Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 mile car choice

1/4 mile car choice

i had a discussionn with a co worker about what car i would choose if i had unlimited amt of money for a 1/4 mile. then i got all into it about street or strip and a whole lot of other things. basically i chose a jap car and he chose a muscle car. i thought bull**it. on the strip right now, muscle cars might be dominating (imports are quickly catching up though) but on the street imports are better. you can actually drive the car there and race not tow a muscle car there bc it has slicks on. ne ways i wanted to know what other ppl thought and what car they would choose.

Well, it's difficult to say because you said an unlimited amount of money. Personally, I'd just buy a Top Fuel Dragster.

As far as drag performance-per-dollar goes, you really can't beat an older Ford Fox-Bodied Mustang, with the 5.0 V8. They're dirt cheap, and they can haul ass for very little. Also, they have an pretty damn good stock RWD rear end setup. For the same power-to-weight ratio, it could kill a FWD car.

EDIT: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

I would take a muscle car or a late model Camaro, something with a big V8. You get more consistency with a big naturally aspirated V8 with rear wheel drive. To make power with something like a Supra you have to use a turbo with a lot of boost which makes a lot of lag and therefore isn't consistent. I know a guy with a 700hp Supra, its real fast but wouldn't be a good 1/4 mile car because once the boost kicks in the wheels will start to spin.

Quote Originally Posted by NAZCA C2
    To make power with something like a Supra you have to use a turbo with a lot of boost which makes a lot of lag and therefore isn't consistent. I know a guy with a 700hp Supra, its real fast but wouldn't be a good 1/4 mile car because once the boost kicks in the wheels will start to spin.
    Was in agreement until the tirbo comment.
    Modern turbos and materials make it possible to have a twin turbo setup which reduces lag significantly. But it's harder ( and more expensive ) to plumb in
    He needs to fit an auto box.
    Local drag strip NIssan 300ZX has been seeing off most of the 'classic' cars.
    The auto box lets him wind up the engine (and turbos) before he launches.
    DIfferent technique needed. With a big torquey V* you engage a gear and THEN floor it. Turbo's are closer to race start requirements where clutch control is needed to prevent wheel spin ( and a competition clutch
    But if I was spending my own money to make a drag car, I would start with a V8 !!!!

The NIssan Skyline is the Ultimate 1/4 mile car.. the car can easily get 1000 bhP and is 4 wheeled driven..
    SPEED IS EVERYTHING..!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by G-power
    The NIssan Skyline is the Ultimate 1/4 mile car.. the car can easily get 1000 bhP and is 4 wheeled driven..
    Agreed if you want to drive the car to the track.
    But as EggNog pointed out, for the fastest 1/4 mile get a top fuel dragster

if i had unlimited funds, i'd more than likely get a new BA falcon and supercharge the DOHC 5.4L V8 in it. being cast iron block it would more than likely stand up to anything i'd throw at it and after im finished stripping all the weight out of it, the huge mutha of an engine up front should keep the nose down when it comes time to launch it, hopefully. if i had to go something smaller i think i'd put a supercharged 302 in an old Capri GT500
    I am the Stig

I thank all of you for ur replies. But this is the thing with the top fuel dragster. My co worker said street 1/4. Most of the time drag radials aren't or can't even be used on the street. thanks for the remarks though. id like to say that im not putting down muscle cars. i like a lot of them. but now that i think of it, if i had an unlimited amt of $ why not get like a porsche or a ferrari or even a mclaren and just enhance their already impressive capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by elfonkuete
    I thank all of you for ur replies. But this is the thing with the top fuel dragster. My co worker said street 1/4. Most of the time drag radials aren't or can't even be used on the street. thanks for the remarks though. id like to say that im not putting down muscle cars. i like a lot of them. but now that i think of it, if i had an unlimited amt of $ why not get like a porsche or a ferrari or even a mclaren and just enhance their already impressive capabilities.
    you can upgrade most porsches and ferarris but it would be a sin to try and improve the Mclaren.

Best 1/4 mile car

I would say something like a Dodge Charger R/T or a Hemi Cuda. The have big engines, RWD, lots of torque, perfect for the dragstrip.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

RWD ...definitely !!!

When I see John Force or Doug Kalitta stage in a FWD or AWD then I might change my opinion.

FWD can't launch as hard as RWD because the weight transfers off the drive wheels.

AWD is great for launching but it then has to carry that driveline loss the rest of the way down the track.

I will concede that imports are getting faster, they can't launch as hard as RWD, but their driveline is more efficient once it is "hooked up" and accelerating.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    When I see John Force or Doug Kalitta stage in a FWD or AWD then I might change my opinion.
    elfonkuete has already pointed out it's not top fuel dragsters.
    So that's john and Doug's choice for 1/4 irrelevant

I did read that, and the reason I mentioned it anyway, was to point out the best drivetrain layout for the best possible results. If FWD were better for 1/4 mile acceleration, we would see it from amateur street/strip racers all the way up to the top professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    I did read that, and the reason I mentioned it anyway, was to point out the best drivetrain layout for the best possible results. If FWD were better for 1/4 mile acceleration, we would see it from amateur street/strip racers all the way up to the top professionals.
    OK, but I'd never argue an FWD.\
    An AWD makes a good street compromise especially with bullet-proof drivetrain like the Skyline. Or the lighter weight of a Scooby or EVO

Quote Originally Posted by NAZCA C2
    I would take a muscle car or a late model Camaro, something with a big V8. You get more consistency with a big naturally aspirated V8 with rear wheel drive. To make power with something like a Supra you have to use a turbo with a lot of boost which makes a lot of lag and therefore isn't consistent. I know a guy with a 700hp Supra, its real fast but wouldn't be a good 1/4 mile car because once the boost kicks in the wheels will start to spin.
    Why not put performance high-grip tires on it, so the wheels wont spin?
    Or, you could ad a nice spoiler or something.
    I'm only 15, so i dont have a car, though I would like to get an RX8 (though I would have to mod it like crazy before I would want to drive it) and I would also like to put a Wankel on a bike. (240 hp=200+mph)

Thread Information