Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mustang vs Camaro

mustang vs Camaro

First of all, Hi everyone! Long time no see, sorry I havent been around but they've been working me like a dog. the good news is that the hard work has been paying off because I have received an "unofficial" job offer from my firm. It should be official within the next couple weeks. Which of course leads me to my next point...

I am going to spend about 35,000 max on a new car in may. I want a sports car that is fun, seats four, and goes 0-60 in less than 5 seconds and does the 1/4 mile in the very low 13's or high 12's.

That leaves me pretty much with the new mustang and new camaro. As most of you probably already know, i have been a camaro whore for quite some time. I have owned 2 myself and my parents own a 2010 z28. They came by to visit the other weekend and their camaro was basically "my car" for the weekend. I tested it quite extensively. My mom, my dad, my wife, and I went on a 5 hour road trip, i screwed around with the handling at various times, and of course, i screwed around with the acceleration at various times.

there are a lot of things I like about this car. First of all is the styling. I personally dont like it very much, but it is growing on me and it seems to invoke involuntary seizures from onlookers from every walk of life. At the least, it looks unique.

Second, I like the interior. The fit and finish and the quality of the materials is definitely top notch for the price. It is also very comfortable both in the front and the back. The gauges are absolute junk and the speedometer is basically useless. I am also not crazy about the buttons for the HVAC and radio. However, overall the interior is very nice and it seems like it will be durable in the future.

Third, and most significantly, I like the ride. The camaro just glides over bumps and it is extremely planted, smooth, and solid. The camaro is so solid, that it inspires confidence if you are driving it.

I like the engine, its got a good exhaust note, and in typical small block fashion, it has gobs of torque throughout the power band, and it is smooth. However, I prefer the LS1 in my 2002 z28, the LS3 feels less responsive than the LS1 and needs to rev quite a bit before its making a lot of power. The LS3 feels significantly faster during the last 2000 rpm's than the first 4000 rpms. My LS1, in contrast feels like it makes the same power at 2500 as it goes at redline (i know this isn't the case, but thats how it feels).

the transmission is pretty good too. Its not quite a 911 but compared to the old t56 in my 2002 or the t-5 in my old z28

However, there are a lot of things I dont like...

First, the camaro is kind of slow. the numbers are fast, but when you are driving it, it does not feel fast. There are very few times when you step on it and go "wow, this car is fast" I dont know if its the suspension or what but my 2002 SS feels faster, and much much more responsive. I think a lot of this comes down to the camaro's high weight, and is compounded by the heavy wheels and tall rear end. I also raced my dad several times from a roll and beat him 5 out of 6 times in my car.

The interior, as nice as it is, also kind of sucks because the visibility is horrible. you have to spend quite a bit of time adjusting the seat to be able to see moderately well, the rear window is useless but there is no backup camera, the A and B pillars are massive, the doors are too high so i cant comfortably put my arm on the door out the window, there are huge blind spots, and the rear view mirror basically cuts already tiny windshield in half. For as much confidence as the the suspension and chassis inspire, most of that confidence is sucked away as soon as you get ready to turn because you cant see very well.

But most importantly, and this is what made me even consider looking at the mustang, the camaro does not feel sporty at all, and it is no fun to drive! It is heavy, it drives heavy, its just so smooth that its almost boring, its unresponsive, it doesn't feel fast and the visibility is like driving a submarine. All these things combine to make you feel like you aren't really driving a sports car. its great for my mom who just wants something less boring than a lexis, but doesn't really care about performance that much but I am buying a car to have a little fun on my way to work without sacrificing all comfort and practicality. the camaro nails the practicality and comfort, but misses the fun. I feel like i would tire of the camaro quickly because driving it is just like driving a normal car, just with a lot more power.

So the other day, i did the unthinkable and test drove a 2011 mustang GT.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

we are eagerly awaiting a full report on your unprecedented move
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    2010 z28
    How is that possible?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

so really, every time i drive the camaro, I like it less and less.

Now you have to realize that im such a chevy guy that even considering buying a mustang is the equivalent of an israeli joining hamas.

So here is my take on the mustang.

1) Looks. I personally probably like it more or about the same as the camaro (im not too crazy about the looks of either car). However, other people seem to not really give a hoot about the mustang. Personally, i dont really care too much about how many thumbs up I get driving the road, but that must tell you something about the styling of your car right?

