Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1966 Plymouth (Fury) VIP

Of course I think that even as fast as the speedometer would climb, the fastest of the gauges was the one that went from "F" to "E"

Heavy steel construction, big engine, even the horn meant business when you honked it. They sure don't make them like that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by trptman View Post
    Of course I think that even as fast as the speedometer would climb, the fastest of the gauges was the one that went from "F" to "E"

Heavy steel construction, big engine, even the horn meant business when you honked it. They sure don't make them like that anymore
    My brother's '66 318 Fury III averaged 15 mpg. I suppose the 383-4 bbl averaged around 13 mpg. The 225-cu-in 6-cylinder ones would give 17-19 mpg but weren't much fun to drive. However, even 13-15 mpg is better than some of the larger modern SUVs.

Incidentally, the biggest engine available for these cars in '66 was the 440-cu-in, rated at 365 hp and 480 lbs/ft torque. They were said to do 0-60 mph in 7.0 seconds and top out at 130 mph.

Yep, I remember the horn in my brother's Fury. Sounded like a real horn (HONK HONK!), not like many of today's "horns" (beep beep).

Another '66 VIP just showed up on ebay (item number 140323402042). The buy-it-now price is kind of up there at $9,170. It does look like it's in good condition.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

I followed one of those a few minutes ago on my way back from work. It was light blue and appeared to be completely original. That thing has presence.

Huge car is huge.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    I followed one of those a few minutes ago on my way back from work. It was light blue and appeared to be completely original. That thing has presence.

Huge car is huge.
    They are quite big. And wide at 78.7"; that is wider than my '95 Lincoln Town Car which is 76.7".

I don't really expect to find one in the near future (1-2 months) since it is a 40+ year-old car. But I'll be looking through the ads just in case.

Another VIP showed up on ebay. I took some quick photos off my monitor.

Item number is 130309520760.

This one has the 383-4 bbl engine with working A/C and power windows/steering/brakes. 89,000 miles. I think I'll see how high the bids go and see what happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fleet, if you ever buy one you should take it to Monaco during the GP and put all the team bosses' yachts to shame.

The styling reminds me of the Imperial from the same year (character lines, forward rake etc...) as does the size. Did they share a platform? The Imperial was at the top of its game in '66, imo, as far as '66 fullsizers go that'd be the one I'd pick. I realize that the VIP has some sentimental value for you, but have you ever considered an Imperial of that vintage?

Btw, I saw a early '60s Continental on 20" chromies, it was awful. Have you ever considered one of those (minus the bling, of course)?
    Sorry for rambling a little.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Fleet, if you ever buy one you should take it to Monaco during the GP and put all the team bosses' yachts to shame.
    Yeah, that would be funny.

The styling reminds me of the Imperial from the same year (character lines, forward rake etc...) as does the size. Did they share a platform? The Imperial was at the top of its game in '66, imo, as far as '66 fullsizers go that'd be the one I'd pick. I realize that the VIP has some sentimental value for you, but have you ever considered an Imperial of that vintage?
    I'm not quite sure if they share the same platform. I think the Imperial shares the platform with the Chrysler New Yorker and Newport. It is possible that the Imperial is on a stretched Fury platform. Oddly, the same seller also has a '63 Imperial up for auction. I haven't really considered an Imperial; I have considered a '66 Chrysler 300, though. Unfortunately, I can only pick one more car! Not 3-4 more.

Btw, I saw a early '60s Continental on 20" chromies, it was awful. Have you ever considered one of those (minus the bling, of course)?
    Sorry for rambling a little.
    An early '60s Continental? One of those would be interesting. But, again, I can't buy every car I like!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    An early '60s Continental? One of those would be interesting. But, again, I can't buy every car I like!
    I'd go for the Conti. For some reason I've always liked it quite a lot.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'd go for the Conti. For some reason I've always liked it quite a lot.
    Well, I was never a '60s Ford man. Always Mopar and Cadillac.
    Not that I wouldn't want a Ford... I do like the '66 Fairlane XL and GT with the 390 Hi-po engine.

But I don't really have an interest in early-mid-'60s Lincolns so I'll leave those for someone else. I do like early-to-mid '70s Lincolns, though.

Well, I was never a '60s Ford man. Always Mopar and Cadillac.
    Not that I wouldn't want a Ford... I do like the '66 Fairlane XL and GT with the 390 Hi-po engine.

But I don't really have an interest in early-mid-'60s Lincolns so I'll leave those for someone else. I do like early-to-mid '70s Lincolns, though.
    I always I always liked the early Plymouth GTX, gentleman's muscle car.

Preferably with a Hemi, but a 440 would do. With a four on the floor, obviously.

Also a favourite of mine the 50's Chryslers. For some reason I find them utterly cool.
    Visca Catalunya!

I always I always liked the early Plymouth GTX, gentleman's muscle car.

Preferably with a Hemi, but a 440 would do. With a four on the floor, obviously.

Also a favourite of mine the 50's Chryslers. For some reason I find them utterly cool.
    Me, too. I like the GTX, especially the '69 with 440.
    One with a Hemi, of course, would have a very high asking price (one in good condition, that is).

440s, with their (rated) 480 lbs-ft of torque do fine. I would want one with a 3-speed Torqueflite in which I would put in a shift kit.

And, yes, those '50s Chryslers I like too. Favorite of those being the '57 Chrysler 300-C. But I also like the '57 Fury (dual-carb 318 engine) and the '57 DeSoto with the 345-Hemi engine rated at 345 hp.

And, yes, those '50s Chryslers I like too. Favorite of those being the '57 Chrysler 300-C. But I also like the '57 Fury (dual-carb 318 engine) and the '57 DeSoto with the 345-Hemi engine rated at 345 hp.
    Of course, the letter series 300s of the 50's are great especially the early ones. I like the F (which actually is from 1960), with the 4 speed Pont-à-Mousson gearbox, but that must be ultra rare. But the very early ones are great too.
    Visca Catalunya!

4 speed Pont-à-Mousson gearbox
    Whazzat?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Whazzat?
    Google, Cameron.

Cameron, Google.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says: