Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old school "drifting"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

old school "drifting"

[ame="http://vimeo.com/16472492"]Kyalami Drift, An Axis Remix on Vimeo[/ame]

Fantastic footage found from F1 racing at Kyalami in 1971 South African Grand Prix

For me Chris Amon pulls it off best in the Matra -- no surprise
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

"Drifting" was done when the A/C Cobra was being driven by Carol Shelby, before he went senile and started making all these special edition Shelby cars.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 01-16-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Love old footage like that Matra, thanks for posting. Even as car tracks widened and fat(ter) tires, all those guys regularly drifted corners because they had to. I love watching 1930s footage of the big Mercedes, Auto Unions and Alfas using every inch of track. There's also plenty of footage from 1950-60s F1 races that illustrate the classic 4-wheel drift, a very different thing. Vintage races are a great place to watch the technique since it's still the only way to hustle a skinny-tire car though a fast sweeper.
    Great fun to watch, how about with an old Jag sedan?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKJDaNmbZHs&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKJDaNmbZHs&feature=related[/ame]
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    "Drifting" was done when the A/C Cobra was being driven by Carol Shelby, before he went senile and started making all these special edition Shelby cars.
    Shelby worked the deal with AC cars and Ford to create and market the Cobra, but never drove one in a race. His racing career ended in October 1959 because of his health. Pretty sure ego and profit drove the production of so many special edition Shelbys, not senility.
    He's still pretty sharp... though by now he's probably autographed at least 50% more cars than he built.
    Last edited by csl177; 01-16-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Shelby worked the deal with AC cars and Ford to create and market the Cobra, but never drove one in a race. His racing career ended in October 1959 because of his health. Pretty sure ego and profit drove the production of so many special edition Shelbys, not senility.
    He's still pretty sharp... though by now he's probably autographed at least 50% more cars than he built.
    Darn, I assumed that he drove too. Should have looked it up.

Yup, never knew an autograph would make cars worth so much.

Thanks guys the "old school drifting" was nothing to do with what the kiddies get up to today.

Back then it was the car on the limit and trying to go fastest to win a race.
    I'm on record as describing current drifting more akin to competition ice dancing where "style" gets points and by necessity they are takign corners slower than they MIGHT achieve if they coudl keep the wheels in the right places and maintain traction

"drifting" was done from the first time man started racing cars and speed exceeded grip
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

"drifting" was done from the first time man started racing cars and speed exceeded grip
    thats what makes it fun.. it's not supposed to happen and it takes effort to get there.
    entering events where that's all you're supposed to do, in cars that kick out as soon as you touch the throttle, makes it mundane..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    thats what makes it fun.. it's not supposed to happen and it takes effort to get there.
    entering events where that's all you're supposed to do, in cars that kick out as soon as you touch the throttle, makes it mundane..
    Grip is for pussys.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

^^ with you on that 100%

Wasnt this also brought on with the crossply tyres?
    I am the Stig

race tyres are a different case, but road for sure.
    Going out in a classic with new cross ply tyres is scary.
    Can't beleive everyone drove on such bad rubbber once

Amon prolly had to make an extra pit stop too, he looked to be the only one getting smoke off that left rear. It prolly wore that tire down real fast.

I wish you could see some of that in modern F1.. good video. Also a good reason for including gradients on your corners/tracks
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

daerek, modern F1 circuit requirements would not let them have blind apexes and off camber corners

All hail health and safety !!!!

WHY we must fight to retain every original old race track/circuit out there as no new ones will ever come close

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    This brings up an interesting story. Upon being asked where he learned to drift, I believe it was Bob Bondurat who said something along the lines of "driving Cobras in Europe."
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Grip is for pussys.
    ...and those without adequate reflexes. See below for the proper stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    This brings up an interesting story. Upon being asked where he learned to drift, I believe it was Bob Bondurat who said something along the lines of "driving Cobras in Europe."
    Well, sort of. When he added drifting to his driving school in 2004, Car & Driver naturally covered it since it was motosport's New Big Thing. Bondurant said "It's been around for 14 years in Japan, where it originated. My grandson and I went to California Speedway to watch a demonstration with some of the Japanese champions, and I thought, 'Wow, this is really fun.' Of course, we've been power-sliding for years. When I raced the Cobras, the only way to go fast was in a four-wheel drift."

And still is. Power slides and controlled drifting have been around since the era of fat drivers and skinny tires. Pascal Pandelaar is actually pretty skinny, but check out his car control and drift technique on wheels and tires approved for vintage class.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-hXjerSPMw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-hXjerSPMw&feature=related[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ84Fa-AqXY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ84Fa-AqXY[/ame]
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information