great everyday car. i wouldn't go for any neon other than the srt-4, though. you can buy a performance chip for the srt-4.

Channel 4 says:

"The spacious, 1998-facelifted Neon saloon is an interesting but uncompetitive alternative to the mainstream in this market sector. It's not the most refined choice by a long way, but offers a lot of standard equipment. Often overlooked, it would win more attention - especially from younger buyers - as a hatchback.

Well proven in the US, there are few doubts about its mechanical integrity. The build quality's not the most solid, however, with the interior fabrics feeling exceptionally shabby and cheap.

The power-assisted steering is direct, sharp and well weighted; shame that the steering wheel looks like it's been put on upside-down. The Neon is responsive, manoeuvrable and easy to park, it feels much smaller than it really is. The driving position is good, as is visibility. The firm suspension means the Neon sticks to the road well, so it's really rather good for chucking around corners. The 2.0 has plenty of punch, but plenty of noise with it.

The Neon's 2.0 engine makes it quite nippy, with good acceleration and unstressed motorway cruising. It's noisy with it, though. The auto gearbox slows things right down - it's just not up to scratch; the manual is far superior.

The Neon meets all the strict US safety standards, though it is rather lightweight. Twin airbags are standard, and so is ABS. An immobiliser and alarm are standard. The Neon's not really a thief's target though.

The ride is firm (unusual for an American car - the suspension has been stiffened up for Europe) and can get unsettled under pressure; on the whole, though, it's fairly smooth. The cheap plastics inside detract from the impression of comfort, however. Air-conditioning is standard. The cabin is large and airy, with generous head and legroom, considering the Neon's modest length. The boot is a good size, too. A radio/cassette with RDS traffic news is standard, with an optional CD."

Top Gear says
    "Country and western crooner Garth Brookes and the Chrysler Neon have a lot in common. They both try and appeal to a younger generation whilst clearly being past it, and they both have dull looks. Like Garth, the Neon was well proven in the States but hasn't travelled well across the water. Its keen pricing and generous specification are no compensation for unrefined mechanics and a lack of quality and sophistication. Better on the motorway than in town it tends to be a bit noisy, but the steering is sharp and responsive and it's quite manoeuvrable."
    Thanks for all the fish

I had a 1999 Neon SE, 5 speed, 130 hp (advertised) 4 banger, front disks, rear drums. Neons aren't that slow I beg to differ. I had a nice time zipping around town in mine. The problem I had were the rear drums, go too hot into a corner and they will lock up on you. I've never heard of the SRT-4 having that problem since it has 4 wheel disks though. If you can afford it...go fo the SRT-4.

Taz.

To be honest most of Chrysler's new cars are absolute crap. Transmission problems are the biggest issue. Check for yourself at http://www.lemonaidcars.com and search for Neons, you may not like what you read.

Since my 1991 Topaz is dying, I've been car shopping. I looked at the neon as a possible choice, but decided against it for a few reasons. Mostly because of the head gasket issue. I read Phil Edmonston's Lemon-aid used cars and minivans 2005 to help me with my purchase. The neon has had terrible reliability in the past, and the only thing that may help is the 7 year warranty. I really recommend Phil's book for anyone in the market for a new or used car.
    Life begins @ 200 MPH
    There's no replacement for displacement.

Warranty isn't everything tho, I had a Chrysler minivan (before the Windstar I currently own) and in 4 yrs it went through 5 transmissions, I can't really verify that they were new as 1 time I picked it up at the dealer, told everything was good and returned it 3 hrs later to report the problem still existed.

Everything was covered except for the wasted time at the dealership and the general annoyance and inconvenience.

I'm a huge fan of Chrysler musclecars and even the regular cars of that era, todays Chrysler I find disgusting, Chrysler will have to produce something really extraordinary to win me back as a fan and customer .... and I can't imagine that happening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    hey, neons are starting to replace civics when it comes to tuner cars. and anyway, neons are cool, I don't know about any neon probems thus.

Thread Information