Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lexus LF-A Concept

Lexus LF-A Concept

Lexus Unveils 500-Plus Horsepower, 200 MPH Sports Car Concept at the 2005 North American International Auto Show
    01/09/2005 Detroit, MI

Lexus unveiled the LF-A sports car concept at a press conference today at the 2005 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). The two-seat concept blends the performance of an exotic sports car with the luxury refinements of a Lexus. Designed to express a bold new direction in styling for the Lexus brand, the LF-A concept is a vision closely aligned with the company's Formula One commitment to achieving superiority among its rivals in speed, quickness, agility and reliability.

"The Lexus LF-A is like no sports car we have ever builtóor even imagined," said Jim Press, Toyota Motor Sales executive vice president and COO. "Currently only a concept, it is a realistic vision of how we might address the boundaries that define the exotic sports car landscape."

The Lexus LF-A concept features an engine capable of developing more than 500 horsepower from a displacement of less than five liters. With a combination of optimum gearing, weight and aerodynamics, the LF-A concept would produce a top speed in the neighborhood of 200 miles per hour.

"The LF-A is theoretically developed to run a parallel course to our company's efforts in Formula One racing," added Press. "It would probably feature a powertrain and drivetrain configuration strongly influenced by whatever is being used in competition at the time."

Inside, the LF-A is designed as a luxury high-speed capsule that blends extravagant comfort with precision operation. Although it is about five inches shorter in length than the Porsche 911 Turbo, its wheelbase is nine inches longer. At 48 inches, it is nearly identical in height to the Ferrari F430. And with a width of 73.2 inches, it splits the difference between the Mercedes Benz SL55 and the Aston Martin DB9.

While the LF-A makes a major statement in how Lexus would define exotic sports car performance, it was conceived to express the emergence of a new direction in styling for the Lexus brand, globally.

"Over the last two years, a new styling philosophy that we call L-Finesse, has taken shape at Lexus Design," said Wahei Hirai, Toyota Motor Corporation's global managing officer of design. "What has emerged from this two-year journey is not just a new direction in philosophy. It is a new design language, based on the dynamism and inherent contrast between simplicity and elegance."

Simplicity, in form and function, reflects styling that is uncluttered and void of extraneous elements. Elegance, inside and out, avoids exaggeration by prioritizing understated luxury that is intriguing, subtle and seamlessóand slightly surprising. The key to the formula is how the visual contrast between simplicity and elegance creates a look that is dynamic, forceful and vigorous.

The LF-A is a fundamental shift in both style and design for Lexus. The positioning and sizing of major components have been redefined and condensed. By taking an entirely different approach to proportion and packaging, designers have achieved the ultimate weight balance, so vital to high-speed handling and stability.

As a total package, the Lexus LF-A concept is a bold statement and a clear indication of the path that Lexus' global design will follow in the near future.

LF-A Specifications:

Two-seat ultra-high performance coupe

Wheelbase: 101.6 inches / 2580 mm

Overall length: 173.2 inches / 4400 mm

Overall width: 73.2 inches / 1860 mm

Overall height: 48.0 inches / 1220 mm

Front tire size: 245/40R19

Rear tire size: 285/35R19
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Lexus LF-A Concept #2

Lexus LF-A Concept #3

Lexus LF-A Concept #4

Lexus LF-A Concept #5

Lexus LF-A Concept #6

Lexus LF-A Concept #7

Surely they could have come up with nicer wheels...

so, can the car reach 200MPH on the track, or is that just what Lexus/Toyota believes it can do?
    "We first fought the heathens in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change." - Serj Tanikan

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - George Carlin

I think this is the "New Supra" that all the rumours have been about.

I'm gunna chop this!

dear god, PLEASE MAKE THIS, LEXUS!!!!!!

concept features an engine capable of developing more than 500 horsepower from a displacement of less than five liters.... "capable" - hmmmm...

Also, I wonder about the engine position... there are air inlets in the rear 1/4's and the ass-end of the car, you can clearly see fans, which are, presumably attached to radiators of some sort... I can't think of an instance when you'd use rear air intakes and rear heat extractors for a front engine car....

Just a couple of things that strike me as odd about this new concept...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn
    Also, I wonder about the engine position... there are air inlets in the rear 1/4's and the ass-end of the car, you can clearly see fans, which are, presumably attached to radiators of some sort... I can't think of an instance when you'd use rear air intakes and rear heat extractors for a front engine car....
    yea, and I can't even fathom the idea of it being a mid/rear engine car

yeah, given that there is no actual, hard facts on the drive train, it's some what curious... what is the layout, how much power is it making, how big is the engine really - it doesn't say... it just says "an engine capable of developing more than 500 horsepower from a displacement of less than five liters." and doesn't say anything about the drivetrain layout... very curious...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Thread Information