Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIA listening to fans.

FIA listening to fans.

Stolen from TheCarLounge.net, which was stolen from ITV's site.
    FANS DEMAND MORE ON-TRACK ACTION IN FIA SURVEY
    Last Updated: Thursday, 07, July, 2005, 15:20

Formula 1 fans have demanded more racing with more emphasis to be placed on driver skill according to the results of the FIA/AMD online fan survey.

The FIA were given the opinions of 93,000 people from 180 countries in the largest poll of its kind, and according to its findings, released on Thursday, fans believe more emphasis should be placed on drivers and less on technological driver aids.

The survey also revealed that fans want a bigger show with 84% of you voting for 18 or more races in a season and 69% calling for more teams to take part.

“Fans from all over the world agree that the most important challenge to F1 in the next five years is to maintain competitive racing," said FIA president Max Mosley.

"Many want to place more emphasis on driver skill and less on driver aids.

"It is also clear that the majority of fans are unhappy with the current qualifying system"

Unsurprisingly fans voted their displeasure at this year's controversial and unpopular qualifying format.

The results of the survey indicated that fewer fans than ever watch it on television and an overwhelming 70% would favour a return to the old, open, qualifying sessions with drivers given a set number of laps.

Several of the fans views tally with the FIA's blueprint for F1 in 2008 and beyond which is designed to put an emphasis on driver skill and fan entertainment.

The regulations proposal, which has now been finalised and sent to the teams calls for downforce to be cut to 10% of current levels, spec' gearboxes and ECUs and a ban on driver aids.

Mosley is likely to use the views of the fans to justify his vision for F1's future.

“These and other views will be an invaluable addition to the consultation process on the future rules of Formula One, which began formally this week," he said.

"For the first time, fans’ opinions will form an essential part of this process.”

I'd love to see the old qualifying format come back. Maybe not with 12 laps, but definitely 6-9.

But this brings into question whether F1 should be the pinnacle of motorsport, with the latest technologies and pushing the envelope; or a viewer-oriented form of racing. By bringing the field closer with spec parts, you give the teams less freedom to develop new technologies, which will in turn limit what road cars eventually see.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

duh!...

i always think F1 should be the pinnacle, its what its always been. for a viewer orineted form of racing maybe a new racing division could start up. Sort of like how nascar has the winston cup and then something else too, the nextel or whatever its called.

The thing is, all this sounds weird because that cutting edge is dulled and the pinnacle has turned into a valley, but if you don't mind watching NASCAR and you've seen a restrictor plate race at Talladega and especially Daytona, the top 10-20 cars are within one to two seconds of each other, the entire race to the finish. It's incredibly exciting and may be unparalleled (by being the tightest racing) by no other sport.

A car in 1st position 5 laps from the finish, or even 2 laps from the finish could end the race in 15th position, and visa-versa. Cars have to rely on teammates, bump-drafting, and a load of blocking to win, and of course, there's always the big 20 car crash.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

A car in 1st position 5 laps from the finish, or even 2 laps from the finish could end the race in 15th position, and visa-versa. Cars have to rely on teammates, bump-drafting, and a load of blocking to win, and of course, there's always the big 20 car crash.

That's exactly why I don't watch NASCRAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    The thing is, all this sounds weird because that cutting edge is dulled and the pinnacle has turned into a valley, but if you don't mind watching NASCAR and you've seen a restrictor plate race at Talladega and especially Daytona, the top 10-20 cars are within one to two seconds of each other, the entire race to the finish. It's incredibly exciting and may be unparalleled (by being the tightest racing) by no other sport.

On this note, Talladega, October 2000... Earnhardt Sr went from 18th to the lead in 6 laps for the win, basically on his own.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    That's exactly why I don't watch NASCRAP.
    Only in RESTRICTOR plate races, aka, like 4 out of the 36? or was it 32 a year. However, they're by far the best races, aside from some good road-course races.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

So NASCARs don't always race around ovals?

Then why is that all we get here (UK) ?

Sears Point, California

Watkins Glen, New York
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    So NASCARs don't always race around ovals?

Then why is that all we get here (UK) ?
    Watkins Glen and Sears Point IIRC

Not the best formula and limited experience in setup makes them not ideal on road circuits.
    Always look WELL out of shape every time I've seen them ( might have something to do with the Miller's being consumed in the sports bars at the time )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Watkins Glen and Sears Point IIRC

Not the best formula and limited experience in setup makes them not ideal on road circuits.
    Always look WELL out of shape every time I've seen them ( might have something to do with the Miller's being consumed in the sports bars at the time )
    Very true. Most of them don't have background in road racing. Which is why some teams have gone out and hired "road ringers" to run those races. For Sears Point last month, Ron Fellows, Boris Said, Brian Simo and Scott Pruett all had rides. Said almost won the race, but got beat by the pit lane entrance light trying to get in for a pit stop before a caution came out. Had to start at the back of the longest line, and worked his way back to 13th before running out of time.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Just a quick note getting back on-topic.. The reason that F1 can't be the pinnacle any more is that it's too expensive. If they wanted to do that, we'd be left with McLaren, Renault, Ferrari and Toyota, and Renault will probably go bust and drop out within 10 years. A series with 4 manufacturers, even if they have 4 cars each, really isn't as interesting as 10 or 14 manufacturers with two cars each. Sure, maybe technology won't be developed and tested in that front line anymore, but there's still supercars for that. I think it'll be interesting to see where it heads down that line, and if they play their cards right it'll work out fine. If the split does occur, I'd imagine one side would die soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    Just a quick note getting back on-topic.. The reason that F1 can't be the pinnacle any more is that it's too expensive. If they wanted to do that, we'd be left with McLaren, Renault, Ferrari and Toyota, and Renault will probably go bust and drop out within 10 years. A series with 4 manufacturers, even if they have 4 cars each, really isn't as interesting as 10 or 14 manufacturers with two cars each. Sure, maybe technology won't be developed and tested in that front line anymore, but there's still supercars for that. I think it'll be interesting to see where it heads down that line, and if they play their cards right it'll work out fine. If the split does occur, I'd imagine one side would die soon.
    If/when F1 splits, it will be the end of both of them. It hasn't worked for CART and IRL yet...
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    If/when F1 splits, it will be the end of both of them. It hasn't worked for CART and IRL yet...
    Yea, but one side will rise from the ashes, or there'd be a merger of sorts. They'd probably call it the Phoenix race series (as in 'from the ashes, rise like a') and use it as a marketing ploy. Then that'll fail too, because we won't care by then.

The regulations proposal, which has now been finalised and sent to the teams calls for downforce to be cut to 10% of current levels, spec' gearboxes and ECUs and a ban on driver aids.
    thats the best idea...

do "driver aids" include automated clutches?
    pondering things

Thread Information