Thread: What is drifting?

What is drifting?

I've heard the term "drifting" more and more, lately. Is it just doing a powerslide? how can there be drifting races? becasue losing traction slows you down... What are the best drifting street cars?
    Life begins @ 200 MPH
    There's no replacement for displacement.

Cool The drift will CONSUME YOU!!!!

Drifting is the technique of sliding your car sideways like a rally car on a paved surface. There are six techniques to employ, Power Drift (basically stomping on the gas and moving it to keep the car under control and in it's torque band) Side Brake Drift (using your emergency brake to slide the car) Shift-Lock Drift (you hit the brakes while snapping off the clutch with out heel/toe then using the gas to keep it sideways) Feint Drift (using sideways weight transfer to get the car sliding) Dynamic Drift (coming in at full speed then suddenly letting off the gas causing the weight to naturally transfer to the front) and Braking Drift (slamming on the brakes in a similar manner in shift-lock, but with out letting off the clutch). The way they have drift races is by first showing your skills individually to qualify and then entering the finals where two cars drift and try to pass each other. They only have a few (like three at the most) laps to try it each time a driver is passed. It the passed driver can not get back around, he is elimenated. Very amazing to watch considering how sideways the pros will get, I'm talking dirt track style side ways. I recommend watching the DVD "Drift Bible" by Best Motoring International (www.bestmotoringvideo.com) and the "Drift King" Keiichi Tsuchiya (Key-echay Su-chy-a). Very good stuff to learn from, and if you are lucky enough to be there, the D-1 Grand Prix now has a round for their All-Stars and Americans at Irwindale Speedway. The best drifting street cars would be most anything rear wheel drive. The most popular that are available here in the US are the Nissan 280SX and the late 80's model of the rear drive Toyota Corolla, but like I said, most anything rear wheel drive would work.

I just read an article on the new Pontiac GTO entering drift racing, sounded completely awesome ^^. All in all, a very cool sport. I guess it's been going on in Japan in various forms for 14 years. I remember the first time I saw it, it was late at night on RealTV. Totally awesome stuff.
    No-so-proud owner of a 1986 Mustang LX with the 2.3L four. Anyone wanna buy it? $500. I'll post some pics and info in the user's rides section soon.

I don't need anything too fancy, just something that can get me to the sun and back in 5 seconds flat.

I wanna see a comparison test between the Saleen SR, Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford GT, and Ferrari Challange Stradale. Anyone wanna help me with that? I already know who'd win, though ;).

basicly drifting is going sideways and burn rubber. Instead of concentrating on speed, style is more important. Well i'm just saying in my point of view and the drift culture in Malaysia. We don't have D1 or whatever, so we just drift for style. I'm still learning how to drift, but i need better suspension setup first. I have to wait for rainy days since I don't have money to get tires all the time

anyone know how to upload file? if not anyone know where i can upload some video so i can share with you guys?
    Last edited by SilverArrowZ; 06-12-2004 at 04:38 AM. Reason: forgot something

[QUOTE=SilverArrowZanyone know how to upload file? if not anyone know where i can upload some video so i can share with you guys?[/QUOTE]
    Looking forward to it.
    Just press te "Manage Attachemnts" button in the adiditional options below the main text box.
    images are limited to 448Kb and Videos to 2Mb.
    If they're elsewhere on the net, it's sometimes easiest/best to provide links to higher rews/bigger files - esp. for vids.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

oh no.. its too big... my friend have the high res one, but i only manage to find a low res version... its a bunch of japanese guys showing off their drift skill and use real life babes as cones... its 11MB... and worse thing is i forget which CD i burn it into... have to turn my house upside down again

hey i found another one in my com, should be small enough to fit in. Not much but pretty nice, 180sx vs S13 (i think, or maybe S14, the camara guys hand is shaking i can't see clearly). Found on the net also, some might have seen it. Should give those who never see drift before an idea of what is drift.
    Attached Files Attached Files

if you like to try drifting but don't have a car, go buy the game called Need For Speed: Underground

they have drift races and the longest drift gives you more points, its not based on who finishes first, and it fun!
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Quote Originally Posted by SilverArrowZ
    hey i found another one in my com, should be small enough to fit in. Not much but pretty nice, 180sx vs S13 (i think, or maybe S14, the camara guys hand is shaking i can't see clearly). Found on the net also, some might have seen it. Should give those who never see drift before an idea of what is drift.
    After looking at the tape, it's an S13. If you look at the head lights, you will see that they are squared up and not rounded like an S14. And, yes that is a good video for those who've never seen a Drift race in action.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeNitroBIRM
    After looking at the tape, it's an S13. If you look at the head lights, you will see that they are squared up and not rounded like an S14. And, yes that is a good video for those who've never seen a Drift race in action.
    thanks for the verification

and here is a bunch of clip i promise earlier. The file is too big so i compress it with window movie maker and split the whole thing to 6 smaller clip. You can use Window Movie Maker to combine them back to see the whole thing. How ever i've lower the quality to 256k/s

first time use window movie maker, so don't blame me if you are unsatisfy with the clip.

Note* the second clip is too big, i'll split it again and post in the next post

ok some more.. include the 2nd clip. Now it is splited into 2a and 2b

combine them together and you will have a complete video (not sure the source file i got is complete or not tho~)

A great video, but numbers five and six are the same! Is there another part or is that it after five?

oh sorry... my bad. It's father's day and i'm in a rush to bring my dad out for lunch, making mistake here... (yum... chicken rice and 32oz cup of hundred plus )

here is the 6th clip

That was awesome, where did you get these from? I wouldn't mind having the site or the name of the video you got it from!

i found them on kazaa... another good site about drift is www.driftsession.com i think... they give simple tips on drifting, like how to peform them.

Thread Information