Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare Rolls Royce in 4x4??

Rare Rolls Royce in 4x4??

Hello from Spain.I need some information any photos about these cars in some Rally, Paris-Dakar??.Can you help?:Best Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guest Guest
    provide the link seeing as you got it off ucp!

Hmmmm, its not on the rolls royce page on UCP...

Retromobile of Paris this year.I Think.Best regards.

Yeah I remember seeing this on the Retromobile slideshow, but I am curious what it was for. I guess though if you can afford a Roller you can afford to do what you want to it.

Quote Originally Posted by salram
    Retromobile of Paris this year.I Think.Best regards.
    that is correct, I took this shot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hello from Spain.I need some information any photos about these cars in some Rally, Paris-Dakar??.Can you help?:Best Regards.
    Look at the posters behind it. They say Trans Africaine, I assume that is the name of a rally that car participated in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Look at the posters behind it. They say Trans Africaine, I assume that is the name of a rally that car participated in.
    but read carefully, the posters show a rallye to be held in November 2006. AFAIK that is still in the future so it is not so obvious that the car participated
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Didn't it take part in last year's Dakar Rallye?

Edit: No, sorry, it was a Jaguar.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

lol who would rally in a rolls??
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Somebody have any rare photos these cars??Rolls,Jaguar,etc.Best regards.

Somebody have any rare photos these cars??Rolls,Jaguar,etc.Best regards.
    Check the hide-out mate, http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...splay.php?f=23, there's thousands and thousands of high-res pictures in there for the public's use.
    The index, http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=18047, is where all these threads are kept to make it easier for you to browse through, you simply click on a link and you get taken to the thread which contains the specific car you're looking for. Good luck!

Ok.Best regards.

Over the years (decades?), there have been any number of "rally" Rolls-Royce.

I know of at least one Rolls that ran Paris-Dakar, it must have been in the 80's or so. This one was in 1981. It went well in 13th place, when a broken steering axle slows it down, and, although disqualified, it continues to race and reaches the finish.

They always say that RR service is given everywhere, even by helicopter if necessary (though I saw one quite new RR broken down in Spain a couple of years ago, it was towed away). Would this service also apply when rallying one?

The car is actually for sale:
    Rolls-Royce Corniche I Coupe Jules Paris-Dakar for sale, classic cars for sale uk (Car: 61843)
    The Paris Dakar safari rally, created by Thierry Sabine in 1979, is probably the most famous but also the hardest rally for the men and their machines. The 1981 Paris Dakar was no exception and the almost 10.000 Km to drive from Paris to Dakar made it one of the greatest adventure one could compete in with a rally car.
    That year, a very special car is about to be raced in the rally. Thierry de Montcorgé, a competitive driver in safary rally such as Bandama or Nice-Abidjan, is at the origin of a crazy bet : race a Rolls Royce in the Paris Dakar safary rally. What was just an idea during a dinner with friends, became reality few months later with the help of Christian Dior as a main sponsor, using this Rolls to launch its new fragance "Jules", a name the Rolls was often dubbed with.

With Michel Mokrycki's help, the car is built in few months. More than two thousand hours of hard work would have been necessary to get to this fabuous result. The body, which only weights 80 Kg, is a polyester molding of the original one (only the doors, boot and hood are made of aluminium), and the dashboard is the original one. As for the chassis, Thierry de Montcorgé et Michel Mokrycki started from scratch to create a tubular chassis. So as to be raced in the desert, the car had to be fitted with a 4 wheel drive system. This will be done with two Toyota Land Cruiser axles fitted to the car. The original automatic gearbox is replaced by a Toyota manual 4 speed one.
    As for the engine, Michel Mokrycki had chosen a 5.7 L Chevy V8 he knows perfectly. The engine is built to be as reliable as possible, but is even rated at 350 HP with a huge torque. Last but not least, a big 330 Liters fuel tank is fitted behind the seats in a cenral position.
    The Rolls Royce Jules only weights 1400 Kg and is ready to face the desert.

Until the half of the race, the Rolls Jules is ranked at an excellent thirteen place. Unfortunately, a broken steering axle will lead to an accident and long fixing. The Rolls Royce is disqualified, but keep on racing to finish the race. It will be one of the only 40 cars to reach Dakar (out of 170 cars to enter the race).

The famous Rolls Royce Jules has never raced again after the rally. It is fully original and Michel Mokrycki, the builder of the car, offers to fully restore it with new modern axles and bigger brake discs, for an additionnal cost of 30.000 euros. It can be raced in every historical events such as the Transafricaine Classic.

It is a trully exceptionnal car that is part of the big Paris Dakar history, and that will undoubtebly remain as the most original car to have ever competed, and finished, the Paris Dakar safary rally. It is available in Paris and is road registered in France.

There even was one this year:

Why is this ?270,000 limo sitting in the middle of a desert in Chile? It must be Warren Pole on a dry run for the 2009 'Dakar' in a Rolls-Royce Phantom

Reclining within the regal luxury of my leather-lined cabin, I punch a button and wait briefly as the stationary Phantom raises itself three inches on its haunches for maximum ground clearance.

Rolls Royce Phantom on the Dakar rally

A gentle brush of the accelerator and the 6.75-litre V12 motor lurking beneath that vast bonnet responds, stirring the two-and-a-half-ton Rolls into life as it nudges over the dirt ridge ahead.

All I can see as the front wheels drop over the edge is the silver lady on top of the grille, arms aloft as she proudly leads the charge into the dusty void below.

This is the middle of Chile’s Atacama Desert, one of the driest places on Earth, and the ?270,000 Phantom and I are a long way from anything resembling Tarmac.

With the car caked in the filth of the last 3,000 miles, many of those off-road, we are now dropping down a ragged escarpment leading to a vast salt flat.

The only indication from within of the car’s struggle against the desert elements without is the frantic flashing of the traction-control indicator as the wheels endlessly spin and grip.

Remarkably, despite the harsh conditions outside, life in the Phantom’s driving seat remains as dignified as the Queen at a polo match.

Reaching the salt, it becomes apparent it isn’t flat, but crazed with razor-sharp, rock-hard ridges.

With a quick prayer – since I’m 100 miles from the most basic civilisation and it’s two days since I last had mobile reception, a puncture here would be very bad – I press on, and the Rolls crunches across the blinding white flats as the Chilean sun beats down from a cloudless sky.

The reason why I’ve embarked on this more than unusual drive is to check out the new route for the world’s toughest off-road race, the Dakar Rally, which in 2009 will give its African homeland a miss for the first time in its 30-year history and be held in Argentina and Chile instead.

I’m doing it in Live style – in a Rolls-Royce Phantom. But would this sumptuously appointed car – which normally wouldn’t venture outside Mayfair and Britain’s country estates – hold up under the strain?
    Paris to Dakar? I'll take the Rolls thanks very much

Royals Royce is really a classy car. You guys posted good pics of it, thanks for posting this thread.
    ---------
    used auto
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 07-09-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Removed the website ... please no advertising

Thread Information