2) Interior. Very close to the camaro here but maybe a very slight edge goes to the camaro. The mustangs is laid out better and is much more functional and in my opinion just about as good looking. However, it doesn't feel as quality, it feels like in 10 years it wont look as nice as the camaro's. Also, there are cost cutting measures throughout. For example, the front has "soft touch" plastic while the back seat has hard plastic. The ambient lighting also feels very tacked on compared to the camaro. the gauges are much better on the mustang than the camaro. also, you can actually see out of it! Which is a definite plus. Overall, i would call it a wash, some parts of the mustang are nicer and some parts of the camaro are nicer. the mustang has the visibility going for it though. One big plus for the mustang is that it has a USB port. The camaro doesn't!

3) Comfort. PRetty similar in both cars. The mustangs back seat is probably slightly bigger than the camaros. and once again, the better visibility and bigger windows makes the mustang feel more comfortable and bigger even if it isn't. the trunk is about the same on both cars but the mustang has a 50-50 split back seat so you can still have someone in the back and carry golf clubs or something.

4) Ride quality. Both cars are very similar here also, but slight edge to the camaro. The mustang is solid, planted and smooth. The camaro soaks up bumps must better but if you were to blind fold me, i would say that 80% of the time, i wouldn't know which car I was in just based on ride quality.

5) handling. Advantage mustang. the mustang's steering is simply magical! It is light, sporty, crisp, and responsive. I've never driven a car with such good steering! Also, intangibly, the car just handles, feels, and drives like its a sports car. It doesn't feel like a boat with two doors like the camaro. It just feels and drives more fun and from what limited time i had on the test drive, it feels like it handles slightly better than the camaro. However, the brakes are better on the camaro, although the mustang I drove did not have the brembo brake package.

5) Engine. Very close. The mustang I drove had the tallest rear end available. Even still it felt about the same as a camaro. the camaro felt like it has more torque and the mustang needs to be revved a little bit more than the camaro to really feel the power. However, the mustangs motor is so smooth and it revs so nicely and quickly that it ends up being a wash. However, like is said, i drove the mustang with the fuel saver rear end and it was pretty close to the camaro, had i driven the 3.73 rear end I think the mustang would have felt significantly faster.

The mustang had a better exhaust note at start up and redline but the camaro's was better at idle and when just driving along at a leisurely pace.

6) transmission. mustang by far. It felt very light and crisp and it was easy to shift.

I may not make it clear when writing this comparison, but If i were to buy a car tomorrow, it would probably be a 2011 mustang GT! The camaro and the mustang are both great cars but everything is just about even on them. However the mustang is just soooooo much more fun to drive!! It feels like a sports car, it feels different from a normal car. I see myself having fun driving that car to work and road trips and stuff. its a real drivers car and because of this it addresses the biggest problem I have with the camaro.

That is my take, what is yours? Which of these two cars would you get if you were me?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    we are eagerly awaiting a full report on your unprecedented move
    haha there it is henk, i had to break it up into two!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    How is that possible?
    sorry, typo. I have a 2002 z28 and they have a 2010 SS.

Mustang probably. Have you tried the Genesis?
    Visca Catalunya!

Mustang probably. Have you tried the Genesis?
    It doesn't meet my performance requirements. Its also ugly.

emmm, minor point....do they differ in mileage? Fuel prices may be on the up in the not to distant future...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think the mustang gets 1mpg better on both the highway and the city so no big difference there. They are both in the mid 20's on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    I think the mustang gets 1mpg better on both the highway and the city so no big difference there. They are both in the mid 20's on the highway.
    so about 15 in real life?

At their speed they'll probably be matching the official figures more than we do...
    Visca Catalunya!

haha probably closer to 11 on fast days.

My 2002 is rated at 26mpg highway but on an 8hr drive from dallas to nebraska I managed to average 26 total, but on one of my tanks I got 28mpg. But considering that both these cars have about 100 more hp than mine, i am assuming i wont be seeing 28mpg again any time soon.

At their speed they'll probably be matching the official figures more than we do...
    but then, why 300 plus BHP?

but then, why 300 plus BHP?
    To reach 14mph as fast as possible?
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information