Thread: Window Tint

Window Tint

So today, i left my house took the sexy beast out the garage. She was all clean shiney and sparkly (later to turn pollen green....). Around 7:40, i picked up my friend on my way to school. Made a stop sign right then stopped at a light. My front two windows were down. So you have an east indian looking (yet really west indian) driver and a colombian spanish passenger. In broad daylight in a nice car driving normal. I pass through the light when suddenly i hear sirens, I look up and see an unmarked van behind me with his lights flashing and the driver in a police uniform signaling me to pull over. I pull over thinking CRAP! what did i do? did i stop at the stop sign? So i pull over and he approaches the vehicle, first words out of his pig mouth in a rude tone were, "Who's does this car belong to?" So i calmy said, "It's my parents officer." It is registered in their name. He then asks for my license registration and insurance. As i look for it, he asks me if I know why he pulled me over. Now i'm thinking well how the hell am i supposed to know, tell me! so i asked no officer why. He said the tint on my rear windshield was too dark. Now my windows are tinted 35% on the sides and 20% rear glass. It's not dark at all especially in the day time with sun light inside and all the light passing from my sun roof. He couldn't see my front windows because they were down the whole time. I thought it was only illegal to have tint on the driver passenger front. But he said you can't touch rear windshield. Now i don't know because i thought rear windshield was fine to do what you wanted as long as you had side mirrors present. In the end he gave me a summons, not a ticket. didn't tell me if i had to appear in court. just said i have to get a recipt showing that i got it removed and it'll go away but it doesn't go on my license or insurance. so i have no clue but it was a shitty start to my morning. My first time being pulled over but no moving violation yet! I was not happy at all. So tahts my story, anybody have any info about legal window tinting and what i should do? i'm sure many of you have been in this situation too.

THe picture is me sitting on her and you can clearly see on the sides that oyu can see through my tint which is not liek other ppls who do 5%. Only pic i had of the rear
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coolieman1220; 05-06-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Add Picture
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Your trunk lid has a dent in it.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Im not sure what the legal standards are in your state. Call you local Distract A and ask him/her. 20% rear is legal where I am from. His statement that no rear window tinting seems fishy. 35%,35%,20% is standard in WI
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Your trunk lid has a dent in it.
    come again? No dent, the camera may make it seem that way
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    come again? No dent, the camera may make it seem that way
    After you sat on it, it has a dent.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Over here it is rear windows 70%, front side windows 30% and front windshield 20% light not passing through allowed. Do you know how much it is darkened in your case?

That doesn't make much sense because I've seen many vans in New York with 50% and higher tint grades. I don't know, I guess you should call your local police precinct.

Hi new here. I have quick search and found these. In New York you can tint your back glass and rear side window as dark as you want. The front side windows must not be so dark so that the law enforcement official cannot see the occupant. A simple test: Open your drivers door, standing outside the vehicle and place your hands on inside of the glass, if your hand is not visible, your tint is illegal.
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 05-28-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Spam link removed

New York says you can have anything you want on the rear glass. I'm going as dark as possible to end SUV's headlight glare through my rear view mirror. The cop was just being an asshole because you're young and driving a nice car.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thread Information