Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 British Grand Prix (Jul 8 - 10)

2011 British Grand Prix (Jul 8 - 10)

Weather is always a good source for excitement in F1, and today was no exception.....Though really the result is caused by a mistake on RBR's part. TBH a lot of pit stops were pretty crappy....Good for Alonso though for winning on the anniversary of Ferrari(and F1's) First world championship win....

Webber had a crappy start, it always seems to be the case when he is on pole....not sure how happy he was not being allowed to try to attack Vettel.

Not sure I agree with the penalty on Schumacher, at least not the choice of penalty with 10 sec stop/go. Hamilton at Monaco certainly didn't get that, and much like Villeneuve said last week, if you already paid the price in the repair of damage, there is little point of punishing the driver again. Probably a combination of a Nigel "my car drives itself" Mansell being the driver steward, British GP, and the driver in question being Schumacher....

Get a German steward in German GP and see what Hamilton will get next race....

Championship is Vettel's to lose....just a matter of how many win he'll collect...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

It was a good day for Ferrari, regardless of how it came to them. Completely agree with your post RM, particularly Schumacher's penalty. The rule supposedly applies to avoidable contact, and the Mercedes clearly lost grip on the wet, the car sliding sideways into Kobayashi.
    At the end of the race Massa had a clean pass on Hamilton for 4th, until Ham going deep hit him... where were the stewards on that?
    Looked completely avoidable.

Congrats to Ferrari... how far the sport is from 1951, when drivers were fat and tires skinny :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

The reason it was a stop/go penalty and not just a drive through is the pit lane cuts out two slow corners, so merely driving through the pits doesn't actually lose you much time at all. As for whether it was warranted, well.. it was consistant with Hambone's penalties in Monaco and whatnot, so fair enough. I'm actually pleased that Ham/Massa didn't get someone a penalty, as I don't think it warranted one. Unfortunately for MSH, Kobayashi spun as a result of the crash so a penalty was applied to even things out.. or something. It could be argued either way, but I'm going to defer to the BBC commentators on it - it was probably avoidable on MSH's part.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

That argument stands true, if MSC escaped the collision unharmed. He already had to drive around with a damaged wing, had an extended stop to fix it, then you give him another stop and go for it? Hence JV's comment....

And even if the pit lane is shorter, it cannot be "faster"....they still have to do it on speed limiter....

While like you I am glad that they don't just throw out penalty all the time, Hamilton's move is made with no less contact, and if not more "deliberate".....and yet no penalty....

British GP, UK's Golden Boy....I am not saying, I am just saying......
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Schumi took the high road and blame, but in the wet "avoidable" is up for debate.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEN0wjt3RxQ&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEN0wjt3RxQ&NR=1[/ame]

Massa's in-car clearly showed Ham making contact. Yes, hard racing but avoidable.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

The Autosport piece said he admitted fault, but was puzzled on the severity of the penalty...

Schumacher says fourth place was possible at Silverstone - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

He drive quite well today despite that....I am still surprised constantly that Rosberg's frequency at just plain bad opening segment of the race....he qualified in 6th or 7th, and was behind MSC by 1st lap's end....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I wasn't thrilled with the outcome, it was nice for Ferrari and all but I am starting to despise them. Seems the FIA is willing to bend the rules if it favors them but I'm probably just being a pain. Ferrari clearly benefited from the change in blown diffuser rules.

Exciting finish with the Vettel-Webber and Hamilton-Massa matchups, but somewhat disappointed that there was no rain and Webber not being able to pass Vettel.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    That argument stands true, if MSC escaped the collision unharmed. He already had to drive around with a damaged wing, had an extended stop to fix it, then you give him another stop and go for it? Hence JV's comment....

And even if the pit lane is shorter, it cannot be "faster"....they still have to do it on speed limiter....

While like you I am glad that they don't just throw out penalty all the time, Hamilton's move is made with no less contact, and if not more "deliberate".....and yet no penalty....

British GP, UK's Golden Boy....I am not saying, I am just saying......
    I'm not sure they take the having to drive a lap with a broken wing thing into consideration, but that is good points. Maybe a stop/go without the 10 second pause would have been a better compromise. Obviously the pitlane isn't faster, it's just not as much of a time loss as usual.

I think the Ham/Massa one is different because no one got taken out and it was less an avoidable crash than a pass attempt that got a little too close together. By that I mean that no one actually crashed or was unduly affected by it (no positions lost). It was pretty late on the brakes for both of them, there was contact, then Massa was going too fast to get around the next corner so Ham got him back.

Here's a vid, until it gets taken down.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x0Dze9858I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x0Dze9858I[/ame]
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    I wasn't thrilled with the outcome, it was nice for Ferrari and all but I am starting to despise them. Seems the FIA is willing to bend the rules if it favors them but I'm probably just being a pain. Ferrari clearly benefited from the change in blown diffuser rules.
    What the FIA actually doesn't want is the championship decided by mid-season. Wheter it favours Ferrari or someone else doesn't matter.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    What the FIA actually doesn't want is the championship decided by mid-season. Wheter it favours Ferrari or someone else doesn't matter.
    Changing the rules during the season, for other reasons than safety concerns, just does not seem fair. If the FIA approved these diffusers once, they should not backtrack on their decision. Rule changes are for the off season. Red Bull deserves the title on the grounds of doing the best job; the show should always be secondary to the sport. F1 is still a sport.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

There were precedence though to this kind of change, just not in the scale like this....think back to the TMD debacle with Renault in 2006. The rule looks like now though will back to before pre-British GP state, if all teams agree to it...

I don't think it was just Ferrari with any beef with blown diffuser, all the Cosworth team does also....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Changing the rules during the season, for other reasons than safety concerns, just does not seem fair. If the FIA approved these diffusers once, they should not backtrack on their decision. Rule changes are for the off season. Red Bull deserves the title on the grounds of doing the best job; the show should always be secondary to the sport...
    I agree completely...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    ...F1 is still a sport.
    ...except for this.

Much like pretty much any other profesional racing series, F1 isn't a sport anymore. It's a business, then an entertainment show.

But if anything, F1 is the one that suffers more from this.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The FIA changing their stance on diffusers halfway through the season is a testament to the, pardon my french, bitching of the other teams. Rather than develop their own cars to compete with Red Bull, they bitch to the FIA, and hence, rules change. The same happened to the legendary Chapparal 2J, and it will continue to happen.
    Thats my take, though to be honest, I cannot confirm that anyone was bitching.

As stated above, I believe that punishment on MSC was pure BS. The conditions were wet, and Englands Golden Child had done the same thing (possibly intentionally) later on and received no punishment. Not to mention, with Schumachers wing gone, he lost several positions before he could replace it. Why punish him again?
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

"maintain the gap"

makes a mockery of RB's constant crying over how they want their drivers to just race

Thread Information