Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1966 Plymouth (Fury) VIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1966 Plymouth (Fury) VIP

Owning 3 cars already, I don't really need (or want) another car. However, I have had an interest in the 1966 Plymouth Fury. One of my brothers owned a '66 Fury III from 1976-1998 (318-cu-in V-8, auto, 2-door hardtop).

I always did like his car and have known about the top-of-the-line Fury called the VIP. I received a catalog a few days ago and didn't realize the options which were available on the VIP which were not available on the other Fury series. Features such as imitation wood grain on interior & exterior, reading lights in the rear and thicker carpet and a standard V-8 engine.

The other Fury series came with the 225-cu-in 6-cylinder standard. The VIP came with the 318- 2 bbl V-8 standard. Other engines available were the 383-2 bbl, 383-4 bbl and 440-4 bbl. I would prefer the 383-4 bbl. The VIPs were a relatively heavy car, about 4,200 lbs, and the 318 engine had a lot of weight to push!
    The wheelbase for these cars was 119", overall length was 209.8" and width 78.7".

So, I will be "casually" checking ebay and craigslist and other car-related ads and may check out a Fury if I am interested in one in my area. The VIP is a first choice, but I may consider a Sport Fury (these came with bucket seats and a console) or maybe a Fury III. From what I've read, the VIP was not a big seller and it's possible that even less were built than even my '76 limo (834 built for 1976).

Here are some photos:

Sport Fury:

-Fleet 500
    '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine
    '95 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

The 4 doors boot must be absolutley massive...look at the length of that tail!

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    Well, he has a limousine.

This will be like a Fiat 500 in comparison.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well, he has a limousine.

This will be like a Fiat 500 in comparison.
    Yeah, it will feel almost small. Even my downsized Lincoln is longer (it is 218.9" VS 209.8").

Like many American cars, the Fury grew longer into the late-'60s and early '70s. It was about 213" by '68 and over 215" by '69-'70. Most of that was probably due to the bumper.

Here are more photos.
    As was true with most '60s American cars, there was a wide choice in exterior color selection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Very nice car. I'm a big fan of the vertically stacked headlights. Good luck with your search.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    Yeah, the rear overhang it quite long, much more than the front overhang. Makes for a roomy luggage compartment, though!

how much does one of this cost?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    how much does one of this cost?
    A wide variation in price. About $2,500 for one in fair condition which runs okay up to at last $10,000 for one in very good to execellent condition.
    An advantage is that they are not muscle cars, so in general they are not priced ridiculously high as many (most?) muscle cars are.

There is one on ebay which just ended. The bids went up to $5,100 but the reserve was not met. Item number is: 310139132345.

Fleet, if you ever buy one you should take it to Monaco during the GP and put all the team bosses' yachts to shame.

The styling reminds me of the Imperial from the same year (character lines, forward rake etc...) as does the size. Did they share a platform? The Imperial was at the top of its game in '66, imo, as far as '66 fullsizers go that'd be the one I'd pick. I realize that the VIP has some sentimental value for you, but have you ever considered an Imperial of that vintage?

Btw, I saw a early '60s Continental on 20" chromies, it was awful. Have you ever considered one of those (minus the bling, of course)?
    Sorry for rambling a little.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Fleet, if you ever buy one you should take it to Monaco during the GP and put all the team bosses' yachts to shame.
    Yeah, that would be funny.

The styling reminds me of the Imperial from the same year (character lines, forward rake etc...) as does the size. Did they share a platform? The Imperial was at the top of its game in '66, imo, as far as '66 fullsizers go that'd be the one I'd pick. I realize that the VIP has some sentimental value for you, but have you ever considered an Imperial of that vintage?
    I'm not quite sure if they share the same platform. I think the Imperial shares the platform with the Chrysler New Yorker and Newport. It is possible that the Imperial is on a stretched Fury platform. Oddly, the same seller also has a '63 Imperial up for auction. I haven't really considered an Imperial; I have considered a '66 Chrysler 300, though. Unfortunately, I can only pick one more car! Not 3-4 more.

Btw, I saw a early '60s Continental on 20" chromies, it was awful. Have you ever considered one of those (minus the bling, of course)?
    Sorry for rambling a little.
    An early '60s Continental? One of those would be interesting. But, again, I can't buy every car I like!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    An early '60s Continental? One of those would be interesting. But, again, I can't buy every car I like!
    I'd go for the Conti. For some reason I've always liked it quite a lot.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'd go for the Conti. For some reason I've always liked it quite a lot.
    Well, I was never a '60s Ford man. Always Mopar and Cadillac.
    Not that I wouldn't want a Ford... I do like the '66 Fairlane XL and GT with the 390 Hi-po engine.

But I don't really have an interest in early-mid-'60s Lincolns so I'll leave those for someone else. I do like early-to-mid '70s Lincolns, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Well, I was never a '60s Ford man. Always Mopar and Cadillac.
    Not that I wouldn't want a Ford... I do like the '66 Fairlane XL and GT with the 390 Hi-po engine.

But I don't really have an interest in early-mid-'60s Lincolns so I'll leave those for someone else. I do like early-to-mid '70s Lincolns, though.
    I always I always liked the early Plymouth GTX, gentleman's muscle car.

Preferably with a Hemi, but a 440 would do. With a four on the floor, obviously.

Also a favourite of mine the 50's Chryslers. For some reason I find them utterly cool.
    Visca Catalunya!

Step back kids, the carrier is coming!
    Congratulation Fleet!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